Speeding Boaters

cuthound

Featured Posts

For a test of your mooring effectiveness try the Bridgewater expressway when the water taxi goes past.  It reminds me of that scene in "Deep Impact" where the meteorite has just struck the earth and all the sea disappears.

7 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

For a test of your mooring effectiveness try the Bridgewater expressway when the water taxi goes past.  It reminds me of that scene in "Deep Impact" where the meteorite has just struck the earth and all the sea disappears.

It doesn't any more

• 3 months later...

It's not a long stretch of water, it's the small section of the Calder and Hebble between that and the Aire and Calder in Wakefield. I'm currently moored there (until the weekend) but buggered if only one boat has passed by at a reasonable speed, and it was one of CaRTs work boats. Every other boat that has passed by as if they're being chased by dinosaurs or there's a last minute walking stick sale down the road. (Yes, the boaters have been, every last one of them, of a certain age).

I'm not going to jump out of my boat and start waving my fists and shouting abuse at them but there may come a point where I do pop my head out and make a sarcastic comment as they fly past.

SLOW DOWN!

Edited by NB Caelmiri

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:00, Neil2 said:

That's my point - if the line is chafing then it suggests the mooring point should be where the chafing occurs.  On a steel boat you can have mooring points pretty much anywhere you like.  You see loads of boats with missing fairleads on the integral handrail as they get pulled out the first time they are put under serious load.  IMHO it's bad design. 

not lost a fairlead yet.....however have lost some rails in storms!   does that count :) 

Stbd fairlead Aft.PNG

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

It's not a long stretch of water, it's the small section of the Calder and Hebble between that and the Aire and Calder in Wakefield. I'm currently moored there (until the weekend) but buggered if only one boat has passed by at a reasonable speed, and it was one of CaRTs work boats. Every other boat that has passed by as if they're being chased by dinosaurs or there's a last minute walking stick sale down the road. (Yes, the boaters have been, every last one of them, of a certain age).

I'm not going to jump out of my boat and start waving my fists and shouting abuse at them but there may come a point where I do pop my head out and make a sarcastic comment as they fly past.

SLOW DOWN!

But does it actually affect your boat and if so, is it tied up properly? Some people (not necessarily saying you) just don’t like to see other boats moving.

Yesterday we came through Rugeley passing the moored boats near Tesco at tickover, as we always do (on shallow canals). Heard from inside one boat in a loud voice was something about “I wouldn’t be going that fast...”. I watched the effect our passage had on the boat - it barely moved. I did however notice that the boat had no fendering between it and the steel piling so there may have been some minor clunking of steel on steel.

Having been out for 2 months this summer, and had a lot of boats pass us when we were moored, none caused any problem. A few were perhaps a little faster than we would have gone, but the effect on our boat was minimal and certainly neither dangerous nor uncomfortable. Perhaps that is because we tie it up properly?

• Greenie 1

Just now, nicknorman said:

But does it actually affect your boat and if so, is it tied up properly? Some people (not necessarily saying you) just don’t like to see other boats moving.

Yesterday we came through Rugeley passing the moored boats near Tesco at tickover, as we always do (on shallow canals). Heard from inside one boat in a loud voice was something about “I wouldn’t be going that fast...”. I watched the effect our passage had on the boat - it barely moved. I did however notice that the boat had no fendering between it and the steel piling so there may have been some minor clunking of steel on steel.

Having been out for 2 months this summer, and had a lot of boats pass us when we were moored, none caused any problem. A few were perhaps a little faster than we would have gone, but the effect on our boat was minimal and certainly neither dangerous nor uncomfortable. Perhaps that is because we tie it up properly?

Oh, I've no problem with seeing boats moving. I'd rather they did, they are boats! It has been affecting my boat and I'm pretty well tied up - luckily I've got my faithful moped tyres to soak up some of the movement. I feel like, given the recent SH debacle, it's a bit of do as I say not as I do. I can almost guarantee if I went hooning past their boats at the same speed, they'd be out frowning and tutting. Honestly, at least one was absolutely hurtling past and I don't usually get particularly irate about such a thing.

4 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Oh, I've no problem with seeing boats moving. I'd rather they did, they are boats! It has been affecting my boat and I'm pretty well tied up - luckily I've got my faithful moped tyres to soak up some of the movement. I feel like, given the recent SH debacle, it's a bit of do as I say not as I do. I can almost guarantee if I went hooning past their boats at the same speed, they'd be out frowning and tutting. Honestly, at least one was absolutely hurtling past and I don't usually get particularly irate about such a thing.

Is that the bit just above Fall Ings, between 2 river sections?

I noticed that when we were up around there this summer, one does tend to run the engine much faster on the river and wide canal sections, and one can reasonably pass moored boats much faster, than one does on Midland canals. Perhaps it is simply a failure to “adapt” to a short stretch or relatively narrow and shallow canal between long stretches of wide and deep water?

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Is that the bit just above Fall Ings, between 2 river sections?

I noticed that when we were up around there this summer, one does tend to run the engine much faster on the river and wide canal sections, and one can reasonably pass moored boats much faster, than one does on Midland canals. Perhaps it is simply a failure to “adapt” to a short stretch or relatively narrow and shallow canal between long stretches of wide and deep water?

