Training course on diesel engines

stort_mark

Featured Posts

What I know about diesel engines and gearboxes and batteries you can write on a postage stamp and still have space for a Jamie OIiver recipe.

I really want to know more about them and be proficient enough to do more than percussive maintenance, and so would like to go on a training course to learn about how they work so I can actually be useful when something goes wrong, rather than relying on my girlfriend to fix it.

I know that many colleges do adult education courses but I don't live in England currently and am only back for short periods, so I can't do an "every Monday at 8pm for two months" kind of course. I need to do a course all in one go for a few days. I do know of an RYA course (and know this might be the best option) but does anyone know of (or recommend) a training course that is, maybe, focused on diesel engines and gearboxes and batteries stuff for narrowboats?

Is there anyone who perhaps has taught this and is willing to provide that training? (for a fee obviously) 

6 minutes ago, stort_mark said:

.................proficient enough to do more than percussive maintenance,...………………..

Is that where you hit it with a hammer ?

Anyway - to answer your question :

Electrical

https://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/Courses/ViewCourse.aspx?courseId=2

Engine

https://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/Courses/ViewCourse.aspx?courseId=1

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, reg said:

Take a look at this for a starter

http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

Although Tony has retired from presenting this course he is a regular on here and may be best placed to point you in the general direction of a suitable course. 

Thanks also. I know Tony mainly from reading his brilliant posts in the infamous "Width of the canal" thread about boat squat a few years ago.

?

His web page has a lot of valuable information as well.

6 minutes ago, reg said:

Am I correct in thinking that this RCR course  is based on  Tony's old course? If so then it appears to meet the brief. 

The RCR course explicitly covers both engine and electrics, so does indeed fit the bill for me!

Edit: Having looked through Tony's website, it seems he has handed over his course notes to RCR.

Edited by stort_mark

The Folks a Willow Wren Training seem very competent and friendly, plus they have accommodation you can use if need be. 

http://www.willowwrentraining.co.uk/diesel.html

This is the accompanying book - https://www.rya.org.uk/shop/Pages/products.aspx?product=rya-diesel-engine-handbook

But I also like Narrow Boat Engine Maintenance and Repair By Stephanie L. Horton, in fact I highly recommend this book  - I didn't get mine from amazon but it's easy to link to. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Narrow-Boat-Engine-Maintenance-Repair/dp/1785003496/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=narrow+boat&qid=1562313898&s=gateway&sr=8-17

If you would like to support at canal business you can buy it at the canal book shop

https://www.canalbookshop.co.uk/technical & boatbuilding.html

55 minutes ago, reg said:

Am I correct in thinking that this RCR course  is based on  Tony's old course? If so then it appears to meet the brief. 

It looks like the RCR courses are based on the RYA courses and they give out an RYA certificate at the end but I think Tony did have a lot of input, in the book I linked to Stephanie L. Horton who is a chartered engineer and managing director of RCR says in the intro that Tony contributes to the book. 

Regrettably I know of no wholly suitable courses for the OP and have grave reservations about the content control and quality control of the RYA ones as they are basically franchises so if the OP decides on an RYA course look very carefully at the time allowed, the curse content and try to get personal recommendations. I developed my courses because of the quality issues I perceived and to allow me to cover more topics that I thought were vital. my course took two days, some if not all RYA ones seemed to only take a day so either I filled my courses with waffle or I covered far more. Incidentally the RYA refuse to  consider "prior learning" and qualifications in course design, development, and delivery so despite being well qualified in both the technical and educational side of things I could never be allowed to run an RYA course unless  paid then a swag of money and attended one of their training sessions.

If the RCR courses are still based on my work then they will probably be the best but I think gearboxes will take about 15 minutes of the two days. The electrical stuff on the Diesel Engine and Boat Maintenance course used to take about half an hour give or take so you can see there will be no great depth to some topics.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Regrettably I know of no wholly suitable courses for the OP and have grave reservations about the content control and quality control of the RYA ones as they are basically franchises so if the OP decides on an RYA course look very carefully at the time allowed, the curse content and try to get personal recommendations.

Yes, if the courses are not that good, there might be a lot of swearing!

On 05/07/2019 at 13:28, Tony Brooks said:

Regrettably I know of no wholly suitable courses for the OP and have grave reservations about the content control and quality control of the RYA ones as they are basically franchises so if the OP decides on an RYA course look very carefully at the time allowed, the curse content and try to get personal recommendations. I developed my courses because of the quality issues I perceived and to allow me to cover more topics that I thought were vital. my course took two days, some if not all RYA ones seemed to only take a day so either I filled my courses with waffle or I covered far more. Incidentally the RYA refuse to  consider "prior learning" and qualifications in course design, development, and delivery so despite being well qualified in both the technical and educational side of things I could never be allowed to run an RYA course unless  paid then a swag of money and attended one of their training sessions.

If the RCR courses are still based on my work then they will probably be the best but I think gearboxes will take about 15 minutes of the two days. The electrical stuff on the Diesel Engine and Boat Maintenance course used to take about half an hour give or take so you can see there will be no great depth to some topics.

Thanks. Much appreciated context. I was already a bit concerned about RYA content as I also sail and have seen widely varying quality. It's galling to pay a couple of hundred quid to be taught by someone who knows less than I do. I'm trying to arrange home travel in order to do the two RCR courses. It does surprise me that with a gap in the market, someone else hasn't picked up where you left off. Although RCR do seem to offer a "personalised" course as well.

Again, thank you to all who contributed with mentions and recommendations! ?

I think practical wok on a variety of engines is vital to aid understanding with these courses but I do have a one day, all theory, course based on the non-practical content of the two day course that I delivers to my fellow moorers at Calcutt a few times ready to go. If it helps @stort_mark and maybe one or two other members I could probably run it at home in the late autumn/early winter FOC. BUT - I am far from happy with it as a learning experience because of the lack of practical and example parts. Images only go so far. The RCR course would be better in my view.

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think practical wok on a variety of engines is vital to aid understanding with these courses but I do have a one day, all theory, course based on the non-practical content of the two day course that I delivers to my fellow moorers at Calcutt a few times ready to go. If it helps @stort_mark and maybe one or two other members I could probably run it at home in the late autumn/early winter FOC. BUT - I am far from happy with it as a learning experience because of the lack of practical and example parts. Images only go so far. The RCR course would be better in my view.

That's a kind offer, Tony. As you suggest, it is easier with practical, hands-on experience on engines and equipment. I have got a number of books, which I am reading, including several mentioned here, but it's so much easier to understand when you can get your hands on the real thing while asking an instructor about things. I like the fact that the RCR course has a basic course and also a maintenance course!

When i got my boat, 5 years ago, i opted for an RCR "personal engine maintenance" course. They effecrively get younto service ypur own boat.

https://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/Courses/PersonalEngineMaintenance.aspx

Whilst in the very dim a d distal toast I used to service my own cars, years of company car ownership had sapped my confidence.

The guy from RCR arrived at my mooring and in around an hour I had completed the service on my boat. He said they allowed up to 4 hours, so he spent the next 3 hours givimg me all sorts of tips on how best to look after the Webasto boiler, batteries and other things.

I felt it was money well spent as not only do you get to learn how to service your own boat (you have to pay for oil, filter, belts etc used) but you gain familiarity with other systems on your own boat.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had some of that once - it doesn't half do funny things to your writing ability

Bluddy phat phingers and spill chucker hanging up against me. ?

I'm sure they change my words after I have checked them and posted. ?

For those of you without clairvoyant skills it should have read "whilst in the dim and distant past".

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space
  • Greenie 1