MCC Stenson Hull

Featured Posts

we have just sold our boat which was Stenson / MCC and have to say at 28 years old the hull was solid and it's the nicest handling narrowboat I have ever steered.

they do have more gradual curves (longer bow curves & swims) than a lot of similar sized boats which I suspect goes a long way towards explaining their handling.

I know when I am looking for our next boat Stenson will be high on the list of makers to look for.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2019 at 11:18, Alan de Enfield said:

Good solid middle of the road boats the 'Ford Cortina' of the boat world.

I'd say better than that.

From what i have seen definitely rather classier than a standard "Clonecraft".

As "Jess" suggests probably with better shape, longer swims than many, and probably consequently nicer to handle.

Good boat. Solid hull, nice interior. Well equipped. Appears to have been cared for.

Downsides

- engine, Barrus Shore OK but not as good as a Beta or Isuzu.

- No well deck, hence no separate outside space for your partner when cruising.

I'd go and look at it in the flesh ASAP.

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Good boat. Solid hull, nice interior. Well equipped. Appears to have been cared for.

Downsides

- engine, Barrus Shore OK but not as good as a Beta or Isuzu.

Don't get that bit. It's a semi-trad so there will probably be room there at the back, and surely the cratch cover is over the front well-deck?

Most folk know that Jonathan Wilson built shells at Midland Canal Centre for a while in the 1990's, and MCC boats from that era are highly thought of, but IIRC they started to enter the budget sector of the market in later years.  I don't think the boat in question carries on the Wilson style and looks optimistically priced to me.  

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

This is the boat we hope to look at.... any views on this appreciated!

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=588758

Looks a tidy, well maintained boat to me.  Particularly like the rudder shape, possibly an attempt to minimise cilling.

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Don't get that bit. It's a semi-trad so there will probably be room there at the back, and surely the cratch cover is over the front well-deck?

My mistake, I thought as the advert said they will consider a part exchange for a boat with a longer foredeck, that it was a boat like the ex-Canaltime ones without a well deck.

My point is that sometimes we all prefer a bit of space and time on our own, especially when spending a lot of time in the confines of a boat. Having a well deck allows one partner to be at the front of the bost, whilst the other steers.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Downsides

- engine, Barrus Shire OK but not as good as a Beta or Isuzu.

Thanks, re the engine is this a 'biggy' or just a preference here..... ?

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks, re the engine is this a 'biggy' or just a preference here..... ?

The Barrus Shire is an adequate engine, unlike their cheaper engine  "Shanks" engine which originates from China.

It is not as refined as the Beta or Isuzu, but is reliable.

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

The Barrus Shire is an adequate engine, unlike their cheaper engine  "Shanks" engine which originates from China.

It is not as refined as the Beta or Isuzu, but is reliable.

thanks... are parts more expensive/difficult to come by for the Barrus?  

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks... are parts more expensive/difficult to come by for the Barrus?  

I don't think so regarding availability. There are a few Barrus agents about, plus most commonly used service parts (belts & filters) are cheaper from places such as http://www.filtermania.co.uk/

Not sure about the cost of Barrus engine parts as my boat has a Beta and previous boats had BMC and Mitsubishi engines.

Edited by cuthound

Saw the boat and now checking things out. How can the Hull maker be confirmed if the seller doesn't have anything on paper? I've seen the last survey and it explicitly mentions that the Hull maker is declared by seller themselves so this isn't conclusive. The Hull type is the main selling point so this point is quite important...

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Saw the boat and now checking things out. How can the Hull maker be confirmed if the seller doesn't have anything on paper? I've seen the last survey and it explicitly mentions that the Hull maker is declared by seller themselves so this isn't conclusive. The Hull type is the main selling point so this point is quite important...

I'll admit I'm no expert, only owning very much older (!) boats.

However I would say if you are talking about the claimed 2005 build boat, then it should have complied with the Recreational Craft Directive, so ought to carry the permanent identification plate that shows the relevant identification number (HIN, CIN or whatever applies).  It should be easy to validate that to an actual builder I would have thought.

If you can't find the relevant plate and/or are not given access to RCD paperwork, I would start asking serious questions.

However this is not something I have ever got personally involved in, (never having owned a new enough boat for it to apply), so if I have any of that wrong I am very happy to be corrected.

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'll admit I'm no expert, only owning very much older (!) boats.

However I would say if you are talking about the claimed 2005 build boat, then it should have complied with the Recreational Craft Directive, so ought to carry the permanent identification plate that shows the relevant identification number (HIN, CIN or whatever applies).  It should be easy to validate that to an actual builder I would have thought.

If you can't find the relevant plate and/or are not given access to RCD paperwork, I would start asking serious questions.

However this is not something I have ever got personally involved in, (never having owned a new enough boat for it to apply), so if I have any of that wrong I am very happy to be corrected.

You are correct - except the HIN is not required to be on the CE Plate/

If it was built by MCC, or any commercial builder,  it must by law have a RCD plate. The top right of the plate is the Manufacturers name and address.

Somewhere near the stern will be the HIN moulded / welded into the Hull - the 1st two letters are the country of manufacture, the next 3 letters are the manufacturers code / initials. The following are 'random' number to give the HIN.

If it was built as a 'home DIY job' then it maybe wouldn't need a 'plate' (but then you probably don't want to buy it ?)

RCD plate will look similar to this :

CAM00263.jpg

And there should be a CE declaration certificate that looks like this :

Lag380 CE declaration.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Many boats have the HIN stamped into the guard iron on the counter, so a phone call to MCC should be able to confirm where they put theirs. The HIN should also be in a hidden place known to the manufacturer, but they wont share that info.