Skin Tank had emptied itself.

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

My concern would be that if you run with the pressure cap in place and for long enough for heat and pressure to build up, the repair might blow and leak again.

If there's a risk of coolant coming out I think I'd prefer it to come out the top into a bucket rather than from skin tank into bilge. If the repair has held so far without the cap I probably wouldn't risk putting it back on now.

If you are literally only going to move a mile or two then it's probably not going to get hot enough for much to overflow.

But I'm only guessing based on limited experience.

How much further to your destination?

without the cap the level will just keep rising as i did on a boat i went out to last week on the cov where the cap seal had deteriorated ... the pressure will be at the highest point hence the expansion tank ... it allows the fluid to rise and fall, but only escape if the cap spring pressure is reached.

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

Travelled three and a half miles. And three locks. After a short time the temp shot up. Took cap off carefully and it just burps a lot. Temp went down. That was mid channel. Start up again and temp behaved itself for about half an hour then rose again. But steadied at 80 (ish) degrees. Now moored near the playing fields at the Gallows Inn. All the above with cap on. Still a level in header tank.  Better than yesterday?

Five miles to go. With seven locks. Four hours?? 

I think a beer in the Gallows (sounds odd) is called for.

18 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Travelled three and a half miles. And three locks. After a short time the temp shot up. Took cap off carefully and it just burps a lot. Temp went down. That was mid channel. Start up again and temp behaved itself for about half an hour then rose again. But steadied at 80 (ish) degrees. Now moored near the playing fields at the Gallows Inn. All the above with cap on. Still a level in header tank.  Better than yesterday?

Five miles to go. With seven locks. Four hours?? 

I think a beer in the Gallows (sounds odd) is called for.

Sounds to me like you didn't put back as much in as you had lost from overflow. When I had recent overheating (after having the coolant replaced) it burped a lot. When it had cooled down we managed to get another 3 or 4L in, with a lot more gurgling, before the level settled. The next day it got hot again, without the warning light and buzzer coming on this time (we don't have a guage unfortunately), and we had more burping, albeit less dramatically. I got another few litres in and the level and temperature (as far as I can tell without a gauge) have been fine ever since.

I don't seem to be able to see any way of bleeding mine so just have to get the engine to force air out through the header tank with the cap off.

Good luck for the remainder of the trip Martyn.

20 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Sounds to me like you didn't put back as much in as you had lost from overflow. When I had recent overheating (after having the coolant replaced) it burped a lot. When it had cooled down we managed to get another 3 or 4L in, with a lot more gurgling, before the level settled. The next day it got hot again, without the warning light and buzzer coming on this time (we don't have a guage unfortunately), and we had more burping, albeit less dramatically. I got another few litres in and the level and temperature (as far as I can tell without a gauge) have been fine ever since.

I don't seem to be able to see any way of bleeding mine so just have to get the engine to force air out through the header tank with the cap off.

Good luck for the remainder of the trip Martyn.

Thank you. We travelled with another boat today. 'He' has just been down and said he's happy to travel with us tomorrow and tow us in the event of.............so all is fine.

13 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank you. We travelled with another boat today. 'He' has just been down and said he's happy to travel with us tomorrow and tow us in the event of.............so all is fine.

Glad to hear your moving and have company , just in case ... but i am sure once the air is out you will be absolutely fine :) 

Rick

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I've two automatic air valves mounted on top at each end of my skin tank. These were fitted in 2008 when my boat was new and have never had any problems with air in  the cooling system   https://www.screwfix.com/p/bottle-air-vent-15mm/34359

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I've two automatic air valves mounted on top at each end of my skin tank. These were fitted in 2008 when my boat was new and have never had any problems with air in  the cooling system   https://www.screwfix.com/p/bottle-air-vent-15mm/34359

Having seen them fail I would just have a manual bleed screw or an isolation valve below the vent that van be closed once all the air is out

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Having seen them fail I would just have a manual bleed screw or an isolation valve below the vent that van be closed once all the air is out

I've not had any problems in 11 years but your comment regarding a valve below it is a good one.

Might still be a bit of air in the system, which causes excessive expansion, especially if un pressurised. I suspect that tap water can have a fair bit of air disolved in it, which gradually comes out as it's heated and cooled. I usually have to bleed the skin tank a few times over a week or so after a major re-fill.

For those that have not given up on this thread. We have arrived safe and well in Langley Mill and are now in safe hands. 

Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and differing opinions. We selected wisely and managed to somehow get a result.

Thank You forum. Dare I use the term, you came up Trumps.

• Happy 3

Just now, Nightwatch said:

For those that have not given up on this thread. We have arrived safe and well in Langley Mill and are now in safe hands. 

Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and differing opinions. We selected wisely and managed to somehow get a result.

Thank You forum. Dare I use the term, you came up Trumps.

Lets hope there is no engine damage

Good news Martyn, must be a relief. The last few weeks since we went our separate ways at Braunston seem to have been rather more exciting for you than for us.

We'll be setting off for our main summer cruise next weekend so maybe we'll meet up again, depending where you go after you finish at Langley Mill.

I'll pm you in a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...

Update.

We have had a period in dry dock, skin tank fabricated fitted and tested. Sucess.

Cruiser stern deck board supports all renewed and now removable for 'injin ole' access. Additional rotten metal removed and replaced. Base of both gas lockers cut away replaced and gunnel uprights at stern repaired. Lots more work than first thought. Lots of other little niggley things requested (as the welder was switched on anyway) done.

New calorifier and additional expansion tank fitted and tested.

Boat now finished and ready for another 30 years of living aboard. 

The crew and I are very pleased.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 4

34 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Good news. Presumably you're back on board and happy to be so after a summer on land.

Are you on the move yet?

Still in Hampshire at present. 'Setting sail' on Saturday.

Slightly off topic. I have been suffering a reoccurrence of a foot ailment named something like Plantar Faciitis or similar. My first bout of this was, strangely enough a year ago to the date. This year it has occurred to my other, (until now uneffected foot.)I have just two feet, so maybe that's it now!! 

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Slightly off topic. I have been suffering a reoccurrence of a foot ailment named something like Plantar Faciitis or similar. My first bout of this was, strangely enough a year ago to the date. This year it has occurred to my other, (until now uneffected foot.)I have just two feet, so maybe that's it now!! 

Good insoles may help. 

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Still in Hampshire at present. 'Setting sail' on Saturday.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/plantar-fasciitis/