Washable fuel filter

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

On my Beta engined boat...I have the normal screw on fuel filter.

I also have (what I'm told ) is a washable filter...which is in a canister type fitting secured by a bolt at the bottom.

1: Do I remove this...and immerse it in a dish of:  Parafin....petrol..diesel...fairy liquid (kidding) and scrub with a tooth brush.

2:  When I replace the screw on filter, I fill it with diesel to aid bleeding.  What do I do with this washable type ?

Thanks !!

12 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

On my Beta engined boat...I have the normal screw on fuel filter.

I also have (what I'm told ) is a washable filter...which is in a canister type fitting secured by a bolt at the bottom.

1: Do I remove this...and immerse it in a dish of:  Parafin....petrol..diesel...fairy liquid (kidding) and scrub with a tooth brush.

2:  When I replace the screw on filter, I fill it with diesel to aid bleeding.  What do I do with this washable type ?

Thanks !!

Sounds like you have something like this.

https://www.wasp-pfs.com/products/fuel-filters/w-20-w-napfg

I drain the water out of mine annually and wash the stainless steel out with diesel every couple of years.

I then assemble it, keeping the "O" ring in place with a blob of grease, fill it with diesel and open the bleed screw on the top until diesel comes out.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

The washable types and other water traps are usually on the suction side of the engine lift pump so all you can do is reassemble it dry and see if it will bleed by gravity. I the bottom of it is all in one piece by all means fill that with diesel upon reassembly.

Personally I would use the liquid from the motor mower  but because of the fire risk I am supposed to say paraffin or white spirit. Just be gentle with the scrubbing, I expect I would use a clean paint brush because its softer.

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am supposed to say paraffin

For the 1st time in about 50 years - I have just bought some paraffin - £7.99 for 4 litres.

It used to be a cheap fuel - take your can to the petrol station and fill it up for a 'few pennies'. Used it for the old Valor heaters when 'coal was in short supply'

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

The washable types and other water traps are usually on the suction side of the engine lift pump so all you can do is reassemble it dry and see if it will bleed by gravity. I the bottom of it is all in one piece by all means fill that with diesel upon reassembly.

Personally I would use the liquid from the motor mower  but because of the fire risk I am supposed to say paraffin or white spirit. Just be gentle with the scrubbing, I expect I would use a clean paint brush because its softer.

Thanks Tony !