Which stove?

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

They all look good, but I think I prefer the looks of the Torgem and the Boatman best. The Squirrel is definitely the most expensive, but we would like one that we can cook things (like soups and stews) on top of and I've heard the Squirrel can do that...

Any suggestions?

As an owner of a squirrel for just two weeks I think its great. Does its job perfectly and easy to keep the ash pan clean.

So far I've only boiled a kettle on it but I would expect you can cook on it.

They all look good, but I think I prefer the looks of the Torgem and the Boatman best. The Squirrel is definitely the most expensive, but we would like one that we can cook things (like soups and stews) on top of and I've heard the Squirrel can do that...

Any suggestions?

Squirrel are by far the best quality we have come across.

Gary

hmmm our boatbuilder wouldn't fit a back boiler and rads to this...........he said he considered it dangerous(for some reason)?.......but other people have.....

:/

Now that does surprise me since they are advertised as available with backboiler from the makers and when we had one fitted on our previous boat we were asked if we required back boiler and rads.

:D Yeah, all trades have people like that, whe we had our house built we where told we couldnt have 3" cavitys, whi could have a wood beam, and we certainly should have a mains presure hot water cylinder, adn we ended up fitting the under floor heating ourselfs.

Anyway, back to topic. We have a Squirral with a back boiler to three rads and a calorifyer, very happy with it indeed, has worked faultlessly for about 14years. Parts are readly avalable (ie the door seal if you leave it shut over winter. or the doorglass, if you put a table though it)

As for cooking, we use if for boiling the kettle and cook stews. but im sure it could do more if the gas cooker wasnt quite so handy all the time!

- It is more epensive, but it oozes quality. The doors/grate/boiler/ashpan/ridde all fit accuatly first time. And, it does look very tidy.

Daniel

In the greatest tradition of boat building if you don't know how or have never done it before. "Make an excuse and move on rapidly" this attitude anoys me but is common.

Gary

Yes I think your right there..............................

Im miffed now........ :D

( I wuz fobbed off)....... :D

:D:D:D

:D

Bottle.......your nuts :D

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose boat length would also come into this

A Boatman stove on a full length boat is practically useless andHaving a Squirrel on a 30ft boat is a bit of a beast.

Yeah, tis true.

Having sayed that the heated area of our (63ft) boat is only about 30ft and we have a squiral.

Daniel

I suppose boat length would also come into this

A Boatman stove on a full length boat is practically useless andHaving a Squirrel on a 30ft boat is a bit of a beast.

We had a squirrel on our 1st boat - (70ft narrowboat) which ran 4 rads and boat was always toasty in winter. Once you get the hang of it it'll stay in all winter - I miss it - we've just done a second winter on a part insulated barge with no central heating. We used to burn nuts sometimes.

Once you get the hang of it it'll stay in all winter.

Yeah, there great arnt they, Fuel in the top, heat out the side, ash out the bottom.

- The only time we struggled to keep in in over night was one time when we got a batch of really bad fuel. it was really "ashy" and had to be riddeled about every 4hours, or it would smouther itself :)

Dainel