1500 bmc overheating

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Get them to dangle a mobile phone down facing the cover and take a picture of the pump.

It would be best to know what the pump is - some are now obsolete and the parts are no longer available. Your raw water cooled BMC 1.5 is likely to be pretty old, so don't be surprised if you end up buying a replacement pump

Richard

I think it says Thorneycroft on the motor not sure about the pump used ,I asked Pete to do that earlier,i know they are the same motors as bmc ,but if i need to buy a new pump do you have any idea where to get a complete unit from straight away? Or are they hard to find?

I will google for a bit in any case 

Cheers

Edited by Lingy

3 minutes ago, Lingy said:

I think it says Thorneycroft on the motor not sure about the pump used ,I asked Pete to do that earlier,i know they are the same motors as bmc ,but if i need to buy a new pump do you have any idea where to get a complete unit from straight away? Or are they hard to find?

I will google for a bit in any case 

Cheers

Find the info on the pump and then we can work it out. There are lots of pumps because there are lots of variations of capacity, pipe size, shaft diameter, mounting brackets, pulley offsets...

Richard

• Greenie 1

Could be this one: http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/jabscoshop-spare-parts/4900-200-pump-05-brz-40-pedestal.htm

If so, looks like most parts are available

When you rebuild it, buy a gasket (it should be in the impeller kit) rather than use the blue silicone sealant

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Just now, Lingy said:

Out of stock.

Looks like i better get up to remove it and find a suitable replacement.

Thank you Richard 

Pump is out of stock, the parts are available

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This product is now obsolete.
The details supplied here are for information only.
Replacement Item: 52040-2001 - ¾” bronze pump, 40-size, foot-mounted with BSP threaded ports

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

This product is now obsolete.
The details supplied here are for information only.
Replacement Item: 52040-2001 - ¾” bronze pump, 40-size, foot-mounted with BSP threaded ports

For the OP:

I have been caught out like this before. It's important to carefully check the drawings for the two pumps, otherwise the pipes or the drive pulley won't line up

I had to make a pulley for one engine!

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

For the OP:

I have been caught out like this before. It's important to carefully check the drawings for the two pumps, otherwise the pipes or the drive pulley won't line up

Richard

Yeah looks like i will need to remove it to make sure i get the right item.The boats not in the best place for this at all.

Can i bypass this with an electrical pump to get the boat moved or is that a no no? 

I have used the boat for two full days and it was sound,it must have been worn and unfortunately it has let go at the worst possible time.

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

For the OP:

Richard

Have a look at the 'alternative' Its nothing like the original.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looks good.

1 minute ago, Lingy said:

Yeah looks like i will need to remove it to make sure i get the right item.The boats not in the best place for this at all.

Can i bypass this with an electrical pump to get the boat moved or is that a no no? 

I have used the boat for two full days and it was sound,it must have been worn and unfortunately it has let go at the worst possible time.

The number on the end cover is enough. The impeller on the Xylem site or the one at Norfolk Marine (above) will fit

Check the rotor first, it's the quickest and cheapest solution now we know there are spares

Richard

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have a look at the 'alternative' Its nothing like the original.

Even when it is, you suddenly find the bearing pack is an inch longer...

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Lingy said:

The raw water both lubricates and cools the impeller, so if the mudbox gets blocked you have rubber rubbing on brass with no water flow and bad things happen to the impeller as it very rapidly gets hot and starts shedding bits..

If the impeller has shed any wings it is probably best to check none have lodged across any elbows in the downstream side. In an ideal world, especially as this seems to be a heat exchanger boat and you have been suffering from picking up  a lot of weed, you would check the raw water inlet side of the heat exchanger in case any impeller wings or weed etc. has blocked some tubes but be aware you will lose some antifreeze/coolant. At the least see if you can remove the raw water inlet and outlet hoses and back flush it.

I would take the drive belt off and check the shaft for plat in the body. Being belt driven those types of pump tend to suffer wear in the pump body (there are no actual bearings) and once that happens they can suck air down the shaft. I am going by the grease tube (non-standard as far as I know) fitted to the back cover. There is usually one in the front part of the body as well.

Re the glycerine to lubricate the impeller upon fitting.  If none is supplied with the new impeller I usably give soem of teh gaps between impeller blades a squirt of washing up liquid before putting the cover back on.

4 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I dangled my phone, Lingy bought and fitted the impeller, and we're on our way. There's a nice flow of water out of the side and the temperature meter is staying on 80. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Keep half an eye on both those things, and if they change stop and clear the intake and filters.

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

15620937740431202351636.jpg.0905085b17dd0fd14c102e02e4987b88.jpgHere's the old impeller!

Did you find the broken off bits? They are notorious for getting wedged in the pipes.

25 minutes ago, Peter X said:

15620937740431202351636.jpg.0905085b17dd0fd14c102e02e4987b88.jpgHere's the old impeller!

Absolutely typical of an impellor that hasn't been run for several months and has 'welded' itself to the inside of the pump housing.

Start the engine and the vanes get ripped off, bits remain sticking to the housing and then as the remaining vanes spin around they are damaged by the broken-off-bits.

Did you scrape clean the inside of the housing to get any of the remaining rubber removed from the inside of the housing - if not the you will be damaging the new impellor.

If you didn't (and now you know how easy it is) remove the new impellor and check it for any damage, AND clean the inside of the pump-housing with a blade &/or emery cloth, wet & dry etc.

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Must be nearly a years life left in that impeller...

As long as you don't start the engine !

Edited by Alan de Enfield