Hemple epoxy primer/undercoat or Jotamastic 87?

Featured Posts

Which is best for priming aluminium? I have a couple of cans of Hemple which I was going to use, but I've noticed that the Jotamastic which I accidentally dripped onto the aluminium has stuck to it very well even though the aluminium wasn't keyed beforehand. However, there is nothing in the Jotamastic 87 technical datasheet that states it's suitable for priming aluminium.

Having spent years being involved in adhesive bonding I would not trust a zero hour bond as being a good indicator of life.  So you might have a strong mechanical bond now, but with difficult surfaces (like ally) give it a year or two and it may (probably will) start to fail if it was not primed correctly. 

I used the Reactive Resins Armourguard ST on my aluminium chimney collar about 3 years ago and its still doing fine. I wire brushed and cleaned with acetone as preparation. Reactive Resins have gone bust but I suspect the Jotamastic is very similar as they are both surface tolerant epoxy primers. Jotun now have Jotamastic 90 which they say is superior and I think the data sheet does say its good for ali.

............Dave

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Having spent years being involved in adhesive bonding I would not trust a zero hour bond as being a good indicator of life.  So you might have a strong mechanical bond now, but with difficult surfaces (like ally) give it a year or two and it may (probably will) start to fail if it was not primed correctly. 

Sorry I should have mentioned that the Jotamastic went onto the aluminium about a year ago.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

I used the Reactive Resins Armourguard ST on my aluminium chimney collar about 3 years ago and its still doing fine. I wire brushed and cleaned with acetone as preparation. Reactive Resins have gone bust but I suspect the Jotamastic is very similar as they are both surface tolerant epoxy primers. Jotun now have Jotamastic 90 which they say is superior and I think the data sheet does say its good for ali.

............Dave

I suppose I shouldn't use the Jotamastic 87 as it isn't really meant for aluminium. I'll use the Hemple epoxy. Thanks.