Gloucester and Sharpness residential moorings

Spuddigger

Featured Posts

I don't own a boat, but would very much like to. I've visited a number of marinas and now have an idea of what I'm looking for as a liveaboard. What is giving me cold feet is the residential/leasure moorings available on the Sharpness Gloucester canal. From months of looking I haven't noticed a single residential mooring advertised. Are people commonly living on leasure moorings on this stretch? I cycle/walk along the canal several times a week and I'm convinced they must be. 

Is it begrudgingly accepted? Do they leave their home moorings on occasion to keep inspectors happy? Can people CC in the winter with bridge closures? 

It would be great if someone with experience of living on this canal could get in touch.

Hi @Spuddigger and welcome to the forum.

It looks like your question has escaped some of our more experienced contributors, so until they are able to respond, here's my 2 cents' worth.

On 05/07/2019 at 08:56, Spuddigger said:

I cycle/walk along the canal several times a week

You seem to be a regular visitor to the waterway, so why not stop when you are out and ask the moored boaters? Their local knowledge will be invaluable.

On 05/07/2019 at 08:56, Spuddigger said:

moorings available on the Sharpness Gloucester canal

Put that exact phrase into Google (other search engines are available) you'll get quite a few responses. [I saw 18,200 results in 0.46 seconds but suspect many will not be relevant ?]

Good luck...

Edited by sans allumette
Correct OP's name

We've been on the G&S 17years & to the best of my knowledge there are no true residential moorings but I admit I have never looked for one. As it is fairly recent perhaps Saul Marina has some, worth a phone call. The moorings that CRT offer now & again always seem to be leisure moorings, again, a phone call to the office in Gloucester might be worthwhile. Having said all that that does seem to be a number of liveaboards up & down the canal but I seem to recall that there was a case recently where up & down the 16 miles of the G&S didn't satisfy CRT as far as CC was concerned, it was necessary to venture out through Gloucester Lock (when you can!) & up the Severn.

Living on a boat and not going boating is a pretty odd thing to want to do, all the disadvantages and none of the fun. Go boating at weekends and in the holidays (assuming you work) and then live on a leisure mooring without feeling guilty about it.

................Dave

• Greenie 1