replacing engine mount

Featured Posts

One of the front mounts on my engine needs replacing. To do this I have to Jack up the front end by an inch or so. I will replace both front mounts.

The engine is connected to the prop via an aqua drive.

Question is;- Will the drive be able to cope with this change of angle or do I need to disconnect it?

16 minutes ago, Floating Male said:

One of the front mounts on my engine needs replacing. To do this I have to Jack up the front end by an inch or so. I will replace both front mounts.

The engine is connected to the prop via an aqua drive.

Question is;- Will the drive be able to cope with this change of angle or do I need to disconnect it?

Yes and a lot more too, they are automotive CV joints, cope with angles of over 30 degrees

11 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Do your new mounts allow you to remove the stud? Slip the mount underneath and screw the stud back in. You don't need to jack anything up then, as the other mounts hold it up.

Are yes, I sort of suspected that but went with the way I did it last time. Next time I will try that. Is it as simple as that, or are there any pitfalls? ?

40 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Simple as that! Just make sure that they're all balanced up. Personally, I'd never change individual mounts, but the complete set. If one has gone, then the others will be worn.

Unless it went because of local contamination by fuel or oil. The others may well be perfectly serviceable. A professional always changing a full set is understandable but not a DIY owner. In the latter case it all depends upon inspecting the other mounts.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless it went because of local contamination by fuel or oil. The others may well be perfectly serviceable. A professional always changing a full set is understandable but not a DIY owner. In the latter case it all depends upon inspecting the other mounts.

Spot on. The mount under the oil filter! Grrr. And I only had two spares.

I will probably change the others when I can get replacements.

Many thanks both.

P.S. How can you be an "ex"-brummie?

Surely once you are a brummie you are for life? I still got called a brummie even when I lived in Spain!

21 hours ago, Floating Male said:

P.S. How can you be an "ex"-brummie?

Surely once you are a brummie you are for life? I still got called a brummie even when I lived in Spain!

Well, yes, but not lived there for 30 years. Don't really call myself anything now except perhaps local, wherever I am after a life around all parts of the West Mids.

Back to your engine mounts, do you have different specs/weight ratings front and back? If so, make sure you use the right one.