Separate mini inverter for oven ignition and fan

Poppin

Featured Posts

I need a 240v supply for my oven (ignition and fan). I was thinking about tapping into existing inverter wiring and running to a switch. However, the current inverter wiring runs the other side of the boat and bulkheads / countertops make this idea very very difficult. I could also run artic cable from the 240 distribution box at the back on the boat, but again bulkheads make hiding the cable difficult. 

I'm now thinking it's easiest to just buy a new mini inverter to install under the oven, it wouldn't need to be pure sine. Anything wrong with this? What would I do about earthing? 

1 minute ago, Poppin said:

I'm now thinking it's easiest to just buy a new mini inverter to install under the oven, it wouldn't need to be pure sine. Anything wrong with this? What would I do about earthing? 

Then you need to run much heavier 12V cabling and add another RCD or RCBO and add an earth return.  It would be much easier just to take a single length of arctic cable from the distribution board you have.

Can you not just fish it through your existing conduit with a bit of faffing rather than move bulkheads?

You can buy ignition units for 12 volts DC or 220 volts AC  - I can't remeber where they are sole but hob suppliers for boats may be able to help. The units are free stsanding ie. not made as part of the hob or oven so switching from your exisitng one is a easy

Just now, Stevec said:

You can buy ignition units for 12 volts DC or 220 volts AC  - I can't remeber where they are sole but hob suppliers for boats may be able to help. The units are free stsanding ie. not made as part of the hob or oven so switching from your exisitng one is a easy

Won't work the fan or the light though on this specific oven.  

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Then you need to run much heavier 12V cabling and add another RCD or RCBO and add an earth return.  It would be much easier just to take a single length of arctic cable from the distribution board you have.

Easier to get a proper boat oven and sell the 'wrong one'.

We have a small shoebox shaped inverter to power the cooker ignition and fans. It’s fed from the fridge supply so no problem with wire size. It’s controlled by a remote switch mounted near the cooker, so it’s only on when the cooker’s in use.

We have a small 75watt inverter that plugs into a lighter socket to charge our cleaner. We hired a boat on Lough Erne a couple of years ago and they used the same inverter on their cruisers for exactly the same application as yours. There was a shipping box of them in reception so I don't know how reliable they are but ours still works. About £7 on eBay at the time.

6 hours ago, Johny London said:

Just a thought - will the fan run well from a non sine wave inverter? I heard motors can run hotter or fail to start?

It will probably run. It will definitely run hotter. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/06/2019 at 10:40, BruceinSanity said:

We have a small shoebox shaped inverter to power the cooker ignition and fans. It’s fed from the fridge supply so no problem with wire size. It’s controlled by a remote switch mounted near the cooker, so it’s only on when the cooker’s in use.

Oh - just spotted this - I was reading the instructions from Shoreline today and they say about not connecting anything else to the fridge supply, because it will cause a voltage drop that can cause the fridge to cut out.

56 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Oh - just spotted this - I was reading the instructions from Shoreline today and they say about not connecting anything else to the fridge supply, because it will cause a voltage drop that can cause the fridge to cut out.

All I can say is that we have a Shoreline fridge and it hasn’t been a problem in the last eight years of (until this year) at least six months cruising per year. Depends on how hefty the supply cable is, I guess, and of course the inverter is only on for short periods, an hour at most when using the oven.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

All I can say is that we have a Shoreline fridge and it hasn’t been a problem in the last eight years of (until this year) at least six months cruising per year. Depends on how hefty the supply cable is, I guess, and of course the inverter is only on for short periods, an hour at most when using the oven.

Plus the current required to run an oven fan is the square root of bugger all :)