Peak forest enabling acts

Featured Posts

Hey folks.

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have any copies of the peak forest canal enabling acts by any chance? 

Or any information regarding the tramway built at Marple for use before the lock flight was constructed.. 

I have already put in a request for these from crt but it'll take ages and I might need them sooner than that.. 

All the best! S

Grahame Boyes of the RCHS who was finally responsible for getting the Peak Forest Canal book published might help.

Bertram Baxter in Stone Blocks & Iron Rails states-

1 1/4 miles - 1 1/2 miles long opened 1800 and closed 1807 - Traffic was limestone. The track was removed on completion of Marple Locks.

8 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Grahame Boyes of the RCHS who was finally responsible for getting the Peak Forest Canal book published might help.

Bertram Baxter in Stone Blocks & Iron Rails states-

1 1/4 miles - 1 1/2 miles long opened 1800 and closed 1807 - Traffic was limestone. The track was removed on completion of Marple Locks.

Thanks that is a good contact, I shall try to get hold of him! 

On 21/06/2019 at 16:25, sparrowcycles said:

Hey folks.

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have any copies of the peak forest canal enabling acts by any chance? 

Or any information regarding the tramway built at Marple for use before the lock flight was constructed.. 

I have already put in a request for these from crt but it'll take ages and I might need them sooner than that.. 

All the best! S

Brian Lamb accumulated a huge archive on the Peak Forest but sadly the book was not published until after his death - I reviewed an early draft whilst he was still alive and my father discussed changes to the text with him. Graeme Boyes did much to get the book published.

I'll ask what happened to Brian's archive, I know his widow didn't keep it and I think Dad helped with the arrangements (Mum was still with us and was adamant it wasn't going to their house!)

I can't imagine CRT would have enabling acts to hand - the 1968 Transport Act and other similar legislation rendered most of the enabling acts largely obsolete (edited to add - as far as they covered anything that CRT are likely to get up to). This doesn't mean CRT can't lay their hands on a copy, just they won't have one on the shelves as it won't be relevant to day to day operations.  

The Railway and Canal Historical Society, however, probably does know where a copy can be found - so contacting them might be an idea. Joining would be an even better one, but then I would say that wouldn't I :) 

https://rchs.org.uk/

Edited by magpie patrick

Acts are usually quite easy to find, though it does depend upon where you are. The Waterways Archive at Ellesmere Port should have copies, and there are some in the BW papers held at the record office in Wakefield, Acc. No. C299. I would also expect Manchester Libraries to have copies in the local history section, and the British Libraru also has copies iof you are down south, where the House of Lords library will also hold copies.

On 26/06/2019 at 16:21, Pluto said:

Acts are usually quite easy to find, though it does depend upon where you are. The Waterways Archive at Ellesmere Port should have copies, and there are some in the BW papers held at the record office in Wakefield, Acc. No. C299. I would also expect Manchester Libraries to have copies in the local history section, and the British Libraru also has copies iof you are down south, where the House of Lords library will also hold copies.

Thanks I have an appointment to go to Wakefield to view these next week and some other documents relating to the tramway itself. Hopefully between there and the kind offer by George I will have all I need.. 

On 03/07/2019 at 11:01, Pluto said:

You may like this view of the tramway alongside the Buxton road. It comes from the RCHS Baxter collection, and there are several of the Peak Forest.

Peak Forest 261.jpg

Yes.  This is Barmoor Clough.  To avoid any confusion, the tramway is the nearest track which appears to show lines of stone sleepers with the rails removed.

The double track railway behind is the LNWR Stockport to Buxton line, still in use.

George

Yes Bertram took a range of images of the plateway from Bugsworth Basin and he also took a couple of the lock section, at the top, perhaps to indicate where the tramway there might have been laid.  The Barmouth Clough images were taken on September 26th 1928.

In his collection there are images from other sources. So there are two collections the Bertram Baxter Collection and the Bertram Baxter Negative Collection.