Ellesmere Port Museum admission/mooring

magictime

Featured Posts

Am I right in thinking that one night's mooring at Ellesmere Basin is included in the price of your admission ticket? And that if you pay to moor for further nights at a lower price, this does not include admission?

Its all very laid back and relaxed, I don't think anybody checks so you could probably stay for a week and nobody would notice, but its a good place and the right thing to do is to pay for extra nights, and once moored you are inside the museum so can do look around as much as you want. Its a crap town but a lovely museum.

................Dave

Yes, admission includes first night's mooring. Then it's £4 a night after that, which will include access to the museum.

Give them an idea how long you'd like to stay when you arrive. 

As Dmr says, it's not a great town but the museum is lovely with lots to see and very safe. 

Only boaters services are an elsan and water tap. 

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Their website says THIS

It also says if you want further information to call 0151 355 5017.

I usually find the horse's mouth is more dependable than what chap's friend heard from bloke.

Yes, I looked at the website but found the wording slightly odd - 1 night per person on board £9.75 (or the normal museum entrance price) - so thought I'd see if some chap, friend or bloke could confirm my interpretation outside office hours when no one would be on the end of the phone.

I was half right - yes, the admission fee includes mooring (or vice versa if you want to look at it that way). The £4 charge for subsequent nights is unrelated to admission, since upon poking around the website, it seems the £9.75 fee gives admission for a full year anyway.

44 minutes ago, magictime said:

Yes, I looked at the website but found the wording slightly odd - 1 night per person on board £9.75 (or the normal museum entrance price) - so thought I'd see if some chap, friend or bloke could confirm my interpretation outside office hours when no one would be on the end of the phone.

I was half right - yes, the admission fee includes mooring (or vice versa if you want to look at it that way). The £4 charge for subsequent nights is unrelated to admission, since upon poking around the website, it seems the £9.75 fee gives admission for a full year anyway.

The £9.75 also gives you a full years access to the museum at Gloucester Docks too. Bargain!

As an aside, does anybody know if the cafe' allows dogs in there?

Someone on Tripadvisor recently said they are, but the website says they aren't. We are meeting friends there in a few weeks and the weather might not be suitable for sitting outside. I thought that perhaps they do allow dogs now but just haven't updated their website.

13 hours ago, dmr said:

Its all very laid back and relaxed, I don't think anybody checks so you could probably stay for a week and nobody would notice, but its a good place and the right thing to do is to pay for extra nights, and once moored you are inside the museum so can do look around as much as you want. Its a crap town but a lovely museum.

................Dave

Being born and bred in the Port I should leap to it's defence here...

But as your right I won't ;)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

The £9.75 also gives you a full years access to the museum at Gloucester Docks too. Bargain!

I think you've mis read it slightly.  The £9.75 is the museum admission price to the general public. Boaters are charged £6 pp (£5 concession) for the first night, then £4 ppn.

https://www.nwm.org.uk/Moorings.html

Edited by Flyboy

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Being born and bred in the Port I should leap to it's defence here...

But as your right I won't ;)

Its a sad place, its got the museum and big mooring basin, good water frontage to the ship canal, a few nice old buildings and a train station with an easy commute into Liverpool, with just a bit of investment and imagination it could all come back to life.

................Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its a sad place, its got the museum and big mooring basin, good water frontage to the ship canal, a few nice old buildings and a train station with an easy commute into Liverpool, with just a bit of investment and imagination it could all come back to life.

................Dave

There has been a bit of a revival in the last 20yrs or so but the "bottom end" always seems to be ignored.

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

As an aside, does anybody know if the cafe' allows dogs in there?

Someone on Tripadvisor recently said they are, but the website says they aren't. We are meeting friends there in a few weeks and the weather might not be suitable for sitting outside. I thought that perhaps they do allow dogs now but just haven't updated their website.

Dogs are allowed on site on a lead but not in the cafe.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

................Dave

Unfortunately it all costs money and the Museum does the best it can with the funds it receives.

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Unfortunately it all costs money and the Museum does the best it can with the funds it receives.

I was talking about the town itself, the museum is a brilliant place, a couple of the old boats (ships) are looking a bit sad but that almost adds to the charm of the place. A few more visitors would be good but its a bit out of the way.

...............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

I was talking about the town itself, the museum is a brilliant place, a couple of the old boats (ships) are looking a bit sad but that almost adds to the charm of the place. A few more visitors would be good but its a bit out of the way.

...............Dave

Ah, sorry didn't twig that.

Ellesmere Port town centre would have been a good loan to the French to replace Mururoa (sp) last time we were there.

The museum tries, within its tight budget, but the rest of the town needs serious regeneration.  Unfortunately there are higher profile candidates locally and they swallow the cash.

N