MPPT Controller - position?

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I'm close to fitting an MPPT controller for a single 150W panel and I'm taken aback by the size of the heatsink on the controller.  Will it give out so much heat that I need to fit it in the engine bay (cruiser stern) rather than in the cabin?  Free electrickery is good but I don't want to cook myself.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I'm close to fitting an MPPT controller for a single 150W panel and I'm taken aback by the size of the heatsink on the controller.  Will it give out so much heat that I need to fit it in the engine bay (cruiser stern) rather than in the cabin?  Free electrickery is good but I don't want to cook myself.

There is very little energy wasted as heat in these things. On mine you can scarcely notice the warmth by touch (250W controller). What heat there is, is generated in a concentrated area in a small number of electronic components inside and these don't like getting too hot (short life, failure), so the big heat sink is there to draw this heat away from these components and keep them cool.

Jen

5 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Out of interest is it a controller for big panels (say 30A) which could explain the size of the heat sink?