Stoned in Pershore

zimzim

Featured Posts

Had a bad time at the recreation ground moorings last night. Bunch of lads decided it would be fun to start throwing stones at the boat around midnight. I tried to ignore but they just retreated a short distance then came back for another go. This time I went to confront them (not a good feeling on your own... not in these times). Happily, they ran away. I hung around for a while until sure they'd gone, then tried to get some sleep. Just thought I'd mention in case this is becoming bigger problem.

That must be the mooring behind Asda? I moored there a couple of times. The kids do hang around there as well as youths playing music in their cars, but by national standards Pershore isn't a rough town and even the chavvy estates aren't that bad. That's why the kids ran away and didn't stab you!

It might be worth reporting the incident to the ANT so that they are aware what's happening at their mooring.

Why didn't you ring the police?

We've had a couple of similar encounters to this and on both occasions the police attended pronto, and appeared to take the matter very seriously.  

• Greenie 1

About 6 years ago we were travelling west on the T&M at Burton.  Just passed Horninglow basin  I heard a loud "crack" & ding on the side of the boat, looked to the right and saw two youngsters legging it through a small wooded area with an air rifle. My wife phoned the police and we stopped at Dallow lock, two officers arrived in about 20minutes. The officers, male and female didn't look old enough to drive but were very pleasant and took details. They said they would have a look around for the suspects and returned 30 minutes later say they came from the small 'Travellers' site near Horninglow basin. They said they don't go in there because they will be accused of racial harrassment. These 'Travellers' are living in a permaneant site in chalet bungalows and static caravans so why can't they be spoken to and come under the same rule of law as the rest of us. I don't blame the police but the do gooders that dictate the policy of special treatment for 'Travellers'. The air rifle pellet penetrated the paint and put a small ding in the metal about 6" from the galley window where my wife was standing at the time of impact.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Every time I see the title of this thread I have a vision of a group of boaters sitting round smoking weed in Pershore. ;)

Now, that would get the Plod round.  Can't have you enjoying yourselves.

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

About 6 years ago we were travelling west on the T&M at Burton.  Just passed Horninglow basin  I heard a loud "crack" & ding on the side of the boat, looked to the right and saw two youngsters legging it through a small wooded area with an air rifle. My wife phoned the police and we stopped at Dallow lock, two officers arrived in about 20minutes. The officers, male and female didn't look old enough to drive but were very pleasant and took details. They said they would have a look around for the suspects and returned 30 minutes later say they came from the small 'Travellers' site near Horninglow basin. They said they don't go in there because they will be accused of racial harrassment. These 'Travellers' are living in a permaneant site in chalet bungalows and static caravans so why can't they be spoken to and come under the same rule of law as the rest of us. I don't blame the police but the do gooders that dictate the policy of special treatment for 'Travellers'. The air rifle pellet penetrated the paint and put a small ding in the metal about 6" from the galley window where my wife was standing at the time of impact.

Which is why members of the NBTA claim they are 'Travellers' and demand special treatment from the Navagation Authorities and other Public bodys.

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

How did they know they were from the Travellers site if they didn't ever go in there?  Sounds more like they knew they'd never find the culprits and fobbed you off with a story. These days we'd probably get a camera shot and a better chance of ID.  Not that anything would get done, though.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

How did they know they were from the Travellers site if they didn't ever go in there?  Sounds more like they knew they'd never find the culprits and fobbed you off with a story. These days we'd probably get a camera shot and a better cance of ID.  Not that anything would get done, though.

Hvae you ever seen what happens when the Police try and collar a traveller. They may well know who they are, but travellers protect their own.  

30 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

How did they know they were from the Travellers site if they didn't ever go in there?  Sounds more like they knew they'd never find the culprits and fobbed you off with a story. These days we'd probably get a camera shot and a better chance of ID.  Not that anything would get done, though.

Probably because I saw them going through the woods that were part of the travellers site bordering the canal offside with no other access. I didn't know it was a travellers site until the officers informed me. I think they knew exactly who they were from my description.

It is so tempting to make a lance that fires effluent over a long distance from one's full cassettes/pump out tank but of course one would end up in court for dowsing the little sh*ts with more sh*t.

We stopped at Pershore a few weeks back and there was certainly a strong smell of weed coming from a group of lads sat round one of the benches so Lodden was probably correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update.....

Matter was reported to ANT, who were very helpful.

They said they would enter it in their log, and if it proved to be anything other than an isolated incident they would ask local police to take a wander that way at night.

Just one week later I was coming out of Birmingham towards Shirley/Earlswood on the Stratford. As I passed under bridge 6 (Yardley Wood area) there were a couple of splashes in the water next to me, followed immediately by something pretty substantial bouncing off the deck next to my feet. I responded with some carefully crafted words and the bombardment ceased (I think I had probably reached the limit of their range).

Such a shame - we had a great couple of weeks going around the Avon Ring again. I really cherish my annual chance to escape from the real world for a while. Seems the real world is intent upon following me and lobbing rocks at me!

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I find a bicycle pump filled with blue dye makes them easy to identify ; )

Just now, Chris Williams said:

So will you be, when the poor little darlings go crying to the Plod.

Hit 'em with plain water, just tell 'em it's that traceable SmartWater so they run home and burn their designer trainers and hoodies. :D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/07/2019 at 10:02, zimzim said:

Just to update.....

Matter was reported to ANT, who were very helpful.

They said they would enter it in their log, and if it proved to be anything other than an isolated incident they would ask local police to take a wander that way at night.

Just one week later I was coming out of Birmingham towards Shirley/Earlswood on the Stratford. As I passed under bridge 6 (Yardley Wood area) there were a couple of splashes in the water next to me, followed immediately by something pretty substantial bouncing off the deck next to my feet. I responded with some carefully crafted words and the bombardment ceased (I think I had probably reached the limit of their range).

Such a shame - we had a great couple of weeks going around the Avon Ring again. I really cherish my annual chance to escape from the real world for a while. Seems the real world is intent upon following me and lobbing rocks at me!

Sorry to hear about this. And surprised to hear it happening in Pershore. It was a real gem of a town when we visited a few years ago...great second hand book stores. Glad the ANT have taken an interest though, from what little I have heard of them they seem like an efficient (if pricey) nav authority.?