Looking for a good mooring in Burnley

PeterCr

Featured Posts

Hi all, we're currently south of Burnley and would like to stop there for a couple of things.

It looks like a long day getting through Burnley, as there are a few locks to do as well. Not sure we can do our jobs there and get through all in one day. It would be Saturday or Sunday.

Can anyone recommend a good safe overnight mooring in Burnley? Nicholsons suggests just north of bridge 130h near the water park but does anyone have any local knowledge of moorings there? Or is there somewhere better? Cheers.

Ex-burnley area moorer. Throw that copy of Nicholsons away! No locks between the top of Blackburn and Barrowford (52 to 51). Depends what 'things' you want to do. Safe moorings at Rose Grove services (126 to 126a not as in Nicholsons) in BW yard so secure and small local shops just up th road. 130a to 130b in Burnley OK - pub now closed with a 10 min walk down the hill to all shops. Stop at 130 Sandygate, over bridge and up hill to main road, left along to filling station with good mini market. Hope this helps.

30 minutes ago, Opener said:

Ex-burnley area moorer. Throw that copy of Nicholsons away! No locks between the top of Blackburn and Barrowford (52 to 51). Depends what 'things' you want to do. Safe moorings at Rose Grove services (126 to 126a not as in Nicholsons) in BW yard so secure and small local shops just up th road. 130a to 130b in Burnley OK - pub now closed with a 10 min walk down the hill to all shops. Stop at 130 Sandygate, over bridge and up hill to main road, left along to filling station with good mini market. Hope this helps.

Any copy in fact. They have got progressively worse over the years and are know more a church spotters guide.

5 hours ago, Opener said:

Apologies, you're quite right, the locks are at Barrowford. We had just been advised not to moor in Burnley (lockie on the Wigan flight) and so looking at the map we thought we'd head right out of the built up area, past Burnley and Barrowford up to around bridge 144, and it appeared we needed to do the locks to get to the countryside up there. So I just lumped them all in as going through Burnley. But it looked like a long day.

However it looks like we've got a couple of options thanks Opener and Canal321. Rose Grove looks good. The things to do include going to Screwfix to buy a new pair of boots. Mine are pretty much falling apart and I've looked elsewhere and not found anything. There's a screwfix that sell boots right near the canal at 130A - 130B. Perfect. And they're open Sundays.

Good to get some informed advice never having been there ourselves, thanks.

47 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

Apologies, you're quite right, the locks are at Barrowford. We had just been advised not to moor in Burnley (lockie on the Wigan flight) and so looking at the map we thought we'd head right out of the built up area, past Burnley and Barrowford up to around bridge 144, and it appeared we needed to do the locks to get to the countryside up there. So I just lumped them all in as going through Burnley. But it looked like a long day.

If you go to a local pub, ask for a Benny. In the 1stWW, the Burnley Pals Battalion was billeted by the monastery where Benedictine is 'brewed', and they got a taste for it. I think more Benedictine is still drunk in Burnley than anywhere else.

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

So they exist?

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think they’re a myth put about by trad boat owners just to wind people up. 

Yes they do exist on trad boats, along with self-filling up ones on cruisers and semi-trads ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PeterCr said:

We had just been advised not to moor in Burnley (lockie on the Wigan flight)

There's a screwfix that sell boots right near the canal at 130A - 130B. Perfect. And they're open Sunday.

Long way from Wigan to Burnley! May not be informed advice.

Screwfix - cross canal at br130, up the hill to main road, turn left. A fair hike (with dodgy boots!) but set back on your right after Macdonuts, etc.

Lots of countryside after Burnley.

Really poor advice from the lockie at Wigan. 

I dont think theres anywhere i wouldnt moor along there. But definitely some places that are better than others....

once you you get a bit past Reedley take your time as your on one of the most scenic sections of canal all the way through to skipton. About 30 mins from reedley there is an offside mooring next to the Nelson Morrison supermarket very handy for stocking up...

Well it will be interesting. We missed Rose Grove as there was a wide beam and narrowboat moored up one end and a couple of CRT working boats the other end. The only mooring left was on the water point so we moved up to the mooring at Burnley Wharf, right under the roof. We're one of 5 boats.

Had a chat to a couple of local boat owners, one was moored here for an hour or 2 though he lives just down near Rose Grove. He said there's been instances lately of kids throwing rocks at boats at Rose Grove from the towpath side. He's lived there 30 years.  Apparently, he also said, a local boat had oil poured all over it's roof lately though I didn't ask  where, and a boat owner had a brick dropped on her off a bridge, he was there at the time, saw it and went to help.

Spoke to a guy who opens and closes the old weavers house and  toll house museum, he's up and down here every day and has worked here for a year and he says he hasn't heard of any boat related problems here lately. He said the coppers patrol up and down here regularly, we saw a couple.

We we'll be glad to get away tomorrow though.

On the plus side the weavers house and toll house were worth a visit, we're in the shade on a hot day and I got my boots! And just as I typed this my wife tells me it's raining!. But not on us! 

Used to be a lively spot when the Inn was open. Probably now better for mooring without drinkers outside the door. Canopy is a good place but, before the adjacent offices closed, lighting your fire used to provoke a quick visit cos it set their fire alarms off. Good fun!

Stop off at Reedley on your way through. All services (check opening times) plus the Bistro - just don't get drinking with the A  jetty crew!

That wide beam at the Grove (the white one) has been there must be 2 years now.. it did have a local mooring at one point but it just seems to live there now, right outside the crt office.... it's not the only one to use Rose Grove as a long term home. 

They may have permission I don't know , but as you see, Rose Grove is a little short of space. 

Edited by Canal321

Just now, Canal321 said:

That wide beam at the Grove (the white one) has been there must be 2 years now.. it did have a local mooring at one point but it just seems to live there now, right outside the crt office.... it's not the only one to use Rose Grove as a long term home. 

They may have permission I don't know , but as you see, Rose Grove is a little short of space. 

I don't know about permission, but I do know they have the only dog that runs around at Rose Grove inside the locked compund...

1 hour ago, Canal321 said:

And moored awkwardly last time we were there, wouldn’t be so bad if they moved right up to the end of decking. 

We were  there for a couple of months last year waiting for the water restrictions to be lifted and wasn’t long before I started getting the your boat had been spotted... emails

27 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

And moored awkwardly last time we were there, wouldn’t be so bad if they moved right up to the end of decking. 

Exactly what we said when we saw it. Might have made room for us.