How would you describe this?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

A picture taken further out might help, it does look like the coupling between the gearbox oil cooler and the water pipe

Richard

Been trying to load one but it’s failing. 

And yes it’s that bit of hose

FEBBF1FA-02F9-458D-8BE6-AB5FFAAA9C7F.jpeg

Edited by Goliath

Alternatively (and cheaper) there is a company on ebay who will make them up for you in Silicon Rubber

Give them the overall length and the ID of each end, choice of colour and job-done.

I ordered a couple for the JIC cupboard for the water pump hoses. The fan belt has been rubbing on the 'old ones'.

Edit to add - here is a company with an assortment of sizes in stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Hose-Straight-Reducer-Black-All-Sizes-Available-Black-Liner/151315674845?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D70d1089020f44723ab9e081c9301a848%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D153540854426%26itm%3D151315674845&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

CAM00016.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Been trying to load one but it’s failing. 

And yes it’s that bit of hose

FEBBF1FA-02F9-458D-8BE6-AB5FFAAA9C7F.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

You need two of these of the correct size.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/us/brands/bowman/end-caps

Thanks for swift response. 

I’ll order from them. 

Cheers ?

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Alternatively (and cheaper) there is a company on ebay who will make them up for you in Silicon Rubber

Give them the overall length and the ID of each end, choice of colour and job-done.

I ordered a couple for the JIC cupboard for the water pump hoses. The fan belt has been rubbing on the 'old ones'.

CAM00016.jpg

Thanks I’ll think about that for the future, there’re other hoses I’d like to replace. 

This time I’ll order from ASAP. 

38 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

You need two of these of the correct size.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/us/brands/bowman/end-caps

I have two laying in the garage, I offered them free about 3 weeks ago, they may even be in the bin now. The ones on the brass one, 28mm pipe and I THINK 55mm heat exchanger/cooler

DSCF1616small.jpg

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I take it you have an engine oil cooler

Richard

Yes. But don’t expect me to know more than that. 

I have always assumed it was the bottom one of the two ‘things’ in the photo. Not the one with the leaky end but the one below. 

The oil going through a cold water jacket?

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes. But don’t expect me to know more than that. 

I have always assumed it was the bottom one of the two ‘things’ in the photo. Not the one with the leaky end but the one below. 

The oil going through a cold water jacket?

Without seeing more of the pipework, it looks like the one nearest the engine

Richard

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Without seeing more of the pipework, it looks like the one nearest the engine

Richard

Just looked again whlie taking measurements. 

I think top one is engine, the bottom one is gearbox. 

Would that make sense?

Am I correct to assume when replacing the rubber joint the only loss will be some water? 

48 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Would that make sense?

Am I correct to assume when replacing the rubber joint the only loss will be some water? 

yes, that makes sense, yes only water (and antifreeze)

Richard

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Hose-Straight-Reducer-Black-All-Sizes-Available-Black-Liner/151315674845?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D70d1089020f44723ab9e081c9301a848%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D153540854426%26itm%3D151315674845&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Do you have a link to the eBay company who will make up these custom units in Silicone Rubber   I cant find them?

..............Dave

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

Do you have a link to the eBay company who will make up these custom units in Silicone Rubber   I cant find them?

..............Dave

I'll have to go back thu' my spares book - it was about 3 years ago.

Looking at the link I posted they seem to do quite a few permutations.

I'll have a look, see what I can find.

In the mean time this firm seem to have a lot of permutations :

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/blue-straight-reducing-silicone-hose---silicon-reducer-pipe-102mm-long-47396nproducts421curpage-2-421-c.asp

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

It looks like it was this company - known on Ebay as 'silicone shop'

https://en-gb.facebook.com/DemonMotorsportLTD/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/siliconeshop/Silicone-Hoses/_i.html?_storecat=7143623013&_pgn=2

But - it doesn't mention custom made parts.

15 hours ago, Goliath said:

Would that make sense?

14 hours ago, RLWP said:

yes, that makes sense, yes only water (and antifreeze)

Richard

I think Richard may be wrong here. The 1" plus connecting pipes makes me think this is on a keel/tank cooled system where the engine coolant flows through the oil coolers. If this were a heat exchanger boat I would expect smaller raw water pipes. I would want to trace the pipes to be sure.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think Richard may be wrong here. The 1" plus connecting pipes makes me think this is on a keel/tank cooled system where the engine coolant flows through the oil coolers. If this were a heat exchanger boat I would expect smaller raw water pipes. I would want to trace the pipes to be sure.

Hello Tony,

not quite sure what you mean when you say Richard could be wrong, I’m sure he agrees they are oil coolers. 

Anyway, I’ve traced the pipes which assures me they are oil coolers. 

The bottom oil cooler (with oil pipes leading to and from the gear box) is fed with water through a hose coming out of the top of my skin tank, then in turn it feeds the top oil cooler (with oil pipes coming to and from the engine) then the water is fed to the water pump,  and I guess goes around the engine and then into the bottom of the skin tank via the header tank (if that’s it’s name), and around and around it goes. 

The damaged hose joint looks very easy to replace and there’ll be enough flex on the feeder pipe to give plenty of wiggle room. 

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Think I will use this company after all! 

ASAP charge £5 delivery on top of a £12 part. 

Here I can get the part delivered free for around £5

nice one ?

Quote:

Hello Tony,

not quite sure what you mean when you say Richard could be wrong, I’m sure he agrees they are oil coolers. 

Anyway, I’ve traced the pipes which assures me they are oil coolers. 

The bottom oil cooler (with oil pipes leading to and from the gear box) is fed with water through a hose coming out of the top of my skin tank, then in turn it feeds the top oil cooler (with oil pipes coming to and from the engine) then the water is fed to the water pump,  and I guess goes around the engine and then into the bottom of the skin tank via the header tank (if that’s it’s name), and around and around it goes. 

The damaged hose joint looks very easy to replace and there’ll be enough flex on the feeder pipe to give plenty of wiggle room. 

Answer

I took Richard to mean (probably wrongly) that only a small amount of coolant would leak out as it would on a heat exchanger or raw water cooled boat but I think that you will empty at least half the cooling system when you take the hoses off. The skin tank and engine will leak to the level of the lowest hose you remove.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I did mine last week I got a bucket full of coolant out when I took the end cap off.

Thanks for heads up on that. 

My leak has been on going for so long that my coolant is now just water, having been topping up with just the water for so long. 

Once I’ve fixed the leak, and I think flushed the system, I’ll get some decent anti rust anti freeze in it. 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I took Richard to mean (probably wrongly) that only a small amount of coolant would leak out as it would on a heat exchanger or raw water cooled boat but I think that you will empty at least half the cooling system when you take the hoses off. The skin tank and engine will leak to the level of the lowest hose you remove.

Ahh, I see the confusion. What I meant was, what will come out is water - quantity unknown!