Stolen boat 1/7/19

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Dawncraft boy said:

My boat maissey 27foot dawncraft cruiser stolen today from warwick Tesco's believed to been heading towards Stockton ways??? Index 64947 plz help 07732219093 Simon

Sorry to hear this. Bitter experience has taught us not to act on these reports unless accompanied by a crime number – have you reported the theft to the police?

In addition, a photo would help if you’ve got one.

It was posted at 2am. I imagine the poor guy is frantic and exhausted. Having had my car stolen this week these things can cause massive chaos and consequences. Can we not just keep an eye out for it in the area in these crucial hours at least. I do suspect, however, that in the initial period after the theft it may just been cloned and been given the plates of another existing, unaware and innocent Dawncraft 27. A picture and important info is things like colour, curtains, any and all unique and identifying features, has it a chimney, vent types and location, is the hood perfect or tatty, does it have a scrape just above port rubbing strake, those kinds of things.

Yes it is possible that like some thefts that turned out to be disputes or drunken forgetfulness but at least just be aware of any Dawncraft 27 around Warwick today.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Jesus there are some jaded replies here, looking at you @canalboat... Let's just try to keep an eye out for the bloke in case he isn't just trying to mess with you for some reason.

You weren't here some years ago when a woman came on here with a near identical call for help. It turned out she had split with her bloke, engaged a bunch of thugs and was trying to track him down to give him a battering, or something along those lines. ISTR the bloke himself turned up on here, explaining the true situation. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You weren't here some years ago when a woman came on here with a near identical call for help. It turned out she had split with her bloke, engaged a bunch of thugs and was trying to track him down to give him a battering, or something along those lines. ISTR the bloke himself turned up on here, explaining the true situation. 

Fair enough, i wasn't here. However i don't feel that the lack of a photograph makes his thread 'obviously not genuine'. Feels a little harsh to me, sure would suck if I had my boat stolen and was being called a liar when I ask people to please keep an eye out.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Fair enough, i wasn't here. However i don't feel that the lack of a photograph makes his thread 'obviously not genuine'. Feels a little harsh to me, sure would suck if I had my boat stolen and was being called a liar when I ask people to please keep an eye out.

There has been a string of cases here where claimed stolen boats have turned out not to be stolen at all, just turned out to have been taken by estranged joint-owning spouses, business partners etc once found, hence informal the board policy of asking for a crime number before embarking on serious hunting. 

I agree with the basic point you were making though, that Mr Canalboat could have asked in a kinder manner, given it make well be a genuine call for help. 

So Dawncraft Boy, have you told the police? They will have given you a crime number (but probably do little else). For the reasons set out in the thread, the response from this board will pivot 180 degrees once you post the crime number. Thank you. 

Yes, to the OP please do post a photo if you have and as much info as you can about identifying features asap. Is her name painted on? Where? If a D27 has a new slap of white paint in that location it can be a lead. People may be able to keep an eye out for it better from features not an index number that may well have been removed.

We realise that you will be exhausted and that you may well have posted to Facebook and other platforms too to try and track down your boat. Please do keep people up to date with positive developments from other platforms. It can pay off to pool a breadth of people but you do need to let each of them know when to stop searching.

The cynical on here will be more willing to help, and they can, if you can quote a crime number when you get it.
Good luck with recovering it, it must be gutting.

Edited by BilgePump

If I was the OP I would be cycling the towpath from Warwick in the direction of Stockton by now. If the boat has been stolen and is heading in that direction I would want to catch up with it before the number of route options broadens out at Napton/Braunston.

OK  Hands Up, it COULD be genuine and I COULD have been more kind in my choice of words but a first ever post from Dawncraft boy was 9hours ago and he has not come back with any update, photo, identifying info or crime number...………………………..  

2 minutes ago, canalboat said:

OK  Hands Up, it COULD be genuine and I COULD have been more kind in my choice of words but a first ever post from Dawncraft boy was 9hours ago and he has not come back with any update, photo, identifying info or crime number...………………………..  

Probably forgotten he even posted here....

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably forgotten he even posted here....

On the other hand if somebody had nicked my boat I would be too busy out along the towpath and talking to people to be on the internet.

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

On the other hand if somebody had nicked my boat I would be too busy out along the towpath and talking to people to be on the internet.

Well partly I agree. But the OP found time to post on here asking for help, and not returning to check for answers possibly telling him where his boat is seems a bit odd now. 

All's well that ends well - as long as the boat has not been damaged, or has contents removed, during its unauthorised jaunt.

Oddly enough, over the weekend there was a Yorkshire Narrowboats hire boat moored in Cropredy next to 'Trojan'. It looked in good condition, but it was a long way from home and all the curtains were shut. We saw no sign of occupation, so when we got home yesterday I e-mailed the company and informed them of its whereabouts. This morning I got a reply saying that they were aware it was there and that collection was being arranged. I wonder if that one had been removed without the owners' consent. But, as I said, all's well that ends well.

22 minutes ago, canalboat said:

The boat was found this morning.

Just curious - is that a statement of fact or a suggestion in answer to the questions as to why the OP hasn't returned? If it's a statement could you elaborate a little, such as where did you hear this? Are there anymore details?

46 minutes ago, canalboat said:

The boat was found this morning.

"Found" as in after being lost or "recovered" after being stolen?

I confess that, in line with others who've seen this a number of times,  my first thought on reading the thread title was "I'll bet it's not"! ;)

Some years my (late) father in law  reported his car stolen.

It turned out he had returned to the wrong car park. When directed  to the correct car park he found his car.

27 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Some years my (late) father in law  reported his car stolen.

It turned out he had returned to the wrong car park. When directed  to the correct car park he found his car.

I once 'lost' my car in the long stay car park at Manchester Airport. Coming back after a long business trip I thought I knew where I had left it.  I used up a bit of shoe leather, while trailing a heavy suitcase, walking up and down the aisles of the car park before I spotted it!

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I once 'lost' my car in the long stay car park at Manchester Airport. Coming back after a long business trip I thought I knew where I had left it.  I used up a bit of shoe leather, while trailing a heavy suitcase, walking up and down the aisles of the car park before I spotted it!

I parked at T5 in Heathrow a few years ago and when I went to pay for the parking the machine told me what area the car was parked in !!! Not just the floor but the section as well

Back when I was at college my first car a blue Austin A35. 

One night on leaving college I found my car in a different place to where I thought I had parked it, but it was cold and wet so I thought no more about it. I unlocked the door started the engine and set off driving home.  After a mile or two I began to notice quite . lot of details about the car that didn't really quite make sense, but eventually I stopped and looked more carefully. It was not my car! I drove it back to college where I found my own blue A35 just where I thought I'd left it, so rather rattled I put the one I was driving back where I found it hoping it had not been missed, and drove home in my own!

Car keys and locks were very insecure back in them days...

When being a recovery driver, occasionally I would "collect" (steal) the wrong car.

There were miriad BMC 1100s, Minis, Cortinas etc. around and often 5 or 6 similar cars in one street. Often we had no keys so expected to have to open cars.

Just used to take them back and repark them, only one was ever reported as missing and it was back again before the Blue Boys caught up with me.