Speeding Boaters

cuthound

Featured Posts

Just finished helping a neighbour restore her shore power after a speeding boater ripped out the shoreline from her boat.

The inlet connector at the boat end had ripped put and needed replacing.

Also my neighbour uses two 25 metre lengths of cable to get from their house to the boat and the joining connectors had parted company. 

Inside cupboards and drawers were open and some possessions had fallen onto the floor.

So just a gentle reminder that speeding past moored boats can cause damage, even when they are properly tied up, especially where the canal is shallow.

• Greenie 4

10 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

err   - if the shoreline was pulled apart, that suggests that the shoreline was shorter than the mooring lines, as a result it took the strain.

no excuse for speeding boaters, of course.

just sayin' ........   

No the fairlead the mooring line was attached to failed, forgot to mention that in my OP.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

So just a gentle reminder that speeding past moored boats can cause damage, even when they are properly tied up, especially where the canal is shallow.

If I slow down my narrowboat going by moored boats then my water skier complains. Just saying.

Jen ?

Well done @cuthound for helping out your neighbour.

20 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Bizzare / fruitless place to put up a gentle reminder, this forum must be read by < 1% of all boater on the inland WWs...

There may be a higher proportion of speeders though... 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

No the fairlead the mooring line was attached to failed, forgot to mention that in my OP.

goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that there must have been summat seriously wrong with the fairlead.  One would hope the rope would fail before the fairlead (or cleat/bollard, etc.).

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that there must have been summat seriously wrong with the fairlead.  One would hope the rope would fail before the fairlead (or cleat/bollard, etc.).

2 X 5mm brass screws tapped into 4mm steel maybe?

Edited by ditchcrawler
looked like 25mm

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Secured with brass screws. ? The boat must have heeled over quite substantially when the speeding boat sucked all of the water from under it, which transferred the pull from horizontal.

Cross posted with ditchcrawler.

Edited by cuthound

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

I do wonder about the wisdom of passing mooring lines through fairleads in the first place, but then I don't know the layout of the mooring so it may be unavoidable. There's a case for having chains for one's home mooring.

I know a lot have them but I don't really see the point of fairleads on a narrowboat.  Surely these things are meant for grp boats where it's not always possible to mount a cleat securely but on a steel boat why not just put a cleat/stud/ring where the fairlead is?  Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Fairleads can prevent the lines chafing on the paint.

That is why we have fairleads on our handrails where the centre lines would otherwise rub the paint off.  Obviously as they are for centre lines I don't moor up with them.

We had someone go past last night so fast they pulled our piling hooks through the piling from the main gap into the next section of piling that wasn't big enough to get them out so this morning I had to hammer a mooring pin in to the piling to open the gap up to get the hooks out.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

That is why we have fairleads on our handrails where the centre lines would otherwise rub the paint off.  Obviously as they are for centre lines I don't moor up with them.

We had someone go past last night so fast they pulled our piling hooks through the piling from the main gap into the next section of piling that wasn't big enough to get them out so this morning I had to hammer a mooring pin in to the piling to open the gap up to get the hooks out.

I always put my piling hooks next to a fixing rod and nut so they can't slide through,  I have also seen handrail fairleads  pop off when a boat was stopped in a lock. 

We got well and truly punted up the arrr backend at Braunston turn sanny station.

Luckily I'd only wound the rope round the bollard and not tied up tight, so the rope pulled away.

The stereer said he couldn't see round the bend !

Well - I saw him and gave the slow down wave, but he seemed transfixed.

My final suggestion of "if you can't see slow down or stop" fell on deaf ears too.

Hey ho

14 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I know a lot have them but I don't really see the point of fairleads on a narrowboat.  Surely these things are meant for grp boats where it's not always possible to mount a cleat securely but on a steel boat why not just put a cleat/stud/ring where the fairlead is?  Am I missing something?

Even on a GRP boat the fairleads are only ever used to guide the rope to a better angle for mooring. Never for securing the rope too.

20180721-143704.jpg

14 hours ago, cuthound said:

Fairleads can prevent the lines chafing on the paint.

That's my point - if the line is chafing then it suggests the mooring point should be where the chafing occurs.  On a steel boat you can have mooring points pretty much anywhere you like.  You see loads of boats with missing fairleads on the integral handrail as they get pulled out the first time they are put under serious load.  IMHO it's bad design. 

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That's my point - if the line is chafing then it suggests the mooring point should be where the chafing occurs.  On a steel boat you can have mooring points pretty much anywhere you like.  You see loads of boats with missing fairleads on the integral handrail as they get pulled out the first time they are put under serious load.  IMHO it's bad design. 

But most narrowboats have a tee stud on the bow which is considerably higher than the mooring spike, hook, or Gillard, hence the ropes bend over the edge of the top bend and chafe.

Some boats use a strip of brass to protect the paint rather thsn a fairlead.

13 hours ago, tagulablue said:

I rarely get up tight with speeding boaters these days (life is too short) but today a boat passed at what seemed like motorway speed.. His excuse was we are on a schedule!!  

We were forcefully overtaken coming up the Shroppie, bloke stood on the bow shouted they were late for an appointment as they motored by.

Saw them a little later as they were mooring at Brewood and the ladies of the boat were getting the dogs off etc. so I asked if they managed to make their appointment, they had no idea what I was on about.

On 04/07/2019 at 02:00, tagulablue said:

I rarely get up tight with speeding boaters these days (life is too short) but today a boat passed at what seemed like motorway speed.. His excuse was we are on a schedule!!  

Wasn't us, he's lying. Currently on the Nene

DSC_0214.JPG

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2