The Boating Association Trent guide version number

frangar

Featured Posts

One of the routes we might do this summer involves the River Trent. We’ve done it before and found the Trent charts from the Boating Association really useful. 

Ive just checked our copies and noticed that we have Version 12 for the tidal Trent and the BA website is now showing version 15.....does anyone know if it’s worth getting the new version in case shoals etc have moved or does it just give updated info for shops/pubs etc? We are thinking of going from Cromwell to Keadby. 

I did Cromwell to Torksey recently without problems using version 12 - one of the transit lines was obstructed by  a bush (white post and pylon, see below).

I emailed a few comments (including a suggestion that CRT prune the bush) to charts@theboatingassociation.co.uk and got a quick reply. If you have no luck with your Question above then you could email Jon at that address and ask the question.   

dsc_3729.jpg?w=768&h=512

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, frangar said:

One of the routes we might do this summer involves the River Trent. We’ve done it before and found the Trent charts from the Boating Association really useful. 

Ive just checked our copies and noticed that we have Version 12 for the tidal Trent and the BA website is now showing version 15.....does anyone know if it’s worth getting the new version in case shoals etc have moved or does it just give updated info for shops/pubs etc? We are thinking of going from Cromwell to Keadby. 

I emailed the Boating Assoiation well in advance with a similar question about V.13.

There were many days without a reply but eventually, 30 minutes before entering Keadby Lock and out onto the river I received a reply: "Sorry for the delay in replying; there is a version 15 but version 13 is still adequate."

Hope to see you at Audlem.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock

11 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

dsc_3729.jpg?w=768&h=512

I think they have not yet pruned it.  

Not sure which version of the charts I have but it is a few years old .

At West Burton Power station take the outside of the bend. Possibly this has been updated on the latest chart.

Otherwise Marton Mill is a bend to follow the chart precisely. You line the boat up between two poles . The downstream transit mark can be difficult to spot and many boaters get it completely wrong and risk grounding.

Edited by MartynG

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Otherwise Marton Mill is a bend to follow the chart precisely. You line the boat up between two poles . The downstream transit mark can be difficult to spot and many boaters get it completely wrong and risk grounding. 

Yep. Been there, done that. Took several trips to work it out. Had a lot of trouble working out where the downstream marker is with vegetation growth. Heard the horrible sound of rock grinding against the baseplate twice. Once on one side of the deep channel and once on the other. Managed to veer back in to the channel without grounding on both occasions. Phew! Other trips there has been enough fresh to keep my modern shallow draft NB in water.

Jen

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yep. Been there, done that. Took several trips to work it out. Had a lot of trouble working out where the downstream marker is with vegetation growth. Heard the horrible sound of rock grinding against the baseplate twice. Once on one side of the deep channel and once on the other. Managed to veer back in to the channel without grounding on both occasions. Phew! Other trips there has been enough fresh to keep my modern shallow draft NB in water.

Jen

Some trees were cut back from near the downstream marker (last year I think)  but the trees have rapidly grown back.  The marker was visible when I went through there on Saturday  but the two boats in front of me didn't see it.  Fortunately they escaped without damage.

I have spoken to many people about the Marton  Mill bend and received puzzled looks.  At high water I guess you can be anywhere but I would not risk it.

Many thanks for everyone’s replies. As it now looks like the Rochdale might actually reopen in my lifetime (until it runs out of water) we might not be going down the Trent after all...however it might be our escape route if something breaks! 

We might well risk it with our old version then taking extra care at the points mentioned above! 

@JamesWoolcock I don’t think we will be at Audlem this year sadly as the Pennines are calling and we won’t have time to come to Audlem & get across & back. Hope you have an ace time tho!  

8 hours ago, frangar said:

We might well risk it with our old version then taking extra care at the points mentioned above! 

Not much of a risk.

If in doubt about tides do seek advice from the employed  lock keepers on the tidal locks in advance of travelling. 

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

Not much of a risk.

If in doubt about tides do seek advice from the employed  lock keepers on the tidal locks in advance of travelling. 

In my last email exchange with the Boating Assn they said they hoped to add more information / advice on passage planning to a later edition.  I for one quite like to understand why I am being advised to leave at a given time, on a tideway trip, what the state of the tide is expected to be when I get to the other end, etc.

6 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

In my last email exchange with the Boating Assn they said they hoped to add more information / advice on passage planning to a later edition.  I for one quite like to understand why I am being advised to leave at a given time, on a tideway trip, what the state of the tide is expected to be when I get to the other end, etc.

It's not too difficult.

The tide times on the river are all relative to high water at Hull.

The tide times can be obtained online or tide tables can be purchased as a booklet.

The tide times can vary up to half an hour from the theoretical time  depending on weather . 

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

It's not too difficult.

The tide times on the river are all relative to high water at Hull.

The tide times can be obtained online or tide tables can be purchased as a booklet.

The tide times can vary up to half an hour from the theoretical time  depending on weather . 

Yes, point taken. I find this chart rather handy.  I was part of a group of 11 boats making the transit from Cromwell to Torksey last month, and we got a surprising range of advice as to a) when we should leave Cromwell and b) when we needed to arrive at Torksey to avoid spending a night on the pontoons...

tidaltrent.jpg

10 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, point taken. I find this chart rather handy.  I was part of a group of 11 boats making the transit from Cromwell to Torksey last month, and we got a surprising range of advice as to a) when we should leave Cromwell and b) when we needed to arrive at Torksey to avoid spending a night on the pontoons...

Was chatting to the Lockie at Torksey waiting for the level to reach the line he'd been told that the water had to reach before he was allowed to operate the lock. Discussing tides and asked what he thought the best time was to head back to Cromwell, he made a suggestion that was really a 'bit silly' and I asked him why he thought that and he said he was told last week that any boats should leave at (say) 1:00pm.

It turned out that he was 'normally' on bankside vegetation maintenance and was just covering for the full time lockie whilst he was on holiday.

Don't always rely on the lockie, do your own calculations and research.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

he was told last week that any boats should leave at (say) 1:00pm.

That might have been true on the day he was told it.