Kennet & Avon - Devizes - Bath - Devizes in 4 days ?

jradley

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, dmr said:

The K&A is very much a "Marmite" canal and the only way to find out which side you are on is to visit and arrive with an open mind.

We are ere now, used to spend winters here lots but been up North and returned for a summer visit. Full of apprehension after reports that it had got even busier and had far more non-boater liveaboards but its still great, in fact better than ever. A few two many big shinny widebeams, one or two moored in silly places, was the only issue for me. The re-opened Barge Inn was quite a highlight.

............Dave

Yes, widebeams are often supported by big shins. ??

This article has been linked to in another thread on this forum just recently. I mention it here as the comments on it lend weight to my thought/suspicion that the boats in that section of canal don't move quite as far and often as they should, and that perhaps the rules aren't as strictly enforced as they perhaps should be.

5 hours ago, jradley said:

This article has been linked to in another thread on this forum just recently. I mention it here as the comments on it lend weight to my thought/suspicion that the boats in that section of canal don't move quite as far and often as they should, and that perhaps the rules aren't as strictly enforced as they perhaps should be.

We have been data checked every week since we have been here, the K&A is more strictly controlled than most canals. I would not take that newspaper article too seriously, newspapers are not a good source of canal truth (or any truth?) and people who report themselves to the newspapers usually have a political point to make.

If I overstay anywhere, K&A included, by just a day then I expect an email from CRT, though I am also aware that if I choose to be a bad'un then the legal process to remove me is rather slow.

.........Dave

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, widebeams are often supported by big shins. ??

Modern technology controls what I say and how I spell it. My wife is too lazy to write texts so she speaks them into her phone with some entertaining results. Speaking into telephones is a scary bit of modern technology. :)

I reckon a good bit of AI software could completely replace this forum:....

I plan to get a liveaboard widebeam next year and wondered why we are limited to 70 foot, I have heard that an 85 foot by 16 foot boat can easily fit into most canal pounds and that boats can remain static for much more than 14 days in reasonable circumstances........:):)

.................Dave

• Haha 1

On 19/09/2019 at 23:24, dmr said:

Modern technology controls what I say and how I spell it. My wife is too lazy to write texts so she speaks them into her phone with some entertaining results. Speaking into telephones is a scary bit of modern technology. :)

I reckon a good bit of AI software could completely replace this forum:....

I plan to get a liveaboard widebeam next year and wondered why we are limited to 70 foot, I have heard that an 85 foot by 16 foot boat can easily fit into most canal pounds and that boats can remain static for much more than 14 days in reasonable circumstances........:):)

.................Dave

The pound between Braunston and Napton Junction should be good for that, bit tight through the bridge hole though.?

Edited by F DRAYKE
Spelling misstook.