Electric chainsaws

blackrose

Featured Posts

Thanks for feedback on these. I think rechargeable is definitely the way forward for me. Better for neighbours too.  On a Sunday afternoon last thing folk want to hear is a petrol saw revving away while I cut up fire wood in the garden

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Kieron G said:

Thanks for feedback on these. I think rechargeable is definitely the way forward for me. Better for neighbours too.  On a Sunday afternoon last thing folk want to hear is a petrol saw revving away while I cut up fire wood in the garden

The other major advantage is that they are easy to store. I just take the batteries out and keep the chainsaw on top of the bedroom storage. No worries about petrol etc. 

57 minutes ago, reg said:

The other major advantage is that they are easy to store. I just take the batteries out and keep the chainsaw on top of the bedroom storage. No worries about petrol etc. 

The Texas chainsaw massacre could never be remade with a re chargeable, could it!

When we were stopped by a fallen tree near Kidderminster last year CRT turned up with a battery operated Husqvarna. It was quite impressive what it could cut. Only had about a 12-15 inch bar but certainly didn’t lack grunt.  The operator said he was very happy with it…plus they could recharge it in the truck….dunno if they had a 12v charger or an inverter. 

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

The Texas chainsaw massacre could never be remade with a re chargeable, could it!

An electric saw certainly has less presence than a full bore 2 stroke full chat, noise  and exhaust certainly makes a more impressive film but personally I would pick an electric with a spare battery if I was planning to butcher a room full of people in a dark cabin in the woods, seriously have you ever had a saw reluctant to start, this is the big advantage of electric saws just plug in the battery and go

;)

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

An electric saw certainly has less presence than a full bore 2 stroke full chat, noise  and exhaust certainly makes a more impressive film but personally I would pick an electric with a spare battery if I was planning to butcher a room full of people in a dark cabin in the woods, seriously have you ever had a saw reluctant to start, this is the big advantage of electric saws just plug in the battery and go

;)

I have a husqvarna 345 from memory it's a great saw  not quiet and sometimes difficult to start, the cast would definitely escape. 

I have said before when I lived in Scotland I had I think an AEG electric chainsaw awesome was the only word. It was made redundant by a twin cylinder lister saw bench which made short  work of logs perfik 

• Greenie 1

On 08/06/2021 at 10:39, tree monkey said:

;)

Yeah but how many remote dark cabins have mains power to recharge the batteries? ???

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 02:16, Kieron G said:

Anyone experience of the rechargeable chainsaws? Thinking of getting one to use at home and to take to the boat. I realise that the batteries are very expensive 

I'm using DeWalt Chainsaw and It's working efficient, brushless and cordless electric saw. Its lightweight to easily portable. 

DeWalt seem to make good power tools. Mainly wanted it now to clear a path on Yorkshire Derwent through trees up to Elvington lock, have managed to get up there with a hand saw but there is still a lot more to clear for boats with a canopy to be able to make that passage safely. Especially coming back down with the flow. 

On 06/06/2021 at 22:05, magnetman said:

Just get a proper bowsaw. 

This one is lovely. It's in Tewkesbury so too far for me to collect it otherwise I would have it in a heartbeat. I already have one the same and the bigger one and the smaller one but they are such nice saws!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324652830806

It is an EIA frame. Edsbyns Industri AB. One of the best swede saws you will ever find. Ok so it needs a new blade but these are available albeit getting worse over time. sand ok, bahco and Jack seem to be the best ones. 

bow saw with a decent not a rusty blade goes through wood fast. I mean really fast most people are surprised to see it.

I want that saw ! 

what I really want is an EIA or Sandvik 42" frame. That is the holy grail. I do have the blades for one of these but never managed to get the frame. They did make them but they are very rare. 

I've used one of these, very good, prefer it to a bowsaw, feels less wieldy. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224527583387?hash=item3446e3089b:g:XooAAOSw06Ng6BZv

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one. I need a new chainsaw. Have a cheapo B&Q petrol one bought about ten years ago but it's always been a pain overheating, blocked carb, not starting etc and it's now destined for the tip. I don't want to waste money on another rubbish petrol one so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for electric ones that are currently on the market.

The job that it is needed for imminently has approx 11" diameter as the max that needs cutting through

It will only be used at home so I'm not fussed about a battery one if it means that the budget goes further for a better, more reliable make.

Not going to be used loads and loads so doesn't need to be professional grade kit, but I would like it to last and not be a waste of cash.

Budget is £125 or a bit more at a push.

Cheers in advance if anyone has any recommendations, any to avoid, or things to consider before buying.

18 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one. I need a new chainsaw. Have a cheapo B&Q petrol one bought about ten years ago but it's always been a pain overheating, blocked carb, not starting etc and it's now destined for the tip. I don't want to waste money on another rubbish petrol one so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for electric ones that are currently on the market.

The job that it is needed for imminently has approx 11" diameter as the max that needs cutting through

It will only be used at home so I'm not fussed about a battery one if it means that the budget goes further for a better, more reliable make.

Not going to be used loads and loads so doesn't need to be professional grade kit, but I would like it to last and not be a waste of cash.

Cheers in advance if anyone has any recommendations, any to avoid, or things to consider before buying.

I got an Oregon CS1500, has the advantage of being self-sharpening.

• Greenie 1

You do need a good one and good blades. 

I have Edsbyn's swede saws. 24, 30 and 36 inch frames plus obviously an adjustable one. Also have a set of Tyzack Turner frames again 24, 30 and 36. Then there are two Sandvik 30 inch frames in case of issues. 

Blades are Jack (real ones before the chinese stuff turned up) Sandvik, Bushman and Bahco. 

I have 42 inch Sandvik blades but can't find a 42 inch frame in the UK

Would like a 42 inch Edsbyns bow saw frame very much indeed. 

Sandvik 42" inch frame would do for this ! 

Can get these from the states but crazy money as it is quite large. 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

For that sort of price you're not going to get any great quality, so just treat them as short term investment, Husky do one for around £150 or if you have any battery tools just get the one to fit the batteries.

One bit of advice worth having though is don't be fooled into buying because of bar length (I noticed the Aldi ones did this) running a shorter bar keeps chain speed up and stops the saw bogging, especially important in the smaller engined bargin basement market

• Greenie 1

I have the Makita battery chainsaw and am impressed. I have cut a LOT of oak sleepers with it over the last year, plus a few big tree stumps. It does not leak oil.

It does get through the batteries, especially if worked hard. I have 6 of the 5Ah batteries and thats about right, 4 might be just about ok, also a twin charger to charge both batteries together. Chains are quite cheap, 3 for about £25, so if you're busy its quicker to swap a chain than to sharpen one.

The saw will exceed your budget, and lots more for the batteries, but if you already have Makita stuff its a good investment.

• Greenie 1

The orange and white ones made by the krauts look really good but I Stihl don't want one. 

MSA200 is the one but it is about £550 with battery and charger. 

Good gear. Its the digging action of these things which bothers me. Its not a saw it is an excavator. 

Have a look at second hand Stihl corded electric chainsaws on ebay. 

I was idly perusing them a while ago and noticed a bit of a trend which is they don't get used much. Some really nice kit for not much money. 

If you can work with one of the corded types I think there is a good chance of getting a very nice second hand item.

It is the sort of thing bought by someone as it might be a useful tool rather than something which ends up being used a lot. 

Corded does have obvious limits. 

• Greenie 1

For those who have problems with leaking chain oil, just empty the reservoir when finished along with the fuel. Apart from leaking, chain oil goes off relatively quickly and turns into a nasty, thick grease.

• Greenie 1