Gas prices

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Also note that that is retail price, delivered in their area!

I did recently suggest to a boatyard selling gas at £35 that they speak to Chorley bottle gas about trade supplies.

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did recently suggest to a boatyard selling gas at £35 that they speak to Chorley bottle gas about trade supplies.

Chorley gas serve a few boats on our marina.

On 26/06/2019 at 10:38, TheBiscuits said:

I wouldn't, telling them is more likely to cause trouble for Chorley than lower the boatyard prices. 

14 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I smell a big rip off, orchestrated by Calor. We had a trade buyer earlier on this thread who said they are paying Calor more than other suppliers are charging the public. What the hell is going on?

Capitalism? ;)

18 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I smell a big rip off, orchestrated by Calor. We had a trade buyer earlier on this thread who said they are paying Calor more than other suppliers are charging the public. What the hell is going on?

This is entirely correct. One trade buyer has recently transferred their trade to another trader rather than Calor and can actually make some money now.

When you consider that the gas is actually burnt off as a waste product on most oil rigs and refineries, the mark-up and cartel like pricing is probably verging on  illegal if there were competition and an ombudsman......but dont complicate things eh.....we need a new PM.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This is entirely correct. One trade buyer has recently transferred their trade to another trader rather than Calor and can actually make some money now.

When you consider that the gas is actually burnt off as a waste product on most oil rigs and refineries, the mark-up and cartel like pricing is probably verging on  illegal if there were competition and an ombudsman......but dont complicate things eh.....we need a new PM.

Correct but typical. Companies bung water in bottles and charge a fortune for it. 

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

One flaw in your post. There IS competition for Calor. FloGas (and one or two others) were, iirc, set up specifically to break the Calor monopoly. The fact they dont do much of a job of it doesnt mean they are not there, competing. 

14 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Quantity discount? / delivery fixed charges? That certainly happens with diesel so why not gas?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One flaw in your post. There IS competition for Calor. FloGas (and one or two others) were, iirc, set up specifically to break the Calor monopoly. The fact they dont do much of a job of it doesnt mean they are not there, competing. 

I doubt they can do much of a job until all bottle gas suppliers are required by law to accept any other suppliers in date cylinders. I would change to a competitor in a trice apart from the fact when I am away from home I need a canal side supplier and that seems to always be Calor

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I doubt they can do much of a job until all bottle gas suppliers are required by law to accept any other suppliers in date cylinders. I would change to a competitor in a trice apart from the fact when I am away from home I need a canal side supplier and that seems to always be Calor

Totally agree. 

If FloGas started taking a Calor bottle in exchange, or better, or just charged a low enough rental on theirs for a year or two in order to get a stock of FLowGas bottles out there, this would result in a massive increase in their sales. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally agree. 

If FloGas started taking a Calor bottle in exchange, or better, or just charged a low enough rental on theirs for a year or two in order to get a stock of FLowGas bottles out there, this would result in a massive increase in their sales. 

But unless you can persuade all the chandlers, marinas etc to stock Flogas, you need to get Calor to accept non-Calor cylinders which might be a bit more difficult.

Some years ago a big tool hire place offered Flogas with no bottle deposit and, for a while, a free regulator.  After a while they changed to Calor, so I guess their system didn’t work.

On 28/06/2019 at 09:34, Mike the Boilerman said:

As i mentioned earlier, i've heard that Calor have bought out Flogas and one or two others. 

Another component of their unfounded price increases is that they purchase well ahead of delivery at low prices and as such are largely unaffected by barrel prices, etc.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

As i mentioned earlier, i've heard that Calor have bought out Flogas and one or two others. 

Another component of their unfounded price increases is that they purchase well ahead of delivery at low prices and as such are largely unaffected by barrel prices, etc.

They will keep increasing prices until their sales start to drop.  With their near monopoly in a number of areas, waterways being one of them, they will have it their own way until the pips start squeaking and seek out alternatives.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yesterday we bought the cheapest bottle of gas in 20 months at £27.80 from Venetian Marina. 

We buy there too, they have held that price on 13kg Calor for a long time, all power to them. Last time we went we got 6 bottles.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

We buy there too, they have held that price on 13kg Calor for a long time, all power to them. Last time we went we got 6 bottles.

There're exceptionally lovely people too. We were looking for a couple of handles to grab hold off when going on/off the boat, the man gave us a sample of one he uses on his hire boats and told us to get them off Ebay. They also gave us half doz brass screws free. If we're passing by again, we'll be sure to use them for a diesel top up, and anything else we'll be needing. 

On 27/06/2019 at 19:56, matty40s said:

I'm not suggesting Calor pricing isn't dodgy, but clearly gas burnt off on an oil rig doesn't have to be bottled and transported. The cost of a product isn't always the obvious one (I work with software where it costs almost nothing to produce each copy of the product...)

You're right about one thing though - we still need a new PM

23 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

There're exceptionally lovely people too. We were looking for a couple of handles to grab hold off when going on/off the boat, the man gave us a sample of one he uses on his hire boats and told us to get them off Ebay. They also gave us half doz brass screws free. If we're passing by again, we'll be sure to use them for a diesel top up, and anything else we'll be needing. 

Agreed.