Dewsbury to Nuneaton

Featured Posts

For me, the trip has come to a sudden end near Rugeley. Lingy and I had a major argument, over various things that had been building up these last two weeks, and by mutual agreement I packed my things and am now on a bus into Lichfield to go home. As regulars on this forum will know, I've done quite a number of trips as crew for strangers and all the others have been pleased, or if not they've been too nice to say otherwise! In the end it all got too much and I'm relieved to be off away from Lingy; I think he'll feel likewise!

Sorry to hear that Peter, but at least you got to see some of the Northern system.

Despite your disagreement,  I hope Lingy appreciated your hard graft crossing the Pennines. 

I don't expect to need your assistance personally, but I am happy to suggest you as a possibility to anyone who might.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

For me, the trip has come to a sudden end near Rugeley. Lingy and I had a major argument, over various things that had been building up these last two weeks, and by mutual agreement I packed my things and am now on a bus into Lichfield to go home. As regulars on this forum will know, I've done quite a number of trips as crew for strangers and all the others have been pleased, or if not they've been too nice to say otherwise! In the end it all got too much and I'm relieved to be off away from Lingy; I think he'll feel likewise!

I’m amazed you stuck it out that long. You may have been well advised not to even start once it was clear you weren’t going to be directly assisting the owner as per the invitation.

JP

• Greenie 2

Sorry to hear that Peter. You give your assistance free of charge and in good faith.

Like "The Biscuits , I am Happy to recommend your services.

I hope Lingy gets to appreciate all that you and Steve did for him. I expect all three of you found this trip very stressful.

• Greenie 1

It was not a fun trip on the whole for any of us, it's fair to say. I won't be discussing details, it wouldn't be right, not least because Stephen is not on the forum and Lingy told me he's been banned.

Lingy did appreciate me staying on to operate the locks (and do some steering) after Stephen went home from Saddleworth, but he was angry with me over various things, and in the end dropped me off by a bridge where there was a bus stop, which turned out to have a bus 30 minutes later into Lichfield, from where I got a train to Euston, so my journey home wasn't too bad.

I think I've learned a few things from my part in this trip which I'll apply in the future (plus a basic understanding of the BMC 1800 raw water cooling system!), and I won't let all the trouble put me off doing other trips as crew for strangers off the forum, it's been my first bad experience.

As for the boat, it's a project boat which he's now done enough to to get it near to home where he can easily work on it, but I get the impression he has the knowledge needed to do it up and make it pretty good. I won't identify it because he may not want me to.

• Greenie 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

It was not a fun trip on the whole for any of us, it's fair to say. I won't be discussing details, it wouldn't be right, not least because Stephen is not on the forum and Lingy told me he's been banned.

Lingy did appreciate me staying on to operate the locks (and do some steering) after Stephen went home from Saddleworth, but he was angry with me over various things, and in the end dropped me off by a bridge where there was a bus stop, which turned out to have a bus 30 minutes later into Lichfield, from where I got a train to Euston, so my journey home wasn't too bad.

I think I've learned a few things from my part in this trip which I'll apply in the future (plus a basic understanding of the BMC 1800 raw water cooling system!), and I won't let all the trouble put me off doing other trips as crew for strangers off the forum, it's been my first bad experience.

As for the boat, it's a project boat which he's now done enough to to get it near to home where he can easily work on it, but I get the impression he has the knowledge needed to do it up and make it pretty good. I won't identify it because he may not want me to.

Peter there's a job going for you which you'll be more than suitable for in Washington as UK's Ambassador to the US.

Well done you, sorry you've had such a problem!