Elsans on the Bridgewater

MHS

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, catweasel said:

All the times I have been past there, and never knew about this!

Got to admit that despite being regulars on that stretch, I always thought that was the pub mooring!

Admittedly, we usually use the services at Wigan Top or Henhurst before heading for Leigh, so don't usually need services there.

Do we know for sure that Worsley services are shut?  I have been told that many times before, but my Watermate key has always fitted the gate lock, and the elsan has always flushed despite the word on the cut ...

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Got to admit that despite being regulars on that stretch, I always thought that was the pub mooring!

Admittedly, we usually use the services at Wigan Top or Henhurst before heading for Leigh, so don't usually need services there.

Do we know for sure that Worsley services are shut?  I have been told that many times before, but my Watermate key has always fitted the gate lock, and the elsan has always flushed despite the word on the cut ...

I don't know whether Worsley is open but, like you, after many years passing through that stretch only recently discovered the services at Butts Bridge and find them much more convenient than Worsley or Wigan for access.

Not sure if you've been through yet, but we used the Elsan under the Golden Fleece this morning. Never knew it was there till we saw another boater with their cassette and enquired! I was actually going to start a thread just pointing it out, but this post will probably be found by anyone searching for info on Elsans on the Bridgewater in future, so... here's a pic of where it is, the unmarked door by the Car Park Notice. As far as I can see it's not mentioned in Nicholson's, on CanalPlan, or on Peel's website, but it's there, accessible and working (albeit you have to use the hose to flush).

20190709_102658.jpg

Here’s photos of Butts Bridge Elsan which is on the offside near the pub as mentioned before. All clean enough & working, if a little smelly due to limited ventilation. I hadn’t realised there was a water point, here so it will save us having to fill at Plank Lane. 

090A4EF2-ED0B-4167-9097-B27D359EF452.jpeg

7BCD40F8-76C6-4703-9006-6C99B378B554.jpeg

• Greenie 2

And the water pressure was good too. 

Im not a fan of water taps in the entrance to a building that’s an Elsan. You have to hope everyone is as clean as yourself. It was ok though. 

On 11/07/2019 at 13:19, MHS said:

And the water pressure was good too. 

Im not a fan of water taps in the entrance to a building that’s an Elsan. You have to hope everyone is as clean as yourself. It was ok though. 

Just been there today, it was fine. I too would prefer the tap elsewhere but not much we can do about that.
ps you passed us yesterday at Leigh Flashes, but we were up on the tops with the dogs; just saw you in the distance.

On 11/07/2019 at 13:11, Boater Sam said:

Blimey, is this one of the Bridgewater's best kept secrets?

Never knew about this facility, is it published anywhere?

Surprised us too,and we have been going along there for years!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

ps you passed us yesterday at Leigh Flashes, but we were up on the tops with the dogs; just saw you in the distance.

We slowed as we passed, to say hi but no-one was home. We hope our paths may cross again in the future. Cheers Mike & Wendy

On 11/07/2019 at 13:11, Boater Sam said:

Blimey, is this one of the Bridgewater's best kept secrets?

Never knew about this facility, is it published anywhere?

So where is the Bridgewater’s secret rubbish bin? We didn’t find one, and there’s no refuse point at Wigan junction or down below Henhurst Bridge either now. 

2 hours ago, MHS said:

We slowed as we passed, to say hi but no-one was home. We hope our paths may cross again in the future. Cheers Mike & Wendy

So where is the Bridgewater’s secret rubbish bin? We didn’t find one, and there’s no refuse point at Wigan junction or down below Henhurst Bridge either now. 

The skip at the old Claymore hire boat base is for Bridgewater boaters. Also the canalside recycling yard at Stockton Heath can be used.

On 07/07/2019 at 01:01, TheBiscuits said:

When we passed through in May the door to the Worsley services was open but all of the water supplies had been turned off. I suppose you could get a bucket of canal water to rinse the Elsan out with but, to be honest, the place looked so disgusting I couldn't be bothered and carried on to Wigan (bottom lock surely) also failing to spot the Elsan at Butts Bridge:huh:.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

We used Butts Bridge today - building looks awful but the inside was not as bad and it did seem as if someone is caring for it. There is a separate tap for the elsan unit from the water supply, albeit still inside. Rather glad that we stopped to fill at Plank Lane. (Whatever gripes you may have about CaRT, there are worse navigation authorities . . . )

13 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We used the old Claymore base to fill up with water.?

Think you passed us this morning at Leigh Flashes just before Plonk Lane.

1 hour ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We're now lazing around by the (closed)Dover Lock Inn.?

A shame the Dover Lock inn is closed. Used to be one of our haunts.

15 hours ago, catweasel said:

A shame the Dover Lock inn is closed. Used to be one of our haunts.

As we arrived heading north west to moor there the other day, we thought it was open. From a distance you could see they had a George Cross flag flying and it looked well tended.

Sadly that was until we got closer. Looks like someone is living there or I suspect it would probably be vandalised. 

It is still a pleasant spot to moor though before heading up to Wigan. 

5 minutes ago, MHS said:

As we arrived heading north west to moor there the other day, we thought it was open. From a distance you could see they had a George Cross flag flying and it looked well tended.

Sadly that was until we got closer. Looks like someone is living there or I suspect it would probably be vandalised. 

Someone has been living there since the pub closed probably to deter vandals until someone else takes over.

23 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Someone has been living there since the pub closed probably to deter vandals until someone else takes over.

Which could be a long time.

While there doesn’t seem to be any vandalism, it is looking very run down now.

3 hours ago, MHS said:

I often tie up through the bridge other side from pub. Great for working on the boat. Only down side is every man and his dog want to talk to you and you can't get on with your work!

Edited by Guest

A bit late to this but I would add the elsan in Outrighton is fine to use. I think it may be free but I can't be sure. There is a handy shower and laundry facility there too and be sure to get some of the free range eggs from the house next as they are really full of flavour. 

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

A bit late to this but I would add the elsan in Outrighton is fine to use. I think it may be free but I can't be sure. There is a handy shower and laundry facility there too and be sure to get some of the free range eggs from the house next as they are really full of flavour. 

Yes it appears to be free. We didn't pay last week anyway.
Great tip about the eggs ;) I will shell out on some when passing next week.