galvanic isolator and fuses triping out.

Karl

Featured Posts

Hi all. well this is two different things to be honest. Firstly we are new to boating and have just bought a boat and finding our way around it. I have bought a Galvanic isolator as one isn't fitted. Comes with good instructions to fit the isolator but cannot find the appropriate earth wire that I need to cu into on the boat. I presume the general set up of boats will be roughly the same. Can someone tell me the best and easiest way to get in to the appropriate earth wire ? Secondly we have found that three or four times during our week stay on the boat the trip switches have sometimes tripped to the 230ac on the boat and on the mooring post once. W have disconnected items on the boat such as the kettle and other appliances to try to find the fault but does not happen at regular intervals. It can happen twice in one day and then nothing for several. Mainly when hot water heater is on or something that draws a lot like the washing machine. If we have anything heavy on then switch on other items such as small things that's when it might go. are we possibly asking too much from the shore power or should it be ok with this ? maybe we are asking too much at anyone time !  

What type of switch is tripping? It could be an MCB or an RCD. MCBs trip on excess current; RCDs trip when there is current leakage to earth downstream of the RCD.

If it is the RCD, then if the boat one is trippig, it points to a fault on the boat side.

23 minutes ago, Karl said:

Hi, Thanks for that. I don't know the difference between an RCD and an MCB. !

It’ll be written on it. 

Regardless, from your description it sounds like you’re simply overloading it, so it’s likely just an MCB tripping due to over current. 

The earth wire you you need to cut into is the one that comes from the back of the shore power input. 

• Greenie 1

RCD will have a "test" button on it. MCB will not have.

Mcb will have a current rating on it, 6, 10, or 16 amps. exceeding this load will trip it out. Look at the appliances and the water heater ratings. Each kilowatt will be approx 4 amps.

Gal Isol is the first thing in the earth wire in the boat after the blue input socket/plug.