Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
David Schweizer

Braunston Historic Boat Rally

Featured Posts

As no one has started a thread on any of the boats  which have started to arrive for this year's rally, together with and those which are expected to attend, I am starting this thread in anticipation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Chertsey is there, and Hampton and Cyprus were reported elsewhere as on their way, and in Blisworth tunnel.

We can't now get Flamingo there, but are still reasonably optimistic that Sickle will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boat is booked in but will not now be attending, perhaps next year.

 

ALDGATE and CHERTSEY were both at Braunston when I was there on Tuesday :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't got a historic boat but as usual I will be bringing "my" historic narrow boat captain on Saturday.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I know Chertsey is there, and Hampton and Cyprus were reported elsewhere as on their way, and in Blisworth tunnel.

We can't now get Flamingo there, but are still reasonably optimistic that Sickle will be.

Yes, Chertsey andAldgate are there. Been there on the 48 hour moorings for nearly a week. Hasty is likewise. Hampton and Cyprus went through Norton Junction early afternoon.

We haven't escaped the Rochdale but we have escaped Braunston. Love the show but wouldn't want to be aboard a boat during the show restriction times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Python is currently at Barrow upon Soar with some fresh crew joining her in the morning to continue with the journey. 

 

Can I ask here (because the paperwork is on Python and I am not) can anyone tell me what time the parade starts please? 

 

P.S. It was us who spotted Hampton in Blisworth tunnel:

 

64767769_10157162819549070_2596997459230

 

 

Edited by cheshire~rose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Python is currently at Barrow upon Soar with some fresh crew joining her in the morning to continue with the journey. 

 

Can I ask here (because the paperwork is on Python and I am not) can anyone tell me what time the parade starts please? 

 

P.S. It was us who spotted Hampton in Blisworth tunnel:

 

64767769_10157162819549070_2596997459230

 

Saturday parade starts at 11 I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, IanM said:

Saturday parade starts at 11 I believe.

Yes, the information I have seen so far only indicates that there are two parades on Saturday, (with the first starting at 11), but only one on the Sunday.

I think that's how they played it last year as well?

I guess any greater info will be in the boater packs that they hand out when you arrive, rather than anything that gets posted to you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The opening ceremony is at 11.00 am.  The first parade will follow on.  As Python is involved in the opening ceremony, it will be required to be in position before 11.00 am.  Actual timing will probably be advised to the skipper by Graham Scothern's team on site.  It could be up to half an hour earlier.  Tim and the dignitaries normally embark by the Stop House.  The opening ceremony boats need to be facing the locks which will likely involve either winding (at the turn) or reversing.

 

So if you want to be there to get on Python before it sets off, aim for before 10.00 am.  If you just want to see it opening the show, then by 11.00 am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Python is currently at Barrow upon Soar with some fresh crew joining her in the morning to continue with the journey. 

 

Can I ask here (because the paperwork is on Python and I am not) can anyone tell me what time the parade starts please? 

 

P.S. It was us who spotted Hampton in Blisworth tunnel:

 

64767769_10157162819549070_2596997459230

 

 

I can confirm Python has now left Barrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I can confirm Python has now left Barrow. 

About time too! 

I have a feeling her crew are enjoying themselves far too much 

😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rickent said:

I can confirm Python has now left Barrow. 

Good grief, sounds like I've had a reptile infestation.

 

21 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Yes, Chertsey andAldgate are there. Been there on the 48 hour moorings for nearly a week. Hasty is likewise. Hampton and Cyprus went through Norton Junction early afternoon.

We haven't escaped the Rochdale but we have escaped Braunston. Love the show but wouldn't want to be aboard a boat during the show restriction times.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, is this mission creep. Let the discussion begin....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rickent said:

I can confirm Python has now left Barrow. 

Did they drop a hand grenade in Loughborough, navigation closed at bridge 26.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Did they drop a hand grenade in Loughborough, navigation closed at bridge 26.....

I heard the navigation was closed,  police incident apparently. 

It was a hand grenade,  just looked at Loughborough news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

 

P.S. It was us who spotted Hampton in Blisworth tunnel.

What a great picture. Thanks for posting. Sorry if we didn't give you a cheery greeting.

 

We're hoping that our former boat, Owl will be making it to the show. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

What a great picture. Thanks for posting. Sorry if we didn't give you a cheery greeting.

 

We're hoping that our former boat, Owl will be making it to the show. 

 

 

 

 

Thank you and I think you did greet us? In those seconds where he was trying to ensure he kept power on so the passing didn't pull us into the path if the second boat while I am busy admiring/ trying to identify the boats and get photos  it all gets a little hazy

It was actually a pleasure to find boats with tunnel lamps that weren't dazzling us (as the boat that was a long way ahead had been. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and Python is in Leicester, where they promptly closed the canal 15 minutes after she passed through.

 

Magnet fishing had pulled up a hand grenade so the bomb squad turned up and closed it all off 

 

Photo courtesy of Rob Pearson who kindly shuffled up on the pontoon to make room

 

65310411_10219969188848501_5464946804388

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lady C said:

The opening ceremony is at 11.00 am.  The first parade will follow on.  As Python is involved in the opening ceremony, it will be required to be in position before 11.00 am.  Actual timing will probably be advised to the skipper by Graham Scothern's team on site.  It could be up to half an hour earlier.  Tim and the dignitaries normally embark by the Stop House.  The opening ceremony boats need to be facing the locks which will likely involve either winding (at the turn) or reversing.

 

So if you want to be there to get on Python before it sets off, aim for before 10.00 am.  If you just want to see it opening the show, then by 11.00 am. 

Thank you, that is really helpful. 

 

I am hoping that Violet Kitt will be coming to the festival and if she does make it then I wanted her to have the opportunity to travel on Python if she wishes. 

 

(She spent time on Python as a young girl when her father was working the boat)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rickent said:

Arabia is in Barrow Upon Soar. 

That's strange, it's usually India and Pakistan with coconut gifts...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's strange, it's usually India and Pakistan with coconut gifts...

Not this time 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

That's strange, it's usually India and Pakistan with coconut gifts...

Except on the Coventry into the city.

Coconuts and vodka bottles bob along in harmony.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.