emergency services and what3words

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I know - but its only a few yards from our new mooring - lets see if I can get the actual mooring ………………...

53.1875272,-4.2052317

The"Swellies". Oh dear. It has been nice knowing you?

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The"Swellies". Oh dear. It has been nice knowing you?

No problem we had a previous boat on Anglesey for many years.

We could be over to Ireland in 3 hours, or the IoM in 3 hours. used to go over to Dublin for the weekend.

We are not talking sewer-tubes you know !!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I know - but its only a few yards from our new mooring - lets see if I can get the actual mooring ………………...

53.1875272,-4.2052317

That's on a rooftop :rolleyes:, this one ( 53.1876400,-4.205350 ) is at least on a boat (not necessarily yours).

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - keep it simple, just use the global GPS system.

53.177709,-4.2183597 will be the same in any language

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

53.1875272,-4.2052317

The first set is quite a long way from the second set if someone was trying to save your life.

No problem we had a previous boat on Anglesey for many years.

We are not talking sewer-tubes you know !!

Make sure you take lots of bog roll. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

The first set is quite a long way from the second set if someone was trying to save your life.

Maybe he needs w3w. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you move that one space down and left you get https://w3w.co/swimmer.monday.streaking

as a w3w address.

Someone has far too much time on their hands. Haven't you got noodles to deliver? 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Poetic justice. All them bike threads Alan started. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Now that looks pretty accurate. Just out of curiosity, where were you picking the previous Lat/Longs from?

I just wasn't zoomed in - just 'stabbing in the area'.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you move that one space down and left you get https://w3w.co/swimmer.monday.streaking

as a w3w address.

Mayday, Mayday Mayday this is Sea Wolf, Sea Wolf, Sea Wolf,  position "slash, slash, slash, swimmer stop Monday stop streaking" (repeat 3 times)………………………

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's kind of the point of w3w ...

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mayday, Mayday Mayday this is Sea Wolf, Sea Wolf, Sea Wolf,  position "slash, slash, slash, swimmer stop Monday stop streaking" (repeat 3 times)………………………

Flip the little cover up and press the red button Alan - it's much easier for them to find you!

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Except your position would be

///London. Jack. London

17 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I

Having said all that - when you say GPS is free - I cant find a way "in my phone" to find my GPS location, lat and long, or whatever, for "free". As soon as we enter the world of free stuff on apps or the internet, we immediately become a part of that product that you so dislike. So, whether we all become educated on Google Maps, Bing, What3words, and so on, someone, somewhere, is aiming to make some money out of us.

I think you have to pay for OS maps as well.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you have to pay for OS maps as well.

Viewranger is a free app that comes with OS mapping which is adequate for most purposes.

You can upgrade by purchasing additional mapping.

https://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

Alternatively you can buy a hand-held GPS that has OS mapping built in and SD cards with different regions or scales can be purchased.

I have the SatMap10 with the whole of the UK at scales of 1:50,000 (about the old 1" to the mile"), 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 (1mm on the screen = 10 metres in the real world.)

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Viewranger is a free app that comes with OS mapping which is adequate for most purposes.

You can upgrade by purchasing additional mapping.

https://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

Alternatively you can buy a hand-held GPS that has OS mapping built in and SD cards with different regions or scales can be purchased.

I have the SatMap10 with the whole of the UK at scales of 1:50,000 (about the old 1" to the mile"), 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 (1mm on the screen = 10 metres in the real world.)

That is essentially what I have been using for a number of years, I also use it occasionally for Geocaching which does raise some questions about the 'pinpoint' accuracy of W3W. Unless your smart phone is accessing military grade GPS the accuracy of positioning is somewhat variable depending upon location. My hand held tells me how many satellites it is fixing from and there have been a number of occasions where, due to poor or variable signal, it will give an accuracy of circa 40 feet (80 foot radius) so when people say that the W3W will give you where the doorway to the building is, I may be somewhat dubious:unsure:. I would suggest that if the algorithm is calculating the code within your phone an 9 foot squares but the accuracy of the GPS signal is 40 feet, there is every possibility that if you check 'current position' it will give you one set of words and if you immediately check it again it could well give you another set of words. Of course if you are online and using their map with the satellite image you may well get greater accuracy to which square the doorway in in.