Gloucester mooring for a week

BoatyCath

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Hoping someone familiar with Gloucester can advise...

I'm planning to arrive in Gloucester from the Tewkesbury direction on either Sunday or Monday. For various reasons, and a wish to spend some time seeing Gloucester, I need to moor in the vicinity of the city centre for up to a week before moving on. Lots of info around and on here about the visitor moorings in the docks being 48hr, but is there anywhere else safe and close to the city available to moor for a few days longer? Not sure if the usual option of mooring at any suitable place on the towpath applies on a commercial waterway... thank you!

Edited by BoatyCath

17 hours ago, BoatyCath said:

Hi folks,

Hoping someone familiar with Gloucester can advise...

I'm planning to arrive in Gloucester from the Tewkesbury direction on either Sunday or Monday. For various reasons, and a wish to spend some time seeing Gloucester, I need to moor in the vicinity of the city centre for up to a week before moving on. Lots of info around and on here about the visitor moorings in the docks being 48hr, but is there anywhere else safe and close to the city available to moor for a few days longer? Not sure if the usual option of mooring at any suitable place on the towpath applies on a commercial waterway... thank you!

There is very little commercial traffic on this waterway, you are free to moor up just about anywhere, but not between the lights and the bridges.  It is also wide, so you can turn a narrow boat easily.  Don’t fall in as even at the side it can be deep.

It takes about 5 hours to get from Gloucester to Sharpness and nobody slows down when passing moored boats as there is no need.

7 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

There is very little commercial traffic on this waterway, you are free to moor up just about anywhere, but not between the lights and the bridges.  It is also wide, so you can turn a narrow boat easily.  Don’t fall in as even at the side it can be deep.

It takes about 5 hours to get from Gloucester to Sharpness and nobody slows down when passing moored boats as there is no need.

I once saw BWB on there with a radar speed gun like the police use

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:31, ditchcrawler said:

Is that near the lightship?

I think he means on the right on the way out of Gloucester, after Monks Meadow, before Hempstead Bridge, where the new houses are opposite the timber yards, where the wall is quite high. The tall ships usually moor there before the festival.