Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
cheshire~rose

It's All Alan Finchers Fault!

Featured Posts

I take it its er umm ten feet longer than what you er needed :rolleyes: ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I take it its er umm ten feet longer than what you er needed :rolleyes: ;)

It s 10' longer than Carrie~Lou and as our moorings are linear and the moorers only shuffle once a year in April we may not fit - even if there is space, unless we chop the tug deck off and stick that somewhere else. Or wait for another club member to leave it's complicated and a very good reason why I am not moorings officer :) That is a headache I wouldn't wish upon anyone

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's the boat on my lottery list gone!! I've got the ad for Dehli on my 'favourite' list and regularly look at it wistfully - you've ruined my life cheshire-rose, ruined it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulation to both of you, form her piccies she does look a remarkable boat. 

 

45 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

We are the very excited, proud and yes, nervous new owners of Delhi (or Dehli - we have to do some research about whether there is a good reason for the cabin to carry the pre-colonial spelling of the place or if we will just be steering a boat with a typo created by a dyslexic signwriter)

This is rather interesting, as I'm sure your aware she's on canal plan as Delhi and not showing any name changes so I wonder which one is the right one, did someone in an office see the registration of Dehli and assume it was a spelling mistake and change it, or was it like you say a slip of the brush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations, it’s a lovely boat. We pass it regularly at Lymm and every time I wonder about selling ours to buy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So as well as selling old books you're going to run a delhi.

 

Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just looked at Dehli on Apollo Duck, and it is beautiful. I am envious! Well worth the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

There are. There was about 100 at Braunston last weekend for example....

 

 

No.  Those ones are different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Well that's the boat on my lottery list gone!! I've got the ad for Dehli on my 'favourite' list and regularly look at it wistfully - you've ruined my life cheshire-rose, ruined it.

 

I am so sorry! Truly genuinely sorry 😰

 

Perhaps we can make amends a little by inviting you to come and play one day? That would not require a lottery win 

 

I can't of course promise that you won't find an unexplained need to buy noodles/ a plastic duck/ a tin of sardines or some other over priced paraphanalia that I might try and sell you

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Congratulation to both of you, form her piccies she does look a remarkable boat. 

 

This is rather interesting, as I'm sure your aware she's on canal plan as Delhi and not showing any name changes so I wonder which one is the right one, did someone in an office see the registration of Dehli and assume it was a spelling mistake and change it, or was it like you say a slip of the brush. 

Yes I know and it is a mystery, especially as the can has it spelled the way you might expect. I need to research this more, some of which will be a discussion with the owner who was suggesting it can be pronounced "Deeli" as in a girls name but I really have not yet started to scratch the surface on it yet. I am wondering if Pete Harrison can shed any light on when the spelling first changed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I likey a lot-y!

 

Why aren't there more boats like this?

Probably because historic boats are a labour of love and require someone with very deep pockets and a lot of love to be able make them "boats like this" 

 

Many old boats get the bare minimum needed to keep them afloat. Of course that is often because someone who can't really afford to own one is trying very hard to ensure it is kept afloat and not scrapped - which is commendable in it's own way. 

 

1 hour ago, Cloudinspector said:

Congratulations, it’s a lovely boat. We pass it regularly at Lymm and every time I wonder about selling ours to buy it. 

Thank you, we beat you to it! 

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

So as well as selling old books you're going to run a delhi.

 

Well done!

Yes I am wondering whether I can find space on the tug deck for a chiller cabinet stocked with cheeses from around the world and smoked sausages 

36 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I have just looked at Dehli on Apollo Duck, and it is beautiful. I am envious! Well worth the price.

Thank you David. We had the pleasure to meet your good lady at Braunston by the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

They all looked the same to me....

There were certainly not 100 boats like Reg! That is a very unique and lovely boat and well you know it ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been much speculation about how much a historic boat might be worth. Of course the truth is about everything in life, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Certainly our surveyor had no concerns about the boat. 

He turned up and rolled up his sleeves with the attitude of a surveyor who has condemned many historic boats before but then almost lost interest when he couldn't find much wrong with it. His parting shot was "It's a good boat, I am impressed" which told us all we needed to know :) 

 

We viewed a very tidy and acceptable Aqualine boat that was a handful of years old and the same size as Dehli. It was also in the same ball park price wise. It was a perfectly nice boat that ticked all of the boxes we had on our list. 

 

Nice is a word I hate using. If you can't find anything better than "nice" to describe something then it tells you something is wrong. It was certainly the wrong boat for us but for no obvious reason, it just didn't sing to us 

 

Although we didn't view the boat we saw this one for sale at Braunston:

 

http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/Boat-Details/uncle-mort-1

 

Being a Hudson it has been built by a pedigree builder. It was built the same year as Delhi was "sorted" by Warwickshire Flyboat Company and has a very similar spec give or take a few things that would be down to personal preference and again the asking price is the same. 

