water cooled stern seals

Featured Posts

I have the Volvo-Penta type, and the answer is yes IF you can get the propshaft back far enough. In my case it meant removing the rudder which is also possible in the water on my boat. A rag tied around the propshaft stops too much water getting in.

I did however find that the propshaft was worn and needed replacement, and the cutlass type bearing as well, so it had to be done out of the water in the end,

Richard

Volvo or Vetus type?  The latter is certainly fairly easy to do in the water, with a few precautions.  It is also worth seeing if you can get a different bit of the prop shaft on the seal.

It is also worth checking why it is dripping.  My experience is of the Vetus type, and dripping is either due to lack of maintenance, i.e. not adding silicone grease every hundred hours,  or it is due to bad alignment of the propshaft with excessive radial movement of the shft.

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If it's of the 'traditional' - brass type, then they do drip - even if you constantly screw down the greaser... 

Try replacing the packing; it needn't drip unless the shaft has been damaged by lack of maintenance, or the lack of a plumber block has allowed excess movement in the stern tube.