slow cooker

dreadnought

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi all,is it ok to leave the inverter on over night while using the slow cooker,thanks

Its OK but slow cookers are very inefficient radiating almost as much heat as used for cooking so make sure your batteries can handle it

200w for 10 hours is 2Kwh or 200Ah

Edited by ditchcrawler

8 hours ago, Rickent said:

Looks great, but does it actually work ?

We bought one a month ago after a thread on here.

Very good, well worth it. Just as good as the instant pot it replaced. 

It wont do big pieces of meat though...i.e. Legs of lamb.

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2019 at 19:57, ditchcrawler said:

Its OK but slow cookers are very inefficient radiating almost as much heat as used for cooking so make sure your batteries can handle it

200w for 10 hours is 2Kwh or 200Ah

We are thinking  of buying a slow cooker but I don’t think you’ve got your sums quite right. 

200w for 10 hours is 2 kWh. If using 240v, isn’t this 8.3 Ah? 

31 minutes ago, MHS said:

We are thinking  of buying a slow cooker but I don’t think you’ve got your sums quite right. 

200w for 10 hours is 2 kWh. If using 240v, isn’t this 8.3 Ah? 

Yes, but the OP was talking about leaving an inverter on overnight to run it, so the important figure is how much it takes out of the batteries to run it, so the 2kWhr works out at roughly 200Ahr from the assumed 12V batts, so the sums are good.

Jen

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, but the OP was talking about leaving an inverter on overnight to run it, so the important figure is how much it takes out of the batteries to run it, so the 2kWhr works out at roughly 200Ahr from the assumed 12V batts, so the sums are good.

Jen

So it’s going to be easier to leave a pot in a low oven than to risk your batteries. 

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

So it’s going to be easier to leave a pot in a low oven than to risk your batteries. 

Yes, 200Ahr is going to cane most boat battery banks, unless you run the cooker at the same time as you are cruising. Or take a look at the the thermal cooker @WotEver mentions. I've never tried one, but have heard good things about them.  Some boating neighbours used to do a lot of slow cooking with a pot on the top of the Squirrel stove during the winter. I keep meaning to try that.

Jen

Just now, Captain Fizz said:

Doesn't it get caught round the prop when you're cruising?

Ahhh now thats the clever bit. It has a removeable plug and doesnt therefore get tangled. This is why we have kitchen stuff we use whilst plugged in and different stuff when we are cruising, we is very clever :D

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Some boating neighbours used to do a lot of slow cooking with a pot on the top of the Squirrel stove during the winter. I keep meaning to try that.

It works very well, though you have to keep an eye on it to stop it boiling over if your stove is doing anything more than ticking over.

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

I really must get round to trying to insulate the cooking bit inside the outer case. We have it on during the day while cruising, we normally have cereal and cold milk for breakfast so wouldn't want to run it over night

On 23/06/2019 at 23:29, Rickent said:

Looks great, but does it actually work ?

Oh yes we have had one for a few years now. Its handy we can cook something at home and travel to the boat and tea is all ready.

It does cool down if you leave it to long but all you need to do is pull the pan out and heat up on a low heat on the hob and its soon warm.

Rice cooks lovely in there at the top along with a chilli at the bottom.

We have a slow cooker, obviously no problem in marina on hook up, when cruising we use it during the day, cook food after breakfast put into slow cooker start engine un-moor and cruise. when the engine is running since after the first few minutes in the morning the batteries don't take all the alternator output, the extra 20 amps at 12 volts will come straight from the alternator. They are thermostatic anyway so don't use 200 watt continuously once up to temperature. So just like the washing machine/microwave fine when cruising, with the engine on, just eat contents shortly after mooring.

13 minutes ago, Detling said:

They are thermostatic anyway so don't use 200 watt continuously once up to temperature. So just like the washing machine/microwave fine when cruising, with the engine on, just eat contents shortly after mooring.

I am not 100% sure on that point

On 25/06/2019 at 16:02, Taslim said:

Run the Cooker all day while moving. Eat in the evening.  Or are you needing to eat in the morning?

Yes that's the best use of a slow cooker on a boat. When I was spending long days moving single handed down the K&A it was great to have a hot meal ready as soon as I moored up in the evening.

On 22/08/2019 at 09:14, mrsmelly said:

We have a slow cooker and use it often. The orange lead that goes from the boat to a box on the bank seems to stop the combi making the batteries go flat.

And that's the other way of using them although my lead is blue. 

• Greenie 1