Supermarkets on the Macclesfield

RichLech

Featured Posts

Plans have changed. Due to Llangollen restrictions we are going to spend a bit of time on the Macclesfield instead. Can anyone please tell me of convenient supermarkets on the Macclesfield?

Many thanks.

The big Tesco's in Kidsgrove is by the Hardings Wood Junction end, so counts for the Macc as well as the T&M.

From memory, Plenty of shops in Congleton, though you are a bit of a walk from the town centre. Ditto for Macclesfield. A Co-op in Bollington and various shops in Marple. If you head along the upper Peak Forest, there is another big Tesco's at the Bugsworth junction and a Co-op plus other shops in Whaley Bridge.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Thereea Co-op in Macc just downhill from the pontoon by the Puss in Boots. If you don't fancy the trek down to Congleton (down is fine, up's a killer) , there's a shop just uphill from the wharf or a small shopping precinct up the steps from the cutting by the station. 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Short, easy walk into town at Marple where there's a range of smaller shops as well as an Asda.  The big hill back up from Macclesfield is a good candidate for a taxi!

The one from Congleton is worse. Nearly finished me off today! 

Also a store by the bridge at High Lane. But my advice would be to get as much as you can carry from the Kidsgrove Tesco as there aren't big supermarkets close to the canal until Whaley Bridge. Plenty of pubs though ? 

If you moor near to bridges 18 or 15 you can get the little bus into Poynton (391 / 392 bus I think) where there is an Aldi, a small Morrisons and a Waitrose along with several smaller shops and some good places to eat and drink. We think it's a nice place to spend a couple of hours. 

8 hours ago, Chris T said:

If you moor near to bridges 18 or 15 you can get the little bus into Poynton (391 / 392 bus I think) where there is an Aldi, a small Morrisons and a Waitrose along with several smaller shops and some good places to eat and drink. We think it's a nice place to spend a couple of hours. 

On a nice day, walking down and taking the bus back is a good option.

Agreed, although along the road, it's a nice walk.  It takes me about half an hour from bridge 15 to Waitrose.  Unfortunately the bus only runs until 5pm ish but a taxi back is a similar price to 2 bus tickets if you have heavy shopping.

Finished our brief visit to the Macclesfield and included the Peak Forest to Whaley Bridge & Bugsworth Basin. What lovely waterways! The views from the Peak Forest are magnificent. The history at Bugsworth Basin is fascinating.

Managed to get away with just the one shopping stop - at Whaley Bridge Tesco. Not a very pleasant experience but must be done.

Thanks for all the advice.

On 30/06/2019 at 16:19, RichLech said:

Finished our brief visit to the Macclesfield and included the Peak Forest to Whaley Bridge & Bugsworth Basin. What lovely waterways! The views from the Peak Forest are magnificent. The history at Bugsworth Basin is fascinating.

Managed to get away with just the one shopping stop - at Whaley Bridge Tesco. Not a very pleasant experience but must be done.

Thanks for all the advice.

What's wrong with Whaley bridge Tesco?   I've been there many times and it's no different to any other Tesco.  Your comment might put off others off from going there, so can you explain your unpleasant experience please?

I should have been more explicit. Nothing wrong with Tesco Whaley Bridge or anywhere else. Just that interrupting gentle cruising to endure supermarket shopping is something to be done as little as possible. When you have to do it, the Whaley Bridge store scores highly for convenience and I recommend it.

Passed your boat a day or so back, as we've just been up to Bugsworth and are on our way back now. Shopped in Tesco at Kidsgrove then at Whaley Bridge - Pingu is a Tesco addict - and will shop at Kidsgrove again in a few days time. No need to go anywhere else (except the pub of course. BTW the Ring o Bells at Marple is great again).