Boat Sitting too high?

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

One of those camping stoves presumably if he isn't installing a gas cooker ... Unless he's going for a gas hob and an electric oven.

Gas camping stoves are not recommended for use inside anywhere, particularly a boat.

Here is the relevant notice from the BSS.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/portable-gas-appliances

Howard

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well - that's unusual.

A 60 foot boat with the fuel tank at the front and the engine at the back.

Are you sure you are using the correct tanks ? ?

Oops , sorry just realised I have done it the wrong  way round ?, I’m glad you’re paying attention!

So, corrected as follows 

fuel tank - stern (30% full) of 400 ltrs

water tank - bow

waste tank - bow/bedroom - approx 12 ft from front

Oh and it’s 70 ft

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

Gas camping stoves are not recommended for use inside anywhere, particularly a boat.

Here is the relevant notice from the BSS.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/portable-gas-appliances

Howard

Hi Howard

We won’t be using camping stoves, plan is to have a gas hob and we have located the gas bottle locker immediately behind thengas hob. Hob will be installed by a professional gas installer and then BSS inspection immediately thereafter. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That makes much more sense :)

Haha

its been a very long, stressful and tiring day! 

Just now, DeepLock said:

Hi Howard

We won’t be using camping stoves, plan is to have a gas hob and we have located the gas bottle locker immediately behind thengas hob. Hob will be installed by a professional gas installer and then BSS inspection immediately thereafter. 

You cannot have the gas locker behind the gas hob, ,the vent must be above the waterline and at the bottom of the gas locker.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

You cannot have the gas locker behind the gas hob, ,the vent must be above the waterline and at the bottom of the gas locker.

Sorry, didn’t explain it very well.

Gas locker storage is outside the galley on stern deck.

10 hours ago, Murflynn said:

why don't the learned members read DeepLock's explanation in #70 - he will use leccy in the marina and gas on the cut.

nuff said.

Because that information wasn't available when most people posted earlier and most people dont spend all day on the forum.....do they...?

16 minutes ago, DeepLock said:

Sorry, didn’t explain it very well.

Gas locker storage is outside the galley on stern deck.

Perfectly positioned for you to have a gas oven then :)

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, DeepLock said:

Hi Howard

Haha

its been a very long, stressful and tiring day! 

That's good to hear. I was answering The biscuits suggestion in post 82 .

Howard

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Because that information wasn't available when most people posted earlier.....................................

no it wasn't ... yes it was ...   actually it was, but maybe you just want an argument ....   :boat:

8 hours ago, DeepLock said:

.......................  then BSS inspection immediately thereafter. 

why do you need a BSS inspection on a new boat ?

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Perfectly positioned for you to have a gas oven then :)

Exactly, it will give the OP so much more flexibility when he is out cruising or in a marina with a 6 amp shoreline breaker.

55 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

no it wasn't ... yes it was ...   actually it was, but maybe you just want an argument ....   :boat:

why do you need a BSS inspection on a new boat ?

I was told that I should get a BSS after my gas installation. Or was it a gas safety certificate ?

7 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

Who built the shell ? or would you rather not say.

Seeing as they have offered to put it right I don’t think it would be fair to mention names, if they don’t - you will know about it!

That said, all the contributors here gave me the knowledge to get a better solution ie steel under galley.

15 minutes ago, DeepLock said:

I was told that I should get a BSS after my gas installation. Or was it a gas safety certificate ?

Seeing as they have offered to put it right I don’t think it would be fair to mention names, if they don’t - you will know about it!

That said, all the contributors here gave me the knowledge to get a better solution ie steel under galley.

Can the builder not get to the counter plate, it would be much better to put ballast on there. With such a large beam the counter should be a fairly large area. Plus you can alter if required in the future. Also is there access to the area below the bow deck if you have a deck, where the water tank is located, usually there is space to add ballast there too.

Just a thought.

Also on another topic, have you thought about a generator perhaps, gives you power when needed, plus there are some nice quieter models around now.

Edited by 70liveaboard

31 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

Can the builder not get to the counter plate, it would be much better to put ballast on there. With such a large beam the counter should be a fairly large area. Plus you can alter if required in the future. Also is there access to the area below the bow deck if you have a deck, where the water tank is located, usually there is space to add ballast there too.

Just a thought.

Also on another topic, have you thought about a generator perhaps, gives you power when needed, plus there are some nice quieter models around now.

Seems to be a reverse layout with galley at stern,

19 minutes ago, hider said:

Seems to be a reverse layout with galley at stern,

I am assuming he either has a stern deck or wheelhouse. Either way, ballast on the counter plates would be far better, for me anyway. Unless perhaps he has an engine room and the counters have been used as part of the internal line-out. Therefore, the engine room perhaps. I would imagine it has a stern deck or wheelhouse and the engine is under that. So the counters should be free to use, well mostly.

Edit: or perhaps the wheelhouse is based further down from the stern of the boat and it has a rear cabin. But again, below the wheelhouse or wherever the engine is located.

Edited by 70liveaboard

Plus thinking how much to pull her down in the water.. Say 3-4 tons. I could build a 25ft narrowboat for that. That is a lot of steel plate.

A36 weighs in well if you pick 2" thick plate, although that will set the builder back a small fortune to get that weight.  If there is headroom and I was the builder, I'd be asking him if it's o.k. to take some of that headroom, then take the floor up and do it properly.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You need either an RCD certificate or a BSS certificate to be able to licence it.

Not for the first year if you are fitting out. You just need the Annexe III for the shell.

15 hours ago, Murflynn said:

the clue may be in the thread title - the boat is SITTING too high ............................. :unsure:

Well if it was sitting on the bottom it would be sitting too high in the water wouldn't it! ? 

5 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

I am assuming he either has a stern deck or wheelhouse. Either way, ballast on the counter plates would be far better, for me anyway. Unless perhaps he has an engine room and the counters have been used as part of the internal line-out. Therefore, the engine room perhaps. I would imagine it has a stern deck or wheelhouse and the engine is under that. So the counters should be free to use, well mostly.

Edit: or perhaps the wheelhouse is based further down from the stern of the boat and it has a rear cabin. But again, below the wheelhouse or wherever the engine is located.

Yes it’s a stern deck with engine underneath. I didn’t really want extra weights placed in the engine area as I’d imagine it would look odd and restrict the limited space inside there. That said, if that’s where it has to go then so be it.

Would the counter plates be accessible to store steel? Or is that the same as the engine area?

4 hours ago, dor said:

Not for the first year if you are fitting out. You just need the Annexe III for the shell.

Good to know, thank you 

6 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

Just a thought.

I will let them see what they can do on Monday, I have surveyor that will come down to inspect it after the steel has been placed, will see what he thinks.

to be honest, I haven’t had time to digest all the comments regarding the oven power while cruising. I’ve checked the inverter and it’s a 2500W Pro Combi Pure Sine Wave connected to 3 leisure batteries - is this likely to replicate the generator? Quite frankly I’m clueless on the power side so please don’t scoff at my comments ?.

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Exactly, it will give the OP so much more flexibility when he is out cruising or in a marina with a 6 amp shoreline breaker.

Ok, I’m thinking about it....sounds far easier than electric!