Filing Hole Left By Chimney

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I expect to have to do a long trawl through Google but it is worth a quick ask on here - what have people who have removed a stove done with the hole left in the roof?  I have just removed a stove and I now have a 160mm dia hole in my roof that I would like to convert into a ventilator. Has anyone found a source of suitable ventilators? I could put the roof collar back in to match up to a smaller ventilator but I'd rather not as the collar acts as a big heat sink and causes condensation.

I've done nothing with mine apart from putting a cap on the collar and filling it with spray-foam, been like that for 7 years really must get round to fixing it properly.

Don't get any condensation from it !

Edited by Loddon

I fitted a brass mushroom dome to the top of the spare collar by putting a stretcher bar across the top of the collar on to which the dome could be screwed. To reduce condensation drips there is a thin layer of spray foam on the inside of the collar. Works well. The mushroom dome is painted the obligatory red with white spots.

A bit more detail. The collar was originally for a vent pipe and chimney for a composting toilet. When that was removed and replaced with a cassette bog I was left with the collar in the roof. The spray foam was there to seal the plastic vent pipe. Sawing through the foam to remove the pipe left a thin layer still attached to the cast iron collar that has helped prevent it dripping condensation. Adding a mushroom dome turned it in to an additional vent, which is very useful for helping clothes dry in the bathroom. A suitable size mushroom vent was purchased. The stretcher bar on the base section was sawn off and holes drilled and tapped in the ends. This was a good fit in the top of the collar and is fitted with countersunk M6 screws through the collar.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I fitted a brass mushroom dome to the top of the spare collar by putting a stretcher bar across the top of the collar on to which the dome could be screwed. To reduce condensation drips there is a thin layer of spray foam on the inside of the collar. Works well. The mushroom dome is painted the obligatory red with white spots.

A bit more detail. The collar was originally for a vent pipe and chimney for a composting toilet. When that was removed and replaced with a cassette bog I was left with the collar in the roof. The spray foam was there to seal the plastic vent pipe. Sawing through the foam to remove the pipe left a thin layer still attached to the cast iron collar that has helped prevent it dripping condensation. Adding a mushroom dome turned it in to an additional vent, which is very useful for helping clothes dry in the bathroom. A suitable size mushroom vent was purchased. The stretcher bar on the base section was sawn off and holes drilled and tapped in the ends. This was a good fit in the top of the collar and is fitted with countersunk M6 screws through the collar.

Jen

That's one of those boat jobs that took a lot longer than you were expecting isn't it?

"I'll just bung a mushroom vent on there and we'll be in the pub for lunchtime."

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's one of those boat jobs that took a lot longer than you were expecting isn't it?

"I'll just bung a mushroom vent on there and we'll be in the pub for lunchtime."

It was surprisingly easy actually. The collar had had a cap over it for a long time after the old loo was removed. I took a tape measure to the chandlery and found a mushroom vent that was exactly the right size to fit. No one more surprised I can tell you.