Inserting Speedfit inserts

MHS

Featured Posts

I’ve had difficulty in the past getting 15mm inserts into a pipe when it is in an inaccessible spot. Do any of plumbing experts have any tips please? I wondered about a bit of spit, as I think other lubricants aren’t recommended. 

Were you using the superseal inserts with the o-rings? They are more difficult to get into the end of the pipe, but a smear of silicone grease on the o-rings might help. Otherwise just use the plain plastic inserts without o-rings. They go in easily and I really don't think they perform any differently.

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Were you using the superseal inserts with the o-rings? They are more difficult to get into the end of the pipe, but a smear of silicone grease on the o-rings might help. Otherwise just use the plain plastic inserts without o-rings. They go in easily and I really don't think they perform any differently.

No, just the standard ones. 

1 minute ago, harrybsmith said:

I had exactly the same problem, sat in a kitchen cupboard working upside down in the dark, warming the pipe gently with a hairdryer softened it just a tad and the insert slipped straight in.

I had wondered about a hairdryer. Luckily my wife owns one, as she has more hair than me!!

25 minutes ago, MHS said:

No, just the standard ones.

Depends which standard ones. The Speedfit ones go in ok but any other flavour forget it. The wall thicknesses of the various manufacturers' tube varies so Speedfit inserts in a different make of tube fits like the proverbial. Otherwise silicone grease as someone has said.

It's a minefield.

They are John Guest JG Speedfit inserts. It’s when you can’t grip the pipe easily to brace it while pushing it in. I think JG recommend not to use lubricants.  I might try the hair dryer approach. 

Edited by MHS

18 minutes ago, MHS said:

They are John Guest JG Speedfit inserts. It’s when you can’t grip the pipe easy to brace it while pushing it in. I think JG recommend not to use lubricants.  I might try the hair dryer approach. 

Yes but are they the JG white inserts with o-rings? They are much more difficult to get in than the ones without o-rings.

Also the o-rings inside the JG fittings are already lubricated with silicone grease so adding a bit to the inserts will be fine. 

There are lots of different brands and most will be fine, but if you really want to be sure there are WRAS approved water potable types available. 

https://acc-silicones.com/products/greases/water-potable-silicone-grease

Personally I wouldn't be messing about with hot air guns or hairdryers. The whole point of the inserts is to maintain the pipe's cylindrical shape. If you apply heat you may deform the pipe enough to cause a leak.

Anyway, you have some different opinions, it's your boat so it's up to you.

Edited by blackrose

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes but are they the JG white inserts with o-rings? They are much more difficult to get in than the ones without o-rings.

No, as per my post #4, they are the standard ones without. 

I take your point on the hair dryer, I certainly wouldn’t use a heat gun. 

Slightly soapy water is a good lube and washes away, whereas I would be bothered that Silicone will always be there.  I also find a sharp shove before the o ring is near the pipe also helps rather than sliding the o ring up to the pipe and then pushing.  

19 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Slightly soapy water is a good lube and washes away, whereas I would be bothered that Silicone will always be there.  I also find a sharp shove before the o ring is near the pipe also helps rather than sliding the o ring up to the pipe and then pushing.  

I did wonder about soapy water, but if you get any on the outside of the pipe, it will make it hard to grip. I could dip the insert in the water whilst holding the pipe. 

The standard inserts have no o ring. 

97F0CB72-04FF-4BB9-B164-F2C95BFC8089.png