Gas prices

Featured Posts

I called for a 13KG bottle of Calor at Venetian Marina yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to be charged just £27.80. I say just because a couple of months ago I was charged over 34 quid for the same thing at another marina.

What's going on here? I know prices for the same thing can vary a little but this is a full 20% difference. My feeling is that Calor try to get their stockists to charge a 'recommended price' (this has been illegal for decades), one or two suppliers do their own thing, still make a decent mark up at a much lower price. It might be an interesting case for the competition and markets authority to look into.   

30 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I called for a 13KG bottle of Calor at Venetian Marina yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to be charged just £27.80. I say just because a couple of months ago I was charged over 34 quid for the same thing at another marina.

What's going on here? I know prices for the same thing can vary a little but this is a full 20% difference. My feeling is that Calor try to get their stockists to charge a 'recommended price' (this has been illegal for decades), one or two suppliers do their own thing, still make a decent mark up at a much lower price. It might be an interesting case for the competition and markets authority to look into.   

Fuel prices generally are dropping - diesel at our local garage has gone down by 10p litre over the last month. (now at 127p)

Well I just paid £34 yesterday so now I'm p*ssed off! 

It had been a good 6 months since I'd been there so when I got there I said "How much is it now - am I going to get a shock?" and she said no, but then she rang up £46 and I almost fell over! But then she said "Oh no, sorry that's patio gas" 

So when I eventually paid £34 I felt rather relieved.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You cannot really complain if its only costing you under £6 per month for gas

I'm not really bothered about a few quid - I wasn't really pissed off. But I will look around for cheaper suppliers now that I know the price has gone down.

Just went the garage I used to use regularly when we moored at Bill Fen, when it was reasonable. Price for 13Kg Propane was £43! Needless to say, I didn't bother. Found a local agric. merchant who has them at £34.95, but when I got there, they only had high-top cylinders which don't fit our gas locker.

Hmph.

Calor seem to be seriously taking the piss at the moment. I wonder if we could get a sensible number of boatyards and fuel boats to stock Flogas instead?

MP.

I use Flogas in my caravan but I had to get a new regulator to fit the cylinder. I use the 7 kg size and I get it delivered for £16 a cylinder!. The price has been the same for the last few years. Amazing service although I appreciate  that it might not help boaters - but it might! I presume that the Flogas company is not confined to Scotland 

Haggis 

3 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Very good! Three days ago we paid £29.90 at Kings Orchard Marina on the Cov. Six weeks previously we paid £35 at Sileby Mill Boatyard on the River Soar.

1 hour ago, bastion said:

At that price they must be selling at a loss, we are buying in at over £30.

Change supplier.  Calor have you over a canister if you order direct. There are wholesalers who will sell you calor gas £10 less than calor charge you. 

Shop around and boot Calor out.

We were recently disappointed to get charged £35 fr a 13Kg Propane in Hebden Bridge.

But checking Calor's retail price, it is currently £35.50, so maybe people charging around that mark are not seriously taking the pee?

I think I had paid around £32 on one of the well known uel boats about a month earlier, but don't still have the invoice t check.

Sub £30 would I think be a pretty good deal.

4 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I noticed this at Venetian, excellent price. I have paid 35 quid elsewhere at times.

Am I right in thinking that Flo Gas and Budget Gas are both owned by Calor .My local Budget Gas supplierhas just supplied me with gas in a Calor bottle because the distribution centre had run out of Budget Gas bottles.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Very good! Three days ago we paid £29.90 at Kings Orchard Marina on the Cov. Six weeks previously we paid £35 at Sileby Mill Boatyard on the River Soar.

13kg on Thursday was £35 from Sileby Mill.

Think yourselves lucky that you don't have to use the little 3.9Kg bottles.  I've been paying the rip-off price of £16 for these for years, but was dischuffed to be asked for £21 for one at Stanley Ferry Marina recently.  When I expressed surprise, the chap said prices had shot up recently, and consulted his list to read out a price of over £40 for the 13Kg.

10 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Think yourselves lucky that you don't have to use the little 3.9Kg bottles.  I've been paying the rip-off price of £16 for these for years, but was dischuffed to be asked for £21 for one at Stanley Ferry Marina recently.  When I expressed surprise, the chap said prices had shot up recently, and consulted his list to read out a price of over £40 for the 13Kg.

£35.50 from Calor today (+£5 delivery).

https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/all/gas-bottles/13kg-propane-gas-bottle.html

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The £27.80 bloke is probably refilling the bottles himself at a petrol station. 

Doubtful to be honest. Three very big suppliers of Calor near our mooring where charging between 28 and 29 quid when we were there a few weeks ago, whlist one a couple of miles away was charging 35 quid. The most I ever paid over the winter was 40 odd quid at a local garage (run out of gas on a Sunday.)