sign on bridge 154 at wheelock

D Rowley

Featured Posts

hello every one

we are due to do the four counties ring in september and i saw this notice on the bridge but i was wondering what it refers to ?

no mooring ?

no fishing ?

i cant read the small print only the bold which reads

PRIVATE WATER BRIDGE 147 TO 156

we were going to moor the night at wheelock after getting water and i thought if the main moorings were full we would moor past the bridge (154) after the buildings

thanks if any one knows what it refers to

David

Hi David.

I think you will find that the 'Private Water' sign refers only to the fishing. If any anglers try to tell you any different, tell them to sod off.

There has always has been and still is an assumption that you can moor anywhere at the towpath, the only exceptions are for safety considerations.

Edited by John Orentas

hello every one

we are due to do the four counties ring in september and i saw this notice on the bridge but i was wondering what it refers to ?

no mooring ?

no fishing ?

i cant read the small print only the bold which reads

PRIVATE WATER BRIDGE 147 TO 156

we were going to moor the night at wheelock after getting water and i thought if the main moorings were full we would moor past the bridge (154) after the buildings

thanks if any one knows what it refers to

David

It refers to the fishing rights ONLY.

It is a very misleading sign, and I have tried (in vain) to persuade BW that the club should be made to change the sign.

Yup it's a fishing notice, lots of fishing clubs put notices on bridges at each end of "Their Length" which say Private Water, but then usually go on to say such as No Day Tickets meaning no day permits for casual none club members or Day Permits available from and then phone number etc. Nothing to do with mooring.

david

thanks for that

i thought it might be for fishing but not 100% sure

i saw the sign on a picture from the canal plan web site ( very informative site ) and wondered.

as its our first time on a canal boat i was not sure what it refered to

david