Braunston Historic Boat Rally

Featured Posts

I know Chertsey is there, and Hampton and Cyprus were reported elsewhere as on their way, and in Blisworth tunnel.

We can't now get Flamingo there, but are still reasonably optimistic that Sickle will be.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I know Chertsey is there, and Hampton and Cyprus were reported elsewhere as on their way, and in Blisworth tunnel.

We can't now get Flamingo there, but are still reasonably optimistic that Sickle will be.

Yes, Chertsey andAldgate are there. Been there on the 48 hour moorings for nearly a week. Hasty is likewise. Hampton and Cyprus went through Norton Junction early afternoon.

We haven't escaped the Rochdale but we have escaped Braunston. Love the show but wouldn't want to be aboard a boat during the show restriction times.

Python is currently at Barrow upon Soar with some fresh crew joining her in the morning to continue with the journey. 

Can I ask here (because the paperwork is on Python and I am not) can anyone tell me what time the parade starts please? 

P.S. It was us who spotted Hampton in Blisworth tunnel:

64767769_10157162819549070_2596997459230

Edited by cheshire~rose

14 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Python is currently at Barrow upon Soar with some fresh crew joining her in the morning to continue with the journey. 

Can I ask here (because the paperwork is on Python and I am not) can anyone tell me what time the parade starts please? 

Saturday parade starts at 11 I believe.

40 minutes ago, IanM said:

Saturday parade starts at 11 I believe.

Yes, the information I have seen so far only indicates that there are two parades on Saturday, (with the first starting at 11), but only one on the Sunday.

I think that's how they played it last year as well?

I guess any greater info will be in the boater packs that they hand out when you arrive, rather than anything that gets posted to you in advance.

The opening ceremony is at 11.00 am.  The first parade will follow on.  As Python is involved in the opening ceremony, it will be required to be in position before 11.00 am.  Actual timing will probably be advised to the skipper by Graham Scothern's team on site.  It could be up to half an hour earlier.  Tim and the dignitaries normally embark by the Stop House.  The opening ceremony boats need to be facing the locks which will likely involve either winding (at the turn) or reversing.

So if you want to be there to get on Python before it sets off, aim for before 10.00 am.  If you just want to see it opening the show, then by 11.00 am. 

18 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

I can confirm Python has now left Barrow. 

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

I can confirm Python has now left Barrow. 

Good grief, sounds like I've had a reptile infestation.

21 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Yes, Chertsey andAldgate are there. Been there on the 48 hour moorings for nearly a week. Hasty is likewise. Hampton and Cyprus went through Norton Junction early afternoon.

We haven't escaped the Rochdale but we have escaped Braunston. Love the show but wouldn't want to be aboard a boat during the show restriction times.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, is this mission creep. Let the discussion begin....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Did they drop a hand grenade in Loughborough, navigation closed at bridge 26.....

I heard the navigation was closed,  police incident apparently. 

It was a hand grenade,  just looked at Loughborough news.

23 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

P.S. It was us who spotted Hampton in Blisworth tunnel.

What a great picture. Thanks for posting. Sorry if we didn't give you a cheery greeting.

We're hoping that our former boat, Owl will be making it to the show. 

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

What a great picture. Thanks for posting. Sorry if we didn't give you a cheery greeting.

We're hoping that our former boat, Owl will be making it to the show. 

Thank you and I think you did greet us? In those seconds where he was trying to ensure he kept power on so the passing didn't pull us into the path if the second boat while I am busy admiring/ trying to identify the boats and get photos  it all gets a little hazy

It was actually a pleasure to find boats with tunnel lamps that weren't dazzling us (as the boat that was a long way ahead had been. 

...and Python is in Leicester, where they promptly closed the canal 15 minutes after she passed through.

Magnet fishing had pulled up a hand grenade so the bomb squad turned up and closed it all off 

Photo courtesy of Rob Pearson who kindly shuffled up on the pontoon to make room

65310411_10219969188848501_5464946804388

11 hours ago, Lady C said:

The opening ceremony is at 11.00 am.  The first parade will follow on.  As Python is involved in the opening ceremony, it will be required to be in position before 11.00 am.  Actual timing will probably be advised to the skipper by Graham Scothern's team on site.  It could be up to half an hour earlier.  Tim and the dignitaries normally embark by the Stop House.  The opening ceremony boats need to be facing the locks which will likely involve either winding (at the turn) or reversing.

So if you want to be there to get on Python before it sets off, aim for before 10.00 am.  If you just want to see it opening the show, then by 11.00 am. 

Thank you, that is really helpful. 

I am hoping that Violet Kitt will be coming to the festival and if she does make it then I wanted her to have the opportunity to travel on Python if she wishes. 

(She spent time on Python as a young girl when her father was working the boat)

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

That's strange, it's usually India and Pakistan with coconut gifts...

Except on the Coventry into the city.

Coconuts and vodka bottles bob along in harmony.