Telly Tubby Land × 13

Featured Posts

I've taken the glass out of one of the windows and I'm winkling mounds of moss out of the bottom window frame. I'm also cleaning the glass, clearing drainage channels, scrubbing the frames with de-mould stuff, tea tree oiling the wooden internal frames and cleaning the Venetian blinds (which in itself is a job that inspires thoughts of stabbing myself to death slowly and brutally with a wooden slat). I've got numerous cloths, towels, cotton wool pads, sprays, wooden skewers, kitchen knives, and toothpicks on the go. Nb Black Pearl cruises past and the lady on the back deck sees what I'm doing and calls out: "You're a good girl!"

I call back: "I've not done this for at least two years. So I'm not at all a good girl!" ?

It's like Telly Tubby Land along the bottoms of the windows. Only thirteen to heckin clean out. ? But I must suffer for my daylight. 

Oh, and nobody tell the boyf I've demoted his toothbrush to "Window frame moss cleaner-outer" ?? 

20190624_114440.jpg

20190624_114506.jpg

20190624_113446.jpg

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Did my venetian blinds with kitchen wipes, much quicker. Toothbrush for around the strings. Must admit I seriously considered buying curtains. 

Job reserved for when you have time to kill. 

Edited by reg

8 minutes ago, reg said:

Did my venetian blinds with kitchen wipes, much quicker. Toothbrush for around the strings. Must admit I seriously considered buying curtains. 

Job reserved for when you have time to kill. 

I highly recommend using someone else's toothbrush ??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Bin the Eco rubbish and buy something that will actualy do the job innitt :D

You evidently haven't used Ecover multi-action very much, it's actually really good stuff. I don't just use it cos it's eco I use it cos I prefer it. Ecover multi-action and Ecover washing up liquid have been a staple under my kitchen sinks for over 20 years and on the odd occasion I use those products you think are "proper" they are over perfumed, over frothy, and they make me wheeze and I don't ever suffer from any breathing problems in any other way. Why would I use a product that harms something important to me when I can use a product that I find equity as good and in some cases better that doesn't harm it. No brainer really. 

I use Ecover washing up liquid, multi-action cleaner, window cleaner, toilet cleaner, liquid hand soap (Zero), wool & delicate laundry liquid (Zero) for my wool wash, and the concentrated bio laundry liquid (and no, none of my clothes are that nasty grey colour and even my grotty work and sports gear comes out clean).

I also use and can highly recommend Method, Bio-D, Dri-Pac, and Ecodoo. The one draw back with Method is they can over do the perfumes a bit, but that just personal preference as I'm not keen on perfume.

Now I'm beginning to sound like an advert so I'll shut up. :D

Edited by Tumshie
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

You evidently haven't used Ecover multi-action very much, it's actually really good stuff. I don't just use it cos it's eco I use it cos I prefer it. Ecover multi-action and Ecover washing up liquid have been a staple under my kitchen sinks for over 20 years and on the odd occasion I use those products you think are "proper" they are over perfumed, over frothy, and they make me wheeze and I don't ever suffer from any breathing problems in any other way. Why would I use a product that harms something important to me when I can use a product that I find equity as good and in some cases better that doesn't harm it. No brainer really. 

I use Ecover washing up liquid, multi-action cleaner, window cleaner, toilet cleaner, liquid hand soap (Zero), wool & delicate laundry liquid (Zero) for my wool wash, and the concentrated bio laundry liquid (and no, none of my clothes are that nasty grey colour and even my grotty work and sports gear comes out clean).

I also use and can highly recommend Method, Bio-D, Dri-Pac, and Ecodoo. The one draw back with Method is they can over do the perfumes a bit, but that just personal preference as I'm not keen on perfume.

If you're advertising cleaning services sign me up, boat could do with a thorough spring clean

:) 

• Haha 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

If you're advertising cleaning services sign me up, boat could do with a thorough spring clean

:) 

Oh the products are really good, they have to be to make up for my ineptitude in applying them. :P

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I prefer Ecover Zero too. Unfortunately I can't buy it locally where I live now so I'm having to use bog standard Ecover. Still better than heavily perfumed products. 

I bought Method lavender spray cleaner last year and like you say, it was way too perfumed for me. The scent lingered for days.

Edited by BlueStringPudding
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I prefer Ecover Zero too. Unfortunately I can't buy it locally where I live now so I'm having to use bog standard Ecover. Still better than heavily perfumed products. 

I bought Method lavender spray cleaner last year and like you say, it was way too perfumed for me. The scent lingered for days.

I have that very same problem. Being as I live in the backend of nowhere I struggle to buy most of the Ecover products and have to order online, even in Inverness shopping can be a bit basic. 

I once bought some Method washing up liquid and I swear it smelt like kiddies shampoo, it was awful; and for the same reason I don't like their kitchen cleaners, though they work well the smell is just so OTT. But I like their spearmint bathroom cleaner and their sweet water hand wash.  

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Ecover washing up liquid have been a staple under my kitchen sinks for over 20 years

Same here (except the relevant cupboard is over the sink) - really good stuff. I have a suspicion, though, that it helps that our water is nice and soft

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

... Method washing up liquid and I swear it smelt like kiddies shampoo, it was awful;

I've never been a lover of artificial chemical "fragrances" since doing a job many years ago right next to the factory that made them. The mixture of several different smells was truly mind-boggling. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Same here (except the relevant cupboard is over the sink) - really good stuff. I have a suspicion, though, that it helps that our water is nice and soft

I've never been a lover of artificial chemical "fragrances" since doing a job many years ago right next to the factory that made them. The mixture of several different smells was truly mind-boggling. 

Being brought up in E Port the smell of detergent was a regular thing, it wasn't until I left I realised it wasn't normal :)

I also had a regular job near a cosmetic factory that smelt really strongly of blueberry showerwash.

mind you that was a lot better than the soap factory nr rock ferry

Dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Why are the windows that I've cleaned (first photo below) holding on to lots of droplets of rainwater (the rain stopped ages ago), whereas the dirty windows (second photo) aren't? This makes the dirty windows easier to see out of, which is the opposite to what I would expect. I'd have thought that particles of dust and cr*p would cause droplets and stuff to stick to the glass. 

? And importantly, does this mean I should never clean windows ever again?

20190625_142457.jpg

20190625_142519.jpg

Clean windows mean the surface tension is stronger so the raindrops hold onto the glass.   Mucky windows weaken the bonds.  So no, don't clean them, provided that you can put up with the raindrops making smeary marks as they give in to gravity!

That's my hypothesis, anyway.

• Greenie 1

If you check out Halfrauds car cleaning aisle you’ll find several hydrophobic glass treatments for car windscreens. Lots of different makes but they all achieve the same result - they make the water sheet off the glass. 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you check out Halfrauds car cleaning aisle you’ll find several hydrophobic glass treatments for car windscreens. Lots of different makes but they all achieve the same result - they make the water sheet off the glass. 

Sheet as in sheet off a shovel?

Another vote here for Ecover products, though for general cleaning vinegar or lemon juice are very good too.

• Greenie 1

There is no truth in the rumour that Ecover products are made entirely from dolphin blubber (a natural and renewable resource). They used to have a picture of dolphins on the label when they were first marketed, but that has nothing to do with it.

Jen