That's the place. I can vaguely understand it if they're coming from the Calder/Hebble because you've just come off the river but the other way less of an excuse because they'll have just have come up a lock and passed by a residential mooring. Anyway, whinge over. My boat has settled down (finally)!

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would have called that a Hawse-Hole rather than a fairlead.

I have just fitted new Hawse-Holes to my boat (Bow) but have fairleads at the stern.

10-9-19a.jpg

CAM00358.jpg

What Dharl has posted is definitely and always has been known as a Fairlead; just a difference in terminology between ships and boats which crops up from time to time. 

Howard

Edited by howardang
Spulling
  • Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

SLOW DOWN!

I blame the new TV series, "Zomboat".

Everyone is rushing to avoid the Zombie apocalypse. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

What Dharl has posted is definately and always has been known as a Fairlead; just a difference in terminology between ships and boats which crops up from time to time. 

Howard

Could well be - it was explained to me that a fairlead was 'open' and had either guides or rollers, whilst a 'hawse-Hole was a enclosed hole'.

Never been involved with 'ships' so could not comment.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would have called that a Hawse-Hole rather than a fairlead.

I have just fitted new Hawse-Holes to my boat (Bow) but have fairleads at the stern.

10-9-19a.jpg

CAM00358.jpg

Who are you calling a hawse-hole? ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hawsholes are for your anchor cables (go through the deck and out of the hull), picture was off a Panama Fairlead (got through the ships rail or bulkhead) .      Current "office" has 16 of those around the bow area and a further 15 around the stern as well as a few Roller Fairleads dotted around :) 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Dharl said:

Hawsholes are for your anchor cables (go through the deck and out of the hull), picture was off a Panama Fairlead (got through the ships rail or bulkhead) .      Current "office" has 16 of those around the bow area and a further 15 around the stern as well as a few Roller Fairleads dotted around :) 

Always glad to learn - Every day is a school day.

I was under the impression that a hawse-Hole was to accommodate a hawser.

Checking with the Meriam Webster their  definition of a Hawse-Hole is :

Definition of hawsehole

: a hole in the bow of a ship through which a cable or hawser passes

First Known Use of hawsehole

1664, in the meaning defined above

Definition of hawser

: a large rope for towing, mooring, or securing a ship

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Always glad to learn - Every day is a school day.

I was under the impression that a hawse-Hole was to accommodate a hawser.

Checking with the Meriam Webster their  definition of a Hawse-Hole is :

Definition of hawsehole

: a hole in the bow of a ship through which a cable or hawser passes

First Known Use of hawsehole

1664, in the meaning defined above

Definition of hawser

: a large rope for towing, mooring, or securing a ship

No need to quote the dictionary. Just ask a forum member like Dharl who should know, given that he is a Master Mariner?

Howard

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

No need to quote the dictionary. Just ask a forum member like Dharl who should know, given that he is a Master Mariner?

Howard

Not a problem - just explaining that my understanding was that Hawse-Holes are used for more than anchor cables.

As Dharl said, maybe the nomenclature is different between 'Ships' and 'boats'.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not a problem - just explaining that my understanding was that Hawse-Holes are used for more than anchor cables.

As Dharl said, maybe the nomenclature is different between 'Ships' and 'boats'.

I thought that boats were the ones that wot went under the water

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Correct that a Hawse hole can be used for more than just anchor cables, the point in differences is that a fair lead will run through a bulk head / rail to the ships side, whilst a HawseHole will run from the deck and down through to the hull at a lower point.     

no difference in name culture, I was a Yacht Master before I was a deep sea master.    

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Rule No 39. If its raining hard, you are allowed to go past moored boats at twice your normal speed.

I think we should try and get this rule changed.

That is an interesting one and I have noticed myself doing that, I don't know why, maybe the engine note is muffled or something, but now I am aware of it I make a positive effort to keep it down.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is an interesting one and I have noticed myself doing that, I don't know why, maybe the engine note is muffled or something, but now I am aware of it I make a positive effort to keep it down.

I've noticed that I do it as well. For me, maybe more to do with getting somewhere quicker so out of the rain sooner....but it doesnt work like that. If its a 5 min very heavy shower, it doesnt matter how fast you go....you're still in it for 5 mins.

You can see 'em this afternoon. A 'stair rods' rain shower and there they go - past us at 4mph, hoods up, heads down, 'we must get there sooner'.  Good job we tied our ropes properly!

We had the opposite problem whilst tied up at lunchtime. A boat went past incredibly slowly, like 0.5mph. They couldn’t really steer due to going too slowly, and nearly hit us (well, kissed us would be more descriptive at the speed they were going). We waited a full hour, then set off for Fazeley. We only got about 1/2 way before encountering them on a bend and having to reverse hard to avoid running into the back of them. They were barely moving, literally 0.5mph or less. Once we had rounded the bend (which took about 5 minutes!) they kindly pulled over, were apologetic etc. I said not to worry, thanks for letting us pass. And then I added that “you might find it easier to steer if you go a bit faster”. They thanked me for the advice.

I prefer speeding boats any day!