fuel pump lubrication point

jenevers

Featured Posts

On the top half of the fuel injection pump for the 4LW you will see a pair of fuel cotrol blocks each having 2 connections at the top to the injectors.  These are connected by a rod in the middle so these two units work together.  There should be a Lucas plaque showing the pump details on this and at the same level you should see a 2BA set screw on each of these two blocks.  That is were the oil goes.

Sorry no photo at the moment.

47 minutes ago, PeterG said:

On the top half of the fuel injection pump for the 4LW you will see a pair of fuel cotrol blocks each having 2 connections at the top to the injectors.  These are connected by a rod in the middle so these two units work together.  There should be a Lucas plaque showing the pump details on this and at the same level you should see a 2BA set screw on each of these two blocks.  That is were the oil goes.

Sorry no photo at the moment.

Do you mean the cheese head screw between levers 2 & 3? To the immediate left of the top corner of the label?31FC00CF-DBE0-44E4-BE08-5A4F556C9852.jpeg.472db7f975e61f62a50630885a21ec98.jpeg

Yes that is right.  I did not know the 4LW was a single block of 4 thought it was split like the cylinders into 2s and 3s.

I would agree 30cc does seem a lot but just checking my manual that is what it states though.

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

Yes that is right.  I did not know the 4LW was a single block of 4 thought it was split like the cylinders into 2s and 3s.

I would agree 30cc does seem a lot but just checking my manual that is what it states though.

Great stuff. Thanks. I didn't want to unscrew the wrong screw as I know these pumps are very precisely set up?

Edited by jenevers

10 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I would leave that one alone that is for the later new fangled governer adaptions that my engine does not have.  Not for filling with any more oil.

OK. I'll give it a miss. Btw 30 cc is 6 teaspoons!!!!

14 minutes ago, PeterG said:

What I do, not in the manual of course, is every couple of hundred hours put in a couple of squirts from my oil can.  Highly scientific as you can see.

that is my approach too, but I may try some more next time if its supposed to be 30CC!

By the way, Carb Cleaner is good for removing the oil/diesel residue on the pump exterior, but needs good ventilation.

I believe I am right saying the manual recommends the 30cc every thousand hours, so a couple of squirts every couple of hundrede should be ample.  Perhaps if you cannot say when last time would be good to start with more?

10 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I would leave that one alone that is for the later new fangled governer adaptions that my engine does not have.  Not for filling with any more oil.

OK. I'll give it a miss. Btw 30 cc is 6 teaspoons!!!!

What new fangled governor adaptations?....electronic injection?........monumental piffle..........the governor rack,rack bushings,geared quadrants ,and entire fuel controll mechanism is there ..........no need to measure,simply squirt in some oil ,clean oil of course,with an oil can......without oil ,the mechanism will rely on thin diesel leakage for lubrication,which may have been marginal when diesel was dark brown with heavy fractions,but the thin kerosine like diesel today lubricates nothing.....Oil the mechanism before governor action becomes jerky ,and the parts wear out.,and oil it frequently.......and while you are at it,oil all the pins and linkages in the governor.....And put some oil in the opposite end where the overfuel mechanism is.......dont let it go rusty.