Lister gearbox oil

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

As i've mentioned before, I've never, as far as I can recall, changed the gearbox oil.  It was probably done on services, but the last rebuild was a couple of years ago so it needs doing now.  I've got some GL-4 Gear Oil EP 80W/90 from Halfords that says it's API GL-4 spec.  Can someone who knows about these things confirm this is the right stuff for the gearbox and, presumably, the reduction box?

Best wait for Richard but I would say yes. It is not as if either box are highly stressed.

GL-4 means it is suitable for hypoid and spiral bevel final drives so your helical and perhaps (no memory) double helical gears in the reduction box should be no problem.

Yes, use it

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Best wait for Richard but I would say yes. It is not as if either box are highly stressed.

GL-4 means it is suitable for hypoid and spiral bevel final drives so your helical and perhaps (no memory) double helical gears in the reduction box should be no problem.

No double helical gears, Petter seem to have used those in reduction boxes. The main box is all straight cut gears, the reduction box has helical ones. 

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Any suggestions as to how to get the old oil out? I physically can't get to the drain plugs and my suction doofer tube is too big for the dipstick tubes, and I suspect if I get a tube thin enough the oil will be too thick to pass through it. I tried a tube down the filler hole but couldonly get half a litre out. 

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Any suggestions as to how to get the old oil out? I physically can't get to the drain plugs and my suction doofer tube is too big for the dipstick tubes, and I suspect if I get a tube thin enough the oil will be too thick to pass through it. I tried a tube down the filler hole but couldonly get half a litre out. 

You could go for a short cruise to warm up the oil, it will be thinner then.  Reversing the boat will warm up the gearbox more, but not for too long.

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You could go for a short cruise to warm up the oil, it will be thinner then.  Reversing the boat will warm up the gearbox more, but not for too long.

I did run the engine for a while in gear before trying. I'm always a bit wary of overusing reverse. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I did run the engine for a while in gear before trying. I'm always a bit wary of overusing reverse. 

Yes the whole train of gears are moving in reverse so no longer than about ten minutes.

I don't watch F1 anymore I find it dreadfully boring now and much prefer GP2 or Superbikes.  It would be more interesting if they brought back refueling, but not with a huge clamp on leak free hose but a bloke that wanders out at the pits in a mackintosh and Trilby smoking a pipe with a churn full of petrol and a big funnel like they used to do.

Sorry wrong thread. Could a mod please transfer it to the Lewis thread.

Edited by bizzard