Gas prices

Featured Posts

On 22/06/2019 at 15:50, Nightwatch said:

Paid £35 this morning from Mountbatten in Braunston. If you break down to a daily cost it's not too bad. But dearer than it was.

13kg at Braunston Marina is £34.00 and we dont make much profit. We sell it as a service to boaters.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:14, blackrose said:

Well I just paid £34 yesterday so now I'm p*ssed off! 

It had been a good 6 months since I'd been there so when I got there I said "How much is it now - am I going to get a shock?" and she said no, but then she rang up £46 and I almost fell over! But then she said "Oh no, sorry that's patio gas" 

So when I eventually paid £34 I felt rather relieved.

I paid £35.50 @ Wigrams Turn about 10 days ago. More significantly why would Patio Gas cost £12 more? Shades of screw the consumer?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do they fill their own?

I don't think they do, it's just that they are in strong competition with another local supplier. The cheap one in Castleford fills their own I believe (turned out the one I bought there was a bit 'light' and only lasted 6 weeks instead of the expected ?

3 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

13kg at Braunston Marina is £34.00 and we dont make much profit. We sell it as a service to boaters.

We were going to pop into the marina for a pumpout and a gas bottle but the edges had just been painted, very nice too, and we didn't want to spoil the appearance and get paint on fenders etc. Could have saved myself a pound.

3 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Would you care to comment on whether Etruria selling at £26.15 must therefore be selling at a loss (assuming legit Calor refills)? 

A few months ago we stopped at a small boatyard for coal and gas, the manager said he doesn't stock gas but he used to. When his regular customers stopped buying gas from him, he asked a few of them why. The answer he got was that the bottles were cheaper from B&Q (or some other same type of store). The store was selling it at a lower price than he could buy it in.

We've got to have gas, and seeing that we don't have a car, I'm happy to pay a price that keeps everyone happy.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Would you care to comment on whether Etruria selling at £26.15 must therefore be selling at a loss (assuming legit Calor refills)? 

Price of fuel for vehicles at filling stations does depend on the contract which the individual retailer manages to negotiate with the distributed. I recall about 4 years ago talking to a boatyard which had two sites a few miles apart. The price of diesel at each was noticeably different. The explanation was that their supplier's wholesale price depended on the volume delivered and one of their tanks was much larger than the other.

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought was no longer allowed

I am not aware of any law that stops calor or any other company setting prices. I have checked Calors wording and it does say recommended prices so a retailer could sell at a lower price. Rember though we are talking about Braunston Marina prices !!!

2 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

I am not aware of any law that stops calor or any other company setting prices. I have checked Calors wording and it does say recommended prices so a retailer could sell at a lower price. Rember though we are talking about Braunston Marina prices !!!

You said set, not recommend which is why I questioned it. I wont comment on Braunston's pricing structure as I am quite indebted to Tim who did me a big favour many years ago. 

10 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Braunston prices are set by Calor. I have no idea how Eutria can sell at the lower price.

As I have said previously in this thread, you can get FAR better prices for wholesale Calor gas than from Calor itself. You just have to find out who is selling to the people who are selling it cheaper than anyone else.

Then come to an agreement with that supplier,maybe taking solid fuel as well to ensure a full lorry load, then cancel your Calor contract.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You said set, not recommend which is why I questioned it. I wont comment on Braunston's pricing structure as I am quite indebted to Tim who did me a big favour many years ago. 

Sorry, yes i did say set but that was from memory. Its definitely a recommended price.

You and i have met in the past at a lock in Stoke on Trent. You are always most welcome st Braunston and if i can help you in any way it will be a pleasure. Enjoy your boating. I am very close to retiring and joining you.

17 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

Sorry, yes i did say set but that was from memory. Its definitely a recommended price.

You and i have met in the past at a lock in Stoke on Trent. You are always most welcome st Braunston and if i can help you in any way it will be a pleasure. Enjoy your boating. I am very close to retiring and joining you.

Its the best job I have ever had? Tim had the best pumpout machine in the area when we were around that way.

50 minutes ago, matty40s said:

As I have said previously in this thread, you can get FAR better prices for wholesale Calor gas than from Calor itself. You just have to find out who is selling to the people who are selling it cheaper than anyone else.

Then come to an agreement with that supplier,maybe taking solid fuel as well to ensure a full lorry load, then cancel your Calor contract.

I'm intrigued. Are you saying you can buy legitimately refilled, genuine Calor-branded gas bottles from suppliers other than Calor gas?

If so, who? 

Or are you using the term loosely an you are writing about LPG from competitors to Calor, e.g. FlowGas etc?

On 22/06/2019 at 15:29, alan_fincher said:

We were recently disappointed to get charged £35 fr a 13Kg Propane in Hebden Bridge.

As I was in my local agricultural merchant today I asked their price for a 13kg propane exchange  - £29+5%VAT=£30.45. They are canalside at Mytholmroyd, though you might have a bit of difficulty getting ashore to their yard through the offside undergrowth.

http://www.calvagservices.co.uk

On 23/06/2019 at 20:05, RichLech said:

£29.00 earlier this week from Kings Bromley Marina. This could have been a special price for moorers at KB or other Castle marinas.

That's odd, I moor at one of their marinas and noticed on Sunday that the sign on the inside of the window of the facilities building said £35.50.

slim has also mentioned the same price at another Castle Marina nearby.

As i understand it Calor have bought out all of their viable competition (flogas, budget, etc). This just prior to the huge price increases, it must put them close to a monopoly. Their pricing was a source of annoyance for their network of suppliers with some receiving much better prices to others in the same area/similar volume of sales. 

As a company, it has declined since being bought by a Dutch asset stripping outfit in the late 90's, now having sold all property (and renting it back!).

On 22/06/2019 at 14:36, MoominPapa said:

Just went the garage I used to use regularly when we moored at Bill Fen, when it was reasonable. Price for 13Kg Propane was £43! Needless to say, I didn't bother. Found a local agric. merchant who has them at £34.95, but when I got there, they only had high-top cylinders which don't fit our gas locker.

Hmph.

No problem,  When the garage at Bill Fen has no bottles in, he will be charging £34.95 for them as well!

The old jokes are the best.

George

3 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Well 13kg propane only £25 at chorley gas. That's quite a big difference. Not complaining 

You carefully avoid saying "Calor". Is it "Calor" brand or FloGas or some other supplier?

It's worth pointing out the different brands of LPG bottle are not swappable with one another, so once you commit to say Calor Gas bottles, you can't exchange a Calor empty for a FLoGas refill.

36 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Well 13kg propane only £25 at chorley gas. That's quite a big difference. Not complaining 

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You carefully avoid saying "Calor". Is it "Calor" brand or FloGas or some other supplier?

It's worth pointing out the different brands of LPG bottle are not swappable with one another, so once you commit to say Calor Gas bottles, you can't exchange a Calor empty for a FLoGas refill.

It is for Calor.

Some difference!

https://chorleybottlegas.co.uk/shop/calor-gas-lpg-cylinders/13kg-calor-gas-propane-gas-refill/