Paint shelf life

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, blackrose said:

... Hemple ….. single pack polyurethane …... Epoxy Primer/Undercoat..... Hemple Light Primer...…….. hardener is organic …...shelf life of a few years at best. 

…...single pack polyurethane topcoat paint …..a single pack Hemple Primer Undercoat between Jotamastic 87 epoxy on my decks …... international Interdeck topcoat..... primer undercoat are .

I think you're confusing yourself with jargon there.

I'd have thought life of the shelf depends on how many coats you put on it, as well as what you then store on the shelf.

Don't put a sander on it or carborunderumdum.

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. It sounds like the main issue is with epoxies rather than single part paints. I'm going to do a test patch with the old Hemple epoxy primer/undercoat, give it 24 hours and see if it's still any good.

I thought about that but new empty cans are expensive on eBay. Where do you get them? I'm not going to start washing out old cans with thinners.

e Bay about £1-50 each

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Does he mean it was grown without chemicals, or merely that it contains carbon?

I assumed he was talking about organic components of paints such as synthetic resin dispersions or silicone resin emulsions -based on the chemistry of hydrocarbons (petroleum chemistry), as opposed to mineral components.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

e Bay about £1-50 each

Really? When I searched they were about £4 each. I'll have another look.

Edit: No, I can't see them that cheap. Can you post a link?

Edited by blackrose

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes it's the two part paints where shelf life seems to be important. Not an issue for most single part paints.

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes it's the two part paints where shelf life seems to be important. Not an issue for most single part paints.

This might be the crux of it. I painted the shelves in my garage with single part paint  years ago and they're still fine. I'm glad I didn't use two pack now! 

Edited by Sea Dog
Double post

I did the test with some of that hemple epoxy and it seems fine. It's stuck to the aluminium well and gone off hard. The full cure time is 7 days so it's only going to get harder. The paint is at least 7 years old and hemple give it a 3 year shelf life but I guess they err on the side of caution.