Good/Safe near to railway moorings S of Milton Keynes

Simon D

Featured Posts

I need to go to a funeral in about ten days time, when I planned to be travelling South of Milton Keynes, I note that there are some railway stations close by, any of which would get me where I need to go.

Fenny Stratford

Linslade

Cheddington

Tring

I don't know the area at all, so can anybody with local knowledge advise on places to moor, or not to moor, reasonable walking distance from a station, where I could sensibly leave the boat unmanned for 36 hours.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Simon D

Cheddington station is about 15 minutes walk from the canal, but moorings are good and safe, both at the Brownlows and at Cooks Wharf stretch.

Tring station is at the middle of Tring cutting, not many people moor here as it is gloomy and damp

Linslade is good if you can get a mooring, south of the Tesco is most likely. Fenny Stratford trains are few and far between, you have to change at MK,and dont run sundays.

Completely safe anywhere on that length Simon , my advice is simply look for a few already moored Boats and simply tie up next to them . Fenny Stratford is a 15 minute walk from Bletchley Station and if you give a shout across to Alan ( WOL ) the now redundant Mooring Warden who is Permanently Moored on the Offside just before Fenny Lock , he will doubtless look after you

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Cheddington station is about 15 minutes walk from the canal, but moorings are good and safe, both at the Brownlows and at Cooks Wharf stretch.

Tring station is at the middle of Tring cutting, not many people moor here as it is gloomy and damp

Linslade is good if you can get a mooring, south of the Tesco is most likely. Fenny Stratford trains are few and far between, you have to change at MK,and dont run sundays.

Even if you ignore the possibility of a train from Fenny to Bletchley, it is actually significantly less distance to walk from the canal at Fenny Stratford to Bletchley station than it is to walk from the canal at Cooks Wharf to Cheddington Station.

Trains from Fenny to Bletchley are not that infrequent, (provided it is not a Sunday, of course), and Cheddington doesn't actually have anything like the service of most other stations on the Euston to Milton Keynes line.

As has been said, none of those are bad places to leave a boat for a couple of days.

As ^^ Parahandy says - also, moor outside The Plough in Simpson, and the bus stop is - leave The Plough from the car park, turn right and the bus stop is about 100 yards on the left. If you need the bus times, let me know (my wife is the bus guru but is out this evening).

• Haha 1

Thanks for the advice. Fenny might be convenient for the station, but actually Cheddington fits my cruising plans and I don't mind a 15 minute walk, so I will probably end up there.

Best wishes

24 minutes ago, Simon D said:

Thanks for the advice. Fenny might be convenient for the station, but actually Cheddington fits my cruising plans and I don't mind a 15 minute walk, so I will probably end up there.

Best wishes

Google Maps shows the walking route from Cooks Wharf to Cheddington station as 1.8 miles and 36 minutes.

To achieve it in 15 minutes would involve quite a lot of running!

11 hours ago, Simon D said:

Best wishes

Cheddington has the least frequent train service and is the most remote station from the canal on the line. Depending on which way you are heading either Leighton Buzzard or Cowroast/Tring area might be easier. If you don’t mind a walk head up from Cowroast to Tring station. It’s along the canal rather than the road and it’s a lot closer than Cook’s Wharf is to Cheddington station.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

The walk to Cheddington station is not easy. The direct footpath from Horton lock goes through a field that generally has cows. Two successive years I have had to abort walking through this field as been mobbed by the cows. I am very used to hiking in the countryside and generally don't let cows put me off. The walk on the road to Cheddington isn't fun either as no verge and fast traffic.

Tring cutting is fine but just use plenty of pins as people do speed there. May not be other boats but have left my boat unattended for a day or 2 with no problems in the past. Cowroast is quite a walk...closer to 20-30 mins. Mooring at Water Eaton and walking to Bletchley is 20 mins and nice secure moorings with armco. Or south of the disused railway bridge in Leighton Buzzard about 15 mins walk and also safe moorings with armco. ? 

Edited by Dave123

When our mooring was on the GU and C was commuting to Harrow we used to use Tring, Linslade and Wolverton all with acceptable moorings and easily walkable, and all with decent services to London.