Strange request- engine maintenance help

Leemc

Featured Posts

Hi all,

As mentioned in other messages, we have bought our first narrowboat and loving the experience.

I'm looking for someone who knows their way around an engine( it's a Beta 43 in good nick) who would be willing to spend few hours with me, showing me the basics of what do to keep it in good shape. I know I could watch videos and read manuals but would much rather have hands on guided experience. I would of course pay for the help and provide endless tea and biscuits!

Does anyone know someone who might be interested? We are moored on the Macclesfield canal.

cheers in advance

Hi Leemc - congratulations on your choice of engine. Our boat has a Beta 43 and it's fairly straightforward to work on (oil and filter changes, gearbox oil changes (presumably a PRM150), alternator belt tensions (2 belts) and so on. Provided you have some idea how a simple diesel engine works, provide yourself with a Beta manual and a set of metric ring spanners and off you go!

For some reason the Beta 43 manual isn't on the Beta web site anymore but I've always found the people down at Quedgeley very helpful. The phone number is 01452 723492. The vital piece of information they will need is the engine build number.  

Beta spares from the company itself are a bit on the expensive side but you have the great comfort of knowing they are exactly the right parts.