 

I guess the bit of fore-end that is original Delhi will always be original Delhi, the bit that dates to 2003 will perhaps be considered to be the bit that was created to save the original bit and have it's own heritage value in time. 

 

I also think that Hudson Boats will, in time, take their place as part of our waterways heritage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

There were certainly not 100 boats like Reg! That is a very unique and lovely boat and well you know it ;) 

Aww - I think Reg is unique and lovey too. :wub::cloud9:

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

All you gurls seem to LURVE Reg...!!!!

 

 

 

I don't think it is just a girl thing you know - there are a lot of guys out there that are just in denial 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I don't think it is just a girl thing you know - there are a lot of guys out there that are just in denial 

No deniaI from me,

I love  Reg. 

👍

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

 

I am so sorry! Truly genuinely sorry 😰

 

 

 

 

No you're not!

 

I think one explanation of the 'Dehli' or 'Delhi' may stem from when the boat was built as the Indian city of that name has changed name through the decades - can't remember which way round, but it was one or the other back in the 30's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Yes I know and it is a mystery, especially as the can has it spelled the way you might expect. I need to research this more, some of which will be a discussion with the owner who was suggesting it can be pronounced "Deeli" as in a girls name but I really have not yet started to scratch the surface on it yet. I am wondering if Pete Harrison can shed any light on when the spelling first changed 

 

6 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I think one explanation of the 'Dehli' or 'Delhi' may stem from when the boat was built as the Indian city of that name has changed name through the decades - can't remember which way round, but it was one or the other back in the 30's

Every document I have dealt with regarding this boat gives the name as DELHI, leading me to believe it has been lettered incorrectly on the current cabinside. This boat was named as CHARIENE for donkeys years and directly prior to being rebuilt into the boat it is today. Here is an image of DELHI's BCN gauge certificate - No. 1606 :captain:

 

100_0003.jpg.63bcb54414c4f29b798349203decb565.jpg

  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

 

Every document I have dealt with regarding this boat gives the name as DELHI, leading me to believe it has been lettered incorrectly on the current cabinside. This boat was named as CHARIENE for donkeys years and directly prior to being rebuilt into the boat it is today. Here is an image of DELHI's BCN gauge certificate - No. 1606 :captain:

 

100_0003.jpg.63bcb54414c4f29b798349203decb565.jpg

Oh wow! Thank you so much Pete, I think I had seen this or some mention of it elsewhere from you and that is what makes me feel it is just a "typo" but we really need to find out what the reason is before we make any changes (although we are going to need to join a lengthy waiting list to get the boat repainted so we have time to consider it!

17 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

No you're not!

 

I think one explanation of the 'Dehli' or 'Delhi' may stem from when the boat was built as the Indian city of that name has changed name through the decades - can't remember which way round, but it was one or the other back in the 30's

Taken from Wiki:

Quote

During the Indian Rebellion of 1857, Delhi fell to the forces of East India Company after a bloody fight known as the Siege of Delhi. The city came under the direct control of the British Government in 1858. It was made a district province of the Punjab.[26] In 1911, it was announced that the capital of British-held territories in India was to be transferred from Calcutta to Delhi.[62] The name "New Delhi" was given in 1927

The full text can be found here:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi

 

This means when the boat was built the city it was named after was already called Delhi (although in fairness it had changed only a few years before. As Pete Harrison has already said (and I had read his comments elsewhere) the boat was formerly registered as Delhi in 1930 when it was built and although it has had two other names in it's time we were not sure if the spelling of Delhi had deviated in the period between 1930 and 2003 - now we know it didn't thanks Pete!

 

It also seems odd that you would spell the name differently on the can to that on the boat itself.

 

Of course we could always revert to one of it's other names

 

v0_web.jpg

 

Photo courtesy of Willoughby Gullachsen, 86 Paradise St, West Bromwich. via the CRT Archive

 

There are not too many "Snake Class" boats about but when I realised Water Viper was a former name for the boat it just seemed made for me - there can really only be one "Old Snakey" in my life though

 

The same source gives an indication of the back end of the boat that was removed in (we believe) 2003:

 

v0_web.jpg

 

I think I read somewhere that someone has heard rumours of where her original back end went - if they want to PM me I would be interested to hear about it. I need to learn what I can about this boat now and what a wonderful start you have given me there Pete. Thanks a million

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I think I read somewhere that someone has heard rumours of where her original back end went - if they want to PM me I would be interested to hear about it. I need to learn what I can about this boat now and what a wonderful start you have given me there Pete. Thanks a million

Please do not be taken in by the speculative drivel that has identified the former BWB maintenance boat HERON as being the original stern of DELHI. Although this is a possibility there are also at least two other possibilities - but I am keeping them to myself as 'enthusiasts' and at least one archivist have already miss-quoted me regarding HERON :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.