Electric chainsaws

blackrose

Featured Posts

I used to have a small petrol chainsaw but got rid of it because it used to leak chain oil all over the bottom of the locker I stored it in and that used to ooze out onto the gunwale. I know electric chain saws also use chain oil but do they leak too? I suppose they're no different in that respect...

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I used to have a small petrol chainsaw but got rid of it because it used to leak chain oil all over the bottom of the locker I stored it in and that used to ooze out onto the gunwale. I know electric chain saws also use chain oil but do they leak too? I suppose they're no different in that respect...

No different,  same manufacturer same fitting, no petrol to deal with though.

Try putting a rag or even one of those oil pads under the saw?

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

No different,  same manufacturer same fitting, no petrol to deal with though.

Try putting a rag or even one of those oil pads under the saw?

^^^ Wot E Said.

I used a cut down oil container with a nappy in it. Fitted well & no mes.

• Greenie 1

Thanks. No I just don't want oil dripping all over the place, that's why I got rid of the last one. I had it dripping into a washing up bowl but the oil still got everywhere. It's fine if you have a shed you can keep it in but not for storage on a boat. I'll buy something else without a chain.

39 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. No I just don't want oil dripping all over the place, that's why I got rid of the last one. I had it dripping into a washing up bowl but the oil still got everywhere. It's fine if you have a shed you can keep it in but not for storage on a boat. I'll buy something else without a chain.

Axe ?

Many moons ago my neighbour lent me his Black and Decker electric chainsaw, as I had six small conifers (trunks no thicker than my forearm) to cut down.

By the time I had finished it was knackered and I had to buy him a new one. ?

Would have been cheaper to pay someone to cut them down. ?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Axe 

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/  ❤️

Lush

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Many moons ago my neighbour lent me his Black and Decker electric chainsaw, as I had six small conifers (trunks no thicker than my forearm) to cut down.

They have come on a long way

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Can't comment about oil mine lives in the shed. However I've got through several petrol ones over the years, all recognisable names. Without exception they were a pain. About 4 years ago my b in L lent me his 2200w ? Lidyl special. Really impressed. When they were offered again I got one. Mostly used at home I've had it on the boat several times. Lived in a strong bin liner and no petrol. (I do have a 4 Kva generator). Never go back to petrol. 

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Or for those of us without that kind of money how about £15 for two axes and a log splitter?

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+axe-log-splitter-set-of-3+DK7251

Nahh silky or nothing, as for axes I've got a stihl splitting maul, if I was in the market the next would be a fiskars. 

Oh and for decoration

https://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Gransfors_Axes_-_made_to_last_-_20_year_guarantee-p1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItduD2IGe4wIVljLTCh0hbwZJEAAYASAAEgK0u_D_BwE

I have an electric chop saw that I use when I find wood and chop it up for kindling but also need something for things like cutting small logs, pallets and even hedge and branch trimming as my mooring is getting a bit overgrown. I was thinking about one of these, but 400w doesn't seem very powerful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-KS890ECN-Scorpion-Saw/dp/B00032II4A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=scorpion+saw&qid=1562340321&s=gateway&sprefix=scorp&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1#

Edited by blackrose

48 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've gone for a newer version of the Scorpion saw which has a 500w motor. 

Have you already ordered it? If you're going for something like that I would think a standard reciprocating saw would be best. They use standard blades available in various lengths for different materials, and far cheaper per blade. You can normally find a non-branded one for £50 or less. 

https://www.toolstation.com/bauker-850w-reciprocating-saw/p72261

https://www.toolstation.com/power-tool-accessories/cutting-blades/reciprocating-saw-blades/c1004

Edited by stegra

Thanks I looked at reciprocating saws but the blade length isn't really long enough for what I want and also the blade height just doesn't look adequate to make it sturdy. I appreciate you're meant to let the blade do the work and not put too much pressure on it, but I'd rather have a bigger blade. I paid £53 for it. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153535515222

I don't think I'll be buying loads of blades for it but they're available on eBay for £6.50 a set of 3 so that's fine.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I looked at reciprocating saws but the blade length isn't really long enough for what I want 

Hmm, I was about to suggest a recip saw too. How long is that blade on the Scorpion? Recip green wood blades are 180mm. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Hmm, I was about to suggest a recip saw too. How long is that blade on the Scorpion? Recip green wood blades are 180mm. 

The longest blade size in the set that comes with it is 239mm. All standard reciprocating saws seem to have thin blades. I'm sure they're fine but the Scorpion saw seems a bit more versatile.

59 minutes ago, stegra said:

And £2.89 for a pack of 5

Well a couple of quid extra for blades isn't going to break the bank.

• 1 year later...

I bought a budget-priced 2kW chain saw from Screwfix a few years ago. It has a lightweight magnesium body and works fine but it does leak oil when stored upright. I now lay it on its side with the oil tank uppermost.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo

I have a Bosch 1800 Watt, 35cm chainsaw which has been superb.  With care it can cut logs of far greater diameter than that recommended by Bosch.  Since I last used it several months ago it has sat in its cardboard box and has not leaked a drop of oil.  As I only use it at home where I have mains power I will not be going back to petrol.  I hope that helps.

25 minutes ago, Aground said:

I have a Bosch 1800 Watt, 35cm chainsaw which has been superb.  With care it can cut logs of far greater diameter than that recommended by Bosch.  Since I last used it several months ago it has sat in its cardboard box and has not leaked a drop of oil.  As I only use it at home where I have mains power I will not be going back to petrol.  I hope that helps.

I have one of those as well, very good.  It lives on a shelf in the shed, no danger of the shelf ever rotting as it is now impregnated with chain oil.

Just get a proper bowsaw. 

This one is lovely. It's in Tewkesbury so too far for me to collect it otherwise I would have it in a heartbeat. I already have one the same and the bigger one and the smaller one but they are such nice saws!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324652830806

It is an EIA frame. Edsbyns Industri AB. One of the best swede saws you will ever find. Ok so it needs a new blade but these are available albeit getting worse over time. sand ok, bahco and Jack seem to be the best ones. 

bow saw with a decent not a rusty blade goes through wood fast. I mean really fast most people are surprised to see it.

I want that saw ! 

what I really want is an EIA or Sandvik 42" frame. That is the holy grail. I do have the blades for one of these but never managed to get the frame. They did make them but they are very rare. 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Kieron G said:

Anyone experience of the rechargeable chainsaws? Thinking of getting one to use at home and to take to the boat. I realise that the batteries are very expensive 

I've got an Einhell 36v one (it uses 2 x 18v LI-Ion batteries)

It's not a Stihl by any stretch, but for the amount I use it it's much less hassle than storing a petrol one, never fails to start, and the batteries last longer than I have ever needed to use it for.

Keep an eye on Toolstation - they often have the 4A/h batteries on offer at two for £59.

• Greenie 1

If you don't want to cut thick tree trunks and are just lopping or chopping up smaller pieces, these are great and much easier/safer than a chainsaw (I have both...) especially for thinner branches.

https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/products/garden-tools/chainsaws-and-loppers/550w-alligator-powered-lopper/gk1000

Was recommended to my wife by a friend who is a professional gardener, I thought it was a gimmick but in fact it works really well -- and will cut pieces thicker than 100mm if you have a couple of goes and rotate the wood.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Kieron G said:

Anyone experience of the rechargeable chainsaws? Thinking of getting one to use at home and to take to the boat. I realise that the batteries are very expensive 

I have a makita duc302z dual battery chainsaw. Not cheap about £170+ without batteries. 

I find it works very well and have been more than satisfied with its performance. 

• Greenie 1