Skin Tank had emptied itself.

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Beat four eggs up, or more in a mug as if for an omlette. Warm up engine and skin tank. Remove top hose from engine. Pour the mixrure into the skin tank down the hose where it will spread and begin to harden and cover the pin holes. Reconnect hose. Top up with water. Start engine and run until all is at normal temperature including skin tank, when the egg mix will harden further over pin holes and hopefully block em up. Do not pour mixture into engine which could block up waterways and goo up the thermostat.  Its really common sense. Look what happens if you eat too many eggs, they can block and bind you up with constipation for days, as can by drinking Holts Radweld. :closedeyes:

I wondered how long it would be before you came up with this suggestion.?

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I wondered how long it would be before you came up with this suggestion.?

Ah, but it does work, better than Radweld. Look how egg sticks to your breakfast plate if left to dry out and harden, can be a devil to scrub off.  And if you have a beard and dribble egg on it you will regret it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ah, but it does work, better than Radweld. Look how egg sticks to your breakfast plate if left to dry out and harden, can be a devil to scrub off.  And if you have a beard and dribble egg on it you will regret it.

I do and I have??

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks John. Been busy all afternoon chatting to these fabulous people at North Kilworth Wharf. Couldn't be more helpful. The new(ish) owner John immediately got a boat out and towed a Nightwatch the rest of the way to the wharf. Ben, long established engineer and all sorts man on site looked at the issue. Awaiting delivery of epoxy two pack sealer/filler stuff. If it arrives soon he will apply tonight to allow fir it to 'go off' overnight. Top up the system and pressure test before sending us on our way. That's the plan, what the plan doesn't allow for is that 'I' meaning me being part of the plan. Let's wait and see.

Didnt realise they do so much here. A couple of slipways. Resident boat painter. In the middle of a back to metal paint. Looks good. Very helpful.

Does he see this as a temp fix until your steel work later in the year, or a permanent fix ?

20 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

Does he see this as a temp fix until your steel work later in the year, or a permanent fix ?

It will be permanent until it goes again!

It will all depend on what sort of bond you get between the epoxy and the steel. I doubt the bottom of the skin tank is at excessive temperature so it could last a while*.

*A while = a day, a month, a year, 5 years.

Long enough to figure out how to repair/replace the skin tank.

Go for it.

1 hour ago, 70liveaboard said:

Purely and Definately temporary. Due for steel work due mid July. Spoken to the Boatyard and they can do a permanant jobby. Have to raid my piggy bank and anyone else's that may be hanging around.

Not just strange but bloomin' annoying. In our case it's bad maintenance and corrosion. The boat is nigh on 28 years old. I have ignored if for 14 of those years.

(I'm not that bad, honest guy.) It wil get sorted by hook or by crook, and welder.

Update if anyone interested. 

Left North Kilworth this morning, cruised two or so hours. Temp gauge showing just above 80 degrees. (Is this normal?) Always has done.

There has been about two egg cups full of water seeped out. Nothing major, but I'm keeping an eye on it until either we get it fixed properly in two/three weeks time or my confidence is such that I am confident.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Update if anyone interested. 

Left North Kilworth this morning, cruised two or so hours. Temp gauge showing just above 80 degrees. (Is this normal?) Always has done.

There has been about two egg cups full of water seeped out. Nothing major, but I'm keeping an eye on it until either we get it fixed properly in two/three weeks time or my confidence is such that I am confident.

Was that just an epoxy repair?

If so go for the radweld or kseal to temporarily cure the seeping.

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Was that just an epoxy repair?

If so go for the radweld or kseal to temporarily cure the seeping.

Epoxy with 'sticks like sh*t' real name on top.

Thought of that. Great minds and all that nonsense.

Brother, complete with car, visiting this weekend. I have a plan.

Edited by Nightwatch

20 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I am!

Good luck with the rest of trip Martyn, hope it holds out until you get to the destination boatyard.

Thanks Sean. I to, hope it holds out. My old boss used to say, "Hope is not a strategy Martyn" It used to annoy me as he was right!!

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Eggs!! seriousely. :closedeyes:

I love eggs, wouldn't want to waste any unless I was sure it would work.

Isn't there a danger of bits of scrambled egg finding their way into places where they might cause another problem?

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I love eggs, wouldn't want to waste any unless I was sure it would work.

Isn't there a danger of bits of scrambled egg finding their way into places where they might cause another problem?

:) It does work probably better than Radweld which can also clog things up. Read my post 74 on how to prevent that. 

In the olden days, well 60s and 70s we used to use eggs to seal little holes in rads. It does work. Radweld has never worked for me. For some reason.

Respect to Mr Bizzard I won't do the egg bit this time. But thank you for a memory jerker.