Just earned my 'real boater' badge

magictime

Featured Posts

Pulled in at a lock landing around lunchtime and hopped off to find the stern swinging away from the bank. Decided it might help to pivot the boat by pushing the bow out a bit, which I attempted to do with my foot. Oops - foot goes into canal, followed by rest of leg, followed by other leg, leaving me waist deep in murky but mercifully warm water. Hoick myself onto the bank without difficulty. The whole thing must have taken ten seconds; Mrs Magictime was occupied with setting the lock and knew nothing about it till I told her. Then, of course, she sprang to my aid: tied up the boat, took me inside, hung my clothes up to dry, ran me a bath and put the kettle on. Well... actually it might be more accurate to say she laughed and carried on regardless, leaving me in my squelchy boots and soggy shorts till we moored up two locks and a mile or so later. All jolly good fun except that my brand new phone was in my pocket and I'm still waiting to see if it's going to dry out and come back to life...

• Haha 2

Lol! The very FIRST thing Mrs Magictime should have done is taken photos and posted them on facebook, obvs.... so she is still not fully fledged to have missed this opportunity.

After 42 years of boating I am still not a proper boater, as I have still yet to.... I won't say it!! 

I did immerse one leg up to about the knee a few Alvecotes ago, but still clung onto the boat so I don't think that counts. Ange even caught it on video IIRC!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
spellin
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, magictime said:

All jolly good fun except that my brand new phone was in my pocket and I'm still waiting to see if it's going to dry out and come back to life...

Unlikely (I've had a couple of Apple's that didn't come back) but try this :

Take battery out if you can, put phone in a 'tupperware' tub and bury it in rice (NO - not rice pudding) and put somewhere warm to draw out the moisture. Leave it sealed in the tub for a minimum of 2 or 3 days.

If it is going to be OK it will be by then.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unlikely but try this :

Take battery out if you can, put it in a 'tupperware' tub and bury it in rice (NO - not rice pudding) and put somewhere warm to draw out the moisture. Leave it sealed in the tub for a minimum of 2 or 3 days.

Ditto this. Worked for my Apple phone. Don't try and operated the phone whatever you do!! I left mine for three days as in my case it was very wet water.

Edited by Nightwatch

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Unlikely but try this :

Take battery out if you can, put it in a 'tupperware' tub and bury it in rice (NO - not rice pudding) and put somewhere warm to draw out the moisture. Leave it sealed in the tub for a minimum of 2 or 3 days.

We didn't have any rice so I've put it in a pile of mashed potato. It was that or pasta, and I wanted to be sure of good all-around coverage.

Dropped my work phone into the local river a couple of years ago,  it bounced on a lump of concrete on the way down and ended up in 6 inches of water. I immediately fished it out and turned it off. The battery is sealed inside, and I didn't have anything to open the SIM compartment so they stayed put. I carried it home at arms length, on a lovely warm day, to dry out.  

The metal bezel on one side was chipped, a starburst of cracks ran across the back of the phone and the front screen had one crack. But after a couple of days in the airing cupboard I turned it on to find it all working perfectly.

I never owned up at work!

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Only tossers who fall in say it is the sign of a true boater which of course it isnt

No, of course it isn't. I suppose it's a jokey way of saying that the more boating you do, the more likely it is that one day a slip, trip, loss of balance etc. will one day land you in the drink, regardless of whether you are a 'tosser' or not.

One of my staff dropped his work phone into the pit toilet in a national park. Rather than as him if he got it out ( they have a 12 foot drop) my first question was what patient were you seeing in a national park during work hours...

no coming back from that one for him. He had been suspected of goofing off for some years.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unlikely (I've had a couple of Apple's that didn't come back) but try this :

Take battery out if you can, put phone in a 'tupperware' tub and bury it in rice (NO - not rice pudding) and put somewhere warm to draw out the moisture. Leave it sealed in the tub for a minimum of 2 or 3 days.

This^^^worked for my dearly beloved a few years ago the day before we flew to Lanzagrotty.Do not attempt to turn the phone back on for a few days.The phone came back to life & was fine.Still have the Tupperware of rice just in case... 

I dropped my Samsung android phone in, it took me nearly a hour to find a keb and rescue it

It told me 'moisture has been detected in the USB port'

No kidding!

Richard

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It must have landed on its left hand side then. If it had landed on its right hand side the message would have red 'moisture detected in the USB starboard' ?

Ten points. Take a bow.

21 hours ago, magictime said:

Pulled in at a lock landing around lunchtime and hopped off to find the stern swinging away from the bank. Decided it might help to pivot the boat by pushing the bow out a bit, which I attempted to do with my foot. Oops - foot goes into canal, followed by rest of leg, followed by other leg, leaving me waist deep in murky but mercifully warm water. Hoick myself onto the bank without difficulty. The whole thing must have taken ten seconds; Mrs Magictime was occupied with setting the lock and knew nothing about it till I told her. Then, of course, she sprang to my aid: tied up the boat, took me inside, hung my clothes up to dry, ran me a bath and put the kettle on. Well... actually it might be more accurate to say she laughed and carried on regardless, leaving me in my squelchy boots and soggy shorts till we moored up two locks and a mile or so later. All jolly good fun except that my brand new phone was in my pocket and I'm still waiting to see if it's going to dry out and come back to life...

'Real boaters' don't carry a mobile phone in their pocket.

Now you know why!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rescue-Absorbs-Moisture-Damage-Smartphones/dp/B00I04MQ00/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_0/260-0608361-7731542?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B7PVPVEWTB2TM90JNDGA

Most recent smartphones are pretty impervious to water anyway.  Mine is rated as being ok up to a metre depth for half an hour.  You lot need to upgrade your phones.

21 hours ago, Tonka said:

Only tossers who fall in say it is the sign of a true boater.

I assume that you mean that ordinary people who fall in, such as Magictime, do not say this.

Or were you aiming the epithet at him? If so, it would be unwarranted.