Who is this steerer ?

jake_crew

Featured Posts

From David Blagrove's book "Waterways of Northamptonshire.

The description says its taken on the Puddlebanks W of Braunston.

Considering I took a photo of the book I think the chaps face is amazingly clear.

I don't think the tug is Pintail, but clearly its a similar Pusher.

P1030365.JPG

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

That was a reply in one minute !  Have a greenie.

Is Bert still with us ?

Could he suggest which tug it is ?

Bert now resides at Lenton's Lane cemetery opposite my late wife.

Bert Wallington 1.jpg

The boat on the headstone is Dubhe.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

I'm sure the tug is Petrel - she's one of the few with the name welded onto bow on each side. It's hard to make out but the middle letter is definitely a 'T'.

There are lots of detail variations on those tugs (hatches, chimney and engine vent positions, winches etc) and everything looks right for Petrel.

The picture is taken from the top of Bridge 95 looking towards Napton -  you can just see the start of the layby on the offside behind the tug.

jake-Crew Bert as you know has sadly gone to the great cut in the sky & sadly I was at Emilys funeral a few year's  ago now  but their son Dean is a member on here 

& to my knowledge drops in now & again he has a vast amount of photo's & memories 

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

• 9 months later...

I can confirm that the picture is of my Dad Bert Wallington in the tug picture, and the name of the tug is the Pipit. The Petrel was steered by Ernie Kendell. They both worked on the same team of 4 for many long years when most trade on the canals came to an end in the 60's along with Ron Hough (Crane Operator) and Ron Green (Dredger Operator).

• Greenie 3

- and a brilliant team they were. Always friendly and helpful,  and the canal around Braunston especially is testament to the quality of their work. At least when ex-boaters are in the dredging gang you know they are going to take out as much as possible, and not work to some figure worked out by a pen-pusher in an office. I used to be on the receiving end of some mickey-taking mind.....

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.2.2.13.1.260

image BW192-3-2-2-13-1-260

Black and white photograph showing the people posing in front of the narrowboats, they are from left to right, Mr Kalelane, Alf Hambridge, George Radford, George Wain, Ron Hough, Ted Ward & Ann Lane. In the background are the British Waterways narrowboats 'Crux', the motor "Bootes" and the butty 'Cardiff'.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

archie57

As you know all but Ron Hough are close parts of my boating family tree ,your name came up in conversation a few weeks back 

in a conversation with my cousin John = the son of CalIf Lane  -I wont be seeing him for a while now due to this virus but he told me lots of tales of the goings on on the hanwell thicket when they came back drunk from the fox pub

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Ray T said:

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.2.2.13.1.260

image BW192-3-2-2-13-1-260

Black and white photograph showing the people posing in front of the narrowboats, they are from left to right, Mr Kalelane, Alf Hambridge, George Radford, George Wain, Ron Hough, Ted Ward & Ann Lane. In the background are the British Waterways narrowboats 'Crux', the motor "Bootes" and the butty 'Cardiff'.

I rather think that the motor 2nd from R is the Tadworth

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

archie57

As you know all but Ron Hough are close parts of my boating family tree ,your name came up in conversation a few weeks back 

in a conversation with my cousin John = the son of CalIf Lane  -I wont be seeing him for a while now due to this virus but he told me lots of tales of the goings on on the hanwell thicket when they came back drunk from the fox pub

Thanks Jeanette, I hope I wasn't in trouble!

Regarding Ron Hough, he was married to Bert's niece as you know, others might not make the connection.

I'm sending you a